GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War of the Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/06/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Brillant. Loved it. A modern day 50's SF movie on a big budget.
Everything I wanted it to be. The tripods were perfect and beatifully designed in both looks and sounds. Plot was a very close copy of the book, but modernised.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is them trashing cities, but to be honest, if the movie was 2 hours of just that, I'd still want to see more.

Excellent. A bleak, humourless, downbeat summer blockbuster. Did me peachy.

People complaining about the ending? Waddya want? Will and Jeff writing a computer virus and uploading it into a mothership? I'll take this ending thakyouverymuch.

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=121256&forumid=301[/URL]
Spoilers in this link regarding alien machines.
Thu 30/06/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Brillant. Loved it. A modern day 50's SF movie on a big budget.
Everything I wanted it to be. The tripods were perfect and beatifully designed in both looks and sounds. Plot was a very close copy of the book, but modernised.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is them trashing cities, but to be honest, if the movie was 2 hours of just that, I'd still want to see more.

Excellent. A bleak, humourless, downbeat summer blockbuster. Did me peachy.

People complaining about the ending? Waddya want? Will and Jeff writing a computer virus and uploading it into a mothership? I'll take this ending thakyouverymuch.

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=121256&forumid=301[/URL]
Spoilers in this link regarding alien machines.
Thu 30/06/05 at 21:43
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Stop gloating.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:01
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
Plot was a very close copy of the
> book, but modernised.

I'm yet to see the movie, but I would be very suprised if it does follow the book closely.

After all, the journalist didn't have a daughter (as far as my memory recalls) and the majority of the book seemed to be the journalist being trapped in a house with a parson.

Any Red Weed or building of theories discussed with artilleryman regarding an underground city?

:P

I may be pleasantly suprised, but Tom Cruise said the movie was about family. The book was not.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:17
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> Pandaemonium wrote:
> Plot was a very close copy of the
> book, but modernised.
>
> I'm yet to see the movie, but I would be very suprised if it does
> follow the book closely.
>
> After all, the journalist didn't have a daughter (as far as my memory
> recalls.
> and the majority of the book seemed to be the journalist
> being trapped in a house with a parson.
> Any Red Weed or building of theories discussed with artilleryman
> regarding an underground city?
> :P
>
> I may be pleasantly suprised, but Tom Cruise said the movie was about
> family. The book was not.

All the elements of the book are there. Look and listen closely to it when you watch it. Characters and occupations may have changed, but the core of the story and most of the main plot is there, and by that I don't just mean bigass tripods eliminating the human race.

They are not carbon copies, but at some level, all the main plot points of the book have been transfered over.

*Shrug* some people may disagree. I know I'm right. :p
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:27
Regular
Don't get me wrong, so long as you're entertained, then Spielberg has done his job.

I just want a kickass movie about The War of the Worlds, actually set in London in the 19th Century. Would make it a bit more challenging than yet another story set in a different era actually re-written to fit modern day.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:34
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Edgy wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, so long as you're entertained, then Spielberg has
> done his job.
>
> I just want a kickass movie about The War of the Worlds, actually set
> in London in the 19th Century. Would make it a bit more challenging
> than yet another story set in a different era actually re-written to
> fit modern day.

[URL]http://www.pendragonpictures.com/WOTWTeaser.html[/URL]

[edit] [URL]http://static.howstuffworks.com/quicktime/wowhires.mov[/URL] Full trailer in its cringeworthy glory.

There we go.

Of course I'd prefer to see it set 19th Century. I'm a massive fan of the story from it's original incarnation via the Jeff Wayne (not a fan now, was when I was younger) via Christopher Priests Space Machine via League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's even popped up in an alternative universe book by Tad Williams. Still, beggers cant be choosers and the linked Pendragon version looks like it's going to suck balls unfortunatly. There's a sequence where Big Ben is destroyed floating around on the net and it looks like it was done by a 486 laptop.

The only way to do the story justice is on a big budget, and somehow I just cant see jonny public spending their cash in the cinema to see "what ho" and a stiff upper lip. Shame really.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:42
Regular
Should hopefully be going next Monday, really looking forward to it. Thank god there's no Bill Pullman Patriotic BS or Brits playing cricket while those 'bloody marvellous' Yankies save our asses once again.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:43
Regular
"the burning sky"
Edgy wrote:
> After all, the journalist didn't have a daughter (as far as my memory
> recalls) and the majority of the book seemed to be the journalist
> being trapped in a house with a parson.

Well Tom Cruise was a Dock Worker so nay to that one.

> Any Red Weed or building of theories discussed with artilleryman
> regarding an underground city?

Slightly. Courtesy of Tim Robbins

> I may be pleasantly suprised, but Tom Cruise said the movie was about
> family. The book was not.

Just came back from seeing it. Absolutely awesome film, and a pretty decent ending, I cant see why people were complaining. Ahhh sh&te I have a 3 hour exam tomorrow morning...
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:43
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Would it really be that great set in the 19th century though? In this version we have aliens blasting the crap of out a freeway, tossing hundreds of cars into the air, and an attack on a ferry. What would the 19th century version have? Someone falling off their Penny Farthing?
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:46
Regular
I was gonna make a topic, but I thought that the one already made was sufficient.

Anyways, yeah, it was pretty damn superb, but I wasn't a big fan of the ending. It seemed kinda rushed. Shame, as up to that, the film was very, very entertaining.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.