GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Finally got round to watching War of the Worlds..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/07/05 at 14:29
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Meh. I mean, I liked it, but it wasn't the big all-conquering mammoth summer blockbuster I expected it to be. I get a bit annoyed with all these worthy directors forgoing major action set-pieces to focus on, quote unquote, "the human element". Sure, you need something to keep the plot moving, but when the action is as good as it is in WOTW, you don't want it to stop so you can see how much Tom Cruise loves his kids. It's like when Titanic came out, Cameron kept on about how it was a love story set on the backdrop of a disaster. Was it gonads, mate.

That said, the Tripods are wicked, their unveiling is brilliantly done and the ferry scene is fantastic. Just wish we could have seen the battle over the hill and had a bit more of the actual aliens themselves. I liked the ending, despite what a few people have been saying, and I thought the little touches, like the corpses in the river and the clothes floating down from the sky were excellent, as was a lot of the camerawork. Some of it felt unfinished though, like the scene near the end where Cruise is outrunning the tripods - it bows down to snaffle him up and there's no sound effect? Sound was nonetheless pretty good throughout.

A success, but not as amazingly incredible as I'd built it up to be. Nuts.
[URL]http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/index.php[/URL]
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:37
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Does Tom Cruise almost, but not quite, cry and shake his hair about?

Yes

>
> And how much god-light is there shining into windows/at the camera to
> create silhouettes?

Not much that I can remember

> And how many actions scenes are "from the child's point of
> view"?

Again, not many that I can remember - although the movie was about tom Cruise keeping his kids alive, the film mainly focused on him.
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:36
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> And how do you explain the Red Weed? :P

Stands to reason flora / fauna of a highly water based plant are made up of a large amount of the stuff themselves. :D
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Does Tom Cruise almost, but not quite, cry and shake his hair about?

And how much god-light is there shining into windows/at the camera to create silhouettes?
And how many actions scenes are "from the child's point of view"?

I want to get a fix on just how Spielberg it is before I watch it ON PIRATE DVD!!!!!!
I'm not supporting a gay midget who believes we're actually space clams
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:34
Regular
And how do you explain the Red Weed? :P
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:31
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Try this one on.

The aliens, from a far distant system identify worlds containing a large amounts of water, as they know their own solar systems water will eventually run out (for whatever reason)

They don't yet have faster than life tech, and so "seed" worlds with the machines for use in the future. These take the forms of capsules launched similar to the original book.

Fast forward a couple of thousand years later, they master faster than light tech (yes, it's not possible, but neither have we proof of extraterrestial life) and set out to claim the water.

There we go. Explained. And no-one can tell me otherwise because the events of the movie are explained from a purely human perspective.

:D :D :D
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:24
Regular
Hehe, well that's a slightly different story :P

I think they hinted enough at the beginning that it was from Mars where the 'aliens' came.

Though I'm sure some Texans now believe there is a force of European terrorists on their way to cause trouble.
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:21
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> Except what fans have already read in the books... :P

Yeah, but they're not matrians this time, according to Keopp.

> Anyway, the size of the craters caused by the storm were large enough
> for the 'pods', but not for the tripods. Thus, they have to have been
> there a while.

Just playing devils advocate with this. :D

They might have a terminator style 'port. Inanimate objects can pass through rock, organic cannot. But then there's the organic part of the machine which blows that away.

Basically, what I'm saying is it's a movie about giant tripods wiping out humanity. A few "mistakes" don't bother me.

I remember Lights brother discussing "Dinotopia"

him - "Oh, that dinosaur wasn't around at the same time as that one"
me - "the fact that they're actually talking to humans doesn't bother you?"

:D
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:17
Regular
Except what fans have already read in the books... :P

Anyway, the size of the craters caused by the storm were large enough for the 'pods', but not for the tripods. Thus, they have to have been there a while.
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> The big question is: If they've been planning this for millions of
> years, or "before humans came" as one character says, why
> didn't they just conquer Earth pre-human era? And how come they
> didn't die of illness back then when they planted the machines?

Who says the machines have been buried for millions of years? Why couldn't they be teleported in in the initial storm (underground as they would be vurerable) then the pilots teleported in lastly. Only one character says they have been buried for millions of years. How does he know?

That's what I like about it. It avoids any real mistakes as there is zero information about the aliens.
Tue 05/07/05 at 11:05
Regular
The big question is: If they've been planning this for millions of years, or "before humans came" as one character says, why didn't they just conquer Earth pre-human era? And how come they didn't die of illness back then when they planted the machines?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.