GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Finally got round to watching War of the Worlds..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/07/05 at 14:29
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Meh. I mean, I liked it, but it wasn't the big all-conquering mammoth summer blockbuster I expected it to be. I get a bit annoyed with all these worthy directors forgoing major action set-pieces to focus on, quote unquote, "the human element". Sure, you need something to keep the plot moving, but when the action is as good as it is in WOTW, you don't want it to stop so you can see how much Tom Cruise loves his kids. It's like when Titanic came out, Cameron kept on about how it was a love story set on the backdrop of a disaster. Was it gonads, mate.

That said, the Tripods are wicked, their unveiling is brilliantly done and the ferry scene is fantastic. Just wish we could have seen the battle over the hill and had a bit more of the actual aliens themselves. I liked the ending, despite what a few people have been saying, and I thought the little touches, like the corpses in the river and the clothes floating down from the sky were excellent, as was a lot of the camerawork. Some of it felt unfinished though, like the scene near the end where Cruise is outrunning the tripods - it bows down to snaffle him up and there's no sound effect? Sound was nonetheless pretty good throughout.

A success, but not as amazingly incredible as I'd built it up to be. Nuts.
[URL]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/index.php[/URL]
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:29
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Meh. I mean, I liked it, but it wasn't the big all-conquering mammoth summer blockbuster I expected it to be. I get a bit annoyed with all these worthy directors forgoing major action set-pieces to focus on, quote unquote, "the human element". Sure, you need something to keep the plot moving, but when the action is as good as it is in WOTW, you don't want it to stop so you can see how much Tom Cruise loves his kids. It's like when Titanic came out, Cameron kept on about how it was a love story set on the backdrop of a disaster. Was it gonads, mate.

That said, the Tripods are wicked, their unveiling is brilliantly done and the ferry scene is fantastic. Just wish we could have seen the battle over the hill and had a bit more of the actual aliens themselves. I liked the ending, despite what a few people have been saying, and I thought the little touches, like the corpses in the river and the clothes floating down from the sky were excellent, as was a lot of the camerawork. Some of it felt unfinished though, like the scene near the end where Cruise is outrunning the tripods - it bows down to snaffle him up and there's no sound effect? Sound was nonetheless pretty good throughout.

A success, but not as amazingly incredible as I'd built it up to be. Nuts.
[URL]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/index.php[/URL]
Sun 03/07/05 at 14:34
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You should be named Hudson Hawk. Although your site does rock.
Sun 03/07/05 at 21:36
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Wow, Hudson Hawk is on TV tonight! Maybe it's fate that I watch it.
Mon 04/07/05 at 12:17
Regular
"be happy"
I watched it last night, and enjoyed very much. Th escript was flat in places, there were the usual cliches, and the Tim Robbins sub-plot went nowhere for me, but in general, for a film of this type, it was very entertaining.
In an age where we are used to spectacular effects, it still managed to amaze. The sounds were superb as well.

The G8 Summit - A Fraud & A Circus: [URL]http://pilger.carlton.com/print[/URL]
Mon 04/07/05 at 12:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'll wait for the dvd of this one. Don't want to give my money to a gay midget who thinks psychiatry is a "pseudo science" yet belives we evolved from space-clams because L Ron says so.

Being Spielberg, are there any Nazis in it? Or absent father figures?
Mon 04/07/05 at 12:37
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Goatboy wrote:
> Being Spielberg, are there any Nazis in it? Or absent father figures?

Dingdingdingding! You just said the special Spielberg phrase of the day: 'absent father figures'! Just like every other film he's ever made! Seriously. Every single film he's ever made has got either a bad father or someone overcoming the adversity of having no male role model. The only Nazis in it are space Nazis.

By the way, I'd recommend you see it at the cinema, a lot of the shock and awe will be lost on DVD. A good cinema too, not the Odeon.

*SPOILERS*

There was a quite terrible, error-ridden write-up of WOTW in this morning's Guardian (although I's expect nothing less for a review of a big action movie). Some guy wittering on about how it's taking advantage of the carnage caused by 9/11. Sure, the dust cloud scene was a bit of a lift, but the plane crash? The quote was something like 'where else has a plane crash caused such devastation?' Odd, because the crash in WOTW happens over a housing estate and I'm pretty sure 9/11 wasn't the first time a plane has crashed and killed people. It's been modernised, so naturally the kids are going to at first think it's 'the terrorists' that are attacking, that's not some slur or disrespectful comment.

