GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War of the Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/06/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Brillant. Loved it. A