GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Star Ocean: anyone played?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Star Ocean: Till the End of Time'.
Tue 26/10/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
At first glance looks quite interesting. Isnt much info in the special reserve reviews. Has anyone got it and does it compare with anything?
Fri 29/10/04 at 18:47
"period drama"
As for the AI, when Cliff started to run away from all the enemies and side-step like a spastic (even when there was only 1 left), and then when he killed himself by using all his MP up, I wasn't too impressed.

Yeah, change the tactics, but that really shouldn't ever happen.

Although it is amazingly fun when you all just team up on one monster and beat the living shee-ite out of it. Or when you keep it up in the air between you, that's pretty good.
Fri 29/10/04 at 18:45
"period drama"
Have you got whatever item it is that lets your break stuff yet?
I saw it on the interviews, expected to get it by now - there's so much stuff you can't reach right away. rargh.

I think my battle trophies save got corrupted some how - it won't save it anymore if I get a new one, but all the old ones still show up from the main menu. And you can't start again with them, can you?
How very annoying.
Fri 29/10/04 at 10:15
Regular
"Anger leads to hate"
I'd buy it,

So far i've put near 60 hours into it, i'm well into the second dvd now me thinks, but to too sure how far off the end i am. There's loads of side-quests to go back to (i haven't done that many, and still rack up the hours!) The computer controlled AI actully is quiet good i thought, it learns what moves/tactics/magic you like to use on a character and uses em in battle. You can also tell the AI what to do and what magic to use, so don't know how FFF was finding it a bit naff, unless you haven't figured out how to turn off certain spells in battle.
Camera can be a bit annoying, but thats what the maps for, and you can rotate the camera sometimes for a better angle.
I'll do a review on it when i complete the full story.
Thu 28/10/04 at 20:20
"period drama"
But buy it, do.
Thu 28/10/04 at 20:19
"period drama"
I dunno how you'd compare it to Skies. But I don't think it's any better.
It's really great and enjoyable ... if a tad tedious in places (but, it's an RPG, so what did you expect) - but something's slightly lacking to bring it to Skies levels.

Also, the camera is really annoying.
If you've played Grandia 2 you'll know the thing - it almost looks straight down on your character, so you can't look around the places very well (shame, because they're usually stunning) and can't get your bearings very well.

And you usually run right into enemies because you can't see far enough in front of you. It's even more annoying when if (very occasinally) comes down closer to the horizontal and you see the game can actually draw the depth in well enough.
Thu 28/10/04 at 20:16
"period drama"
Well, I'm not a big fan of the battle system ... but I think I'm in a minority here.

Basically, it's in real-time, so on the battle-map (where you go when you run into a monster - yes, they actually exist, no random encounters, yey) you only control 1 of your 3-man party at a time.

You can run around freely, deciding which enemy to take on then you can use attacks by pressing X or O (weak and strong attacks) or hold them down to do special attacks.
You can also do magic through a menu.

It's really good if you're on your own, but otherwise you have to rely on the (not very good) AI to control the rest of your party, which I don't like.
Wed 27/10/04 at 21:32
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I'm playing it at the moment. It's bloody massive, from what I can
> tell. I seem to have done tonnes, and there's still tonnes to do.
>
> One of the better RPGs of recent times, although it can get a bit
> irritating in parts for some reason. Beautiful, too. Good story
> (actually funny in parts, touching in others) and some decent
> characters.
>
> It's worth buying, no doubt.

How does it compare with skies of arcadia? and the battle system seems a little strange. how does that work?
Wed 27/10/04 at 18:07
"period drama"
I'm playing it at the moment. It's bloody massive, from what I can tell. I seem to have done tonnes, and there's still tonnes to do.

One of the better RPGs of recent times, although it can get a bit irritating in parts for some reason. Beautiful, too. Good story (actually funny in parts, touching in others) and some decent characters.

It's worth buying, no doubt.
Tue 26/10/04 at 15:49
Regular
"Its all me,me,me,me"
At first glance looks quite interesting. Isnt much info in the special reserve reviews. Has anyone got it and does it compare with anything?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.