GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stop Killing the Villains"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/07/05 at 11:59
Regular
"not dead"
Bond was better when he had Blofeld to deal with, and the threat of SPECTRE. Blofeld and his organisation had time to develop over a number of movies, and we knew what the threat was right away. Yeah there were all of the sub-divisions and plots he had to deal with - eg Goldfinger, but at least it was a proper threat. The worst recent example would have to be Tomorrow Never Dies, when our villain is a media chap. Ooh, scary. I can't help but think that the quality of the Bond movies would improve if SPECTRE still existed, sometihng consistent to tie the films together.

If you want to really see the problem with multiple villians though, with a new one for each movie, look no further than Star Wars. Darth Vader. Bad Guy in the first movie, gets blasted off into space. But he's okay, and back in the second, when we learn that he's actually Luke's father! Then in the third, there's redemption. What an arc! What a villain!

New movies, Darth Maul looks like he could be a fantastic villain for the trilogy. But he dies at the end of the first movie. Damn. But that's okay, because we've got Count Dooku (albeit in a rather confused role) he's bound to play a significant part in the next two movies. Yes, and he lives through the second. Only to die in the first scenes of the third movie. When we get General Grevious. A coughing robot. Where the hell did he come from? Oh, a cartoon series. Great. But if you haven't seen it it's just another bad guy with no past, no story, just a plotsticle.

I watched the X-Men the other day. The relationship between Professor X and Magneto is a fascinating aspect of the series. Whilst they have to work together in the second, it seems they'll be enemies again later on. What's more, a Magneto prequel is planned. So he has a backstory, and more importantly, he has a future.

One of the failing of the Batman series of the 90's was its constant killing of its bad guys. Fair enoguh when you've only got one to deal with, but by the time the turkey that was Batman and Robim arrived you had two new villains backstories to tell (and Arnie demanded an awful lot of screen time) don't you think if the bad guys lived to fight another day the battles between good and evil would mean a little more? I've yet to see the new Batman, but the focus isn't so much on the villains here anyway, is it? As it's more about Batman's beginning (funny that)

Maybe it's just me. Being a second child, I always had to play the bad guys. I had the decepticons. Skeletor and his crew. In play, I'd want them to get away, even if I didn't actually want my evil plots to succeed...

Doesn't it make more sense to let evil live to fight another day though? Learning the strengths and weaknesses, creating even greater battles? It's odd, especially in super-hero type movies where they like to leave it open for a sequel, that t's not through the nemesis? Does it say something about the world we live in today that evil has to be defeated? Must good always triumph in every single aspect? Can today's movie going public not live with the idea of the bad guy getting away, even if to make his downfall greater in the long run?
Wed 06/07/05 at 13:10
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Don't trust reviewers or lawyers.

Sounds good...
Wed 06/07/05 at 12:47
Regular
"8==="
The game's fun, I want to see the movie. I heard it was bad but the general opinion here seems to differ from the reviews.

I'll probably love it since I really enjoyed Dredd. :)
Wed 06/07/05 at 12:39
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Chr1s wrote:
> The reason being is that he was a normal bloke - he had no special
> powers, he couldn't fly or shoot white stuff out of his wrists. He
> was just an angry bloke who wanted revenge for his family's murder,
> and that made for much more interesting viewing than watching another
> bad actor swing between the roof-tops.

Plus it was an 18, so they didn't need to cut down on the violence.

Its one of my favorite films.

(plus the game wasn't bad either)
Wed 06/07/05 at 11:37
Regular
The Punisher was okay, apparently it was absoloutly nothing like the comic books though which is why it got such bad reviews. I'm not a comic book reader though so I still managed to get some enjoyment out of it. It certainly wasn't better than X-Men, Hulk, Spider-man and Batman.

Dare Devil was pretty crap though.
Wed 06/07/05 at 11:31
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Chippxero wrote:
> I'd like them to make a few more batman movies, but i can see them
> just being another Spiderman/hulk/dare-devil/xmen mess.

Well obviously, films like that will always draw in the crowd as they are "family" movies.

Personally I'd like to see more comic book movies like The Punisher. That was better than Spiderman, Hulk, Dare-Devil or any of the other garbage of recent years.

The reason being is that he was a normal bloke - he had no special powers, he couldn't fly or shoot white stuff out of his wrists. He was just an angry bloke who wanted revenge for his family's murder, and that made for much more interesting viewing than watching another bad actor swing between the roof-tops.
Wed 06/07/05 at 10:32
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
I mean, if they made more Star Wars films, the dark side of the force should become stronger and take over.

The End.

Time bandits, eh?
Wed 06/07/05 at 10:27
Regular
"8==="
Time Bandits has one of my favourite endings.
Wed 06/07/05 at 10:26
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
I wish more movies would have darker endings. Like, if the villains actually won.
Wed 06/07/05 at 03:33
Regular
"Captain to you."
I am hoping that the new batman movies when dealing with the joker, keep it going over more than one film, the whole thing about joker and batman was that they were always both there even if batman had beaten the joker (ok joker goes in prison for a year or 2).

No matter who batman went up against there was always the joker back again at some point with some crazy plan.

I'd like them to make a few more batman movies, but i can see them just being another Spiderman/hulk/dare-devil/xmen mess.

I want movies to be on their own, but to make one uber story all5 together.

I suppose i just want a super high budget series that is shown in cinemas weekly so that characters are developed well over time and the story hasn't had 100 pages ripped out, but i'm probably not going to get that :(
Wed 06/07/05 at 00:12
Regular
"8==="
First time I saw it I liked the crazyness (my friend imported it on laserdisc when it first came out).

I watched it again recently couldn't find a character I really liked, plus it wasn't that funny.

It's aged badly. Unlike Beavis and Butthead do america. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.