Simon Heffer of the Daily Mail ("He knows the people you wish you knew!") called it the most remorsefully violent film he'd ever seen. Funny that, with a title like WAR OF THE WORLDS. You'd expect mankind's extermination to be at least a little violent. Besides, are the dust explosions that violent? They're cool, but not particularly gruesome.
Mon 04/07/05 at 12:41
Regular
"be happy"
You're right, there's no point waiting for the DVD. Everything good about the film would be lost.

And I'd have to say that the major disappoinment for me was the distinct lack of violence. It's only a 12 rating, and it suffered for that.

The G8 Summit - A Fraud & A Circus: [URL]http://pilger.carlton.com/print[/URL]

Mon 04/07/05 at 13:19
Regular
"The definitive tag"
pauliewalnuts wrote:
> And I'd have to say that the major disappoinment for me was the
> distinct lack of violence. It's only a 12 rating, and it suffered for
> that.

It was actually surprisingly violent for a 12.
Mon 04/07/05 at 15:19
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
WARNING, CONTAINS PLOT INFO

apologies for poor spelling, am using a laptop which i dont like the keyboards of

i saw war of the world on the first showing at the cinema. coz i have no school and can see what i want when i want. i call it independence. anyway to the point, WOTW is a very good film. The way Speilberg can direct a film is incredible, its the small things that he does that make it ingeneous. For example when he could have left the family in the Caf after the carjacking, but he "showed the shooting". and the clever way of killing the bloke in the house. The tension building moments were also amaxing.

Tom Cruise portayed his character well, i felt you could really empathise with the thoughts and feelings, escpecially in the scene where he lets Robbie go. incredible.
Even Dakota Fanning was good, she generally annoys me because she is so, snooty, even for an 11 year old. but she played whqatserface well, the singing scenes were very touching.

However, being the eagle eyed lad i am, i had some questions, some u may be able to answer for me:
1) after the initial lightning strikes, the EMP destroys all electronic capabilities, so how does that guys camcorder work when hes filming the rising of the tripod

2) if those machines have been buried for millions of years, surely there would have been tech advances in that alien race since then, makin better machines.

3) Prepared for a million years and didnt take into account illnesses? seems foolish.

4) why not just take over earth a million years ago when the machines were buried?

5) How convinient that the house where thay all were at the end wasnt destroyed, yet the rest of Boston was properly smashed up?
Mon 04/07/05 at 15:47
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Vampyr wrote:
> 1) after the initial lightning strikes, the EMP destroys all
> electronic capabilities, so how does that guys camcorder work when
> hes filming the rising of the tripod

Simple answer is it's probably a mistake, but there's numerous technical explanations floating around the net (apparently if a battery and machine are separate, they may still work, Faraday cages etc. very boring, really)

>
> 2) if those machines have been buried for millions of years, surely
> there would have been tech advances in that alien race since then,
> makin better machines.

The only person who says they've been buried a million years is the crazy nut with the shotgun, it's not necessarily true. They were probably buried before proper human civilisation, several thousand years ago.

> 3) Prepared for a million years and didnt take into account
> illnesses? seems foolish.

If the machines were buried before humans were dominant on the planet, then the majority of bacteria and disease that exists in the 21st century wouldn't have been around then.

> 4) why not just take over earth a million years ago when the machines
> were buried?

See before: the first visit to Earth was just to plant the machines, there were probably no humans on the planet at that time.

> 5) How convinient that the house where thay all were at the end wasnt
> destroyed, yet the rest of Boston was properly smashed up?

It wasn't all smashed up at all. A lot of people think the closing narration says a billion people die, but it's referring to a billion people dying of disease to immune themselves to the bacteria that causes the aliens to snuff it. Not everywhere was destroyed.

Personally, I think it's good having a lot of areas unexplained, like why they're here and what they want etc. it makes for a better alien if you don't know their motives. None of that nonsense in Independence Day where they speak directly to the aliens, no thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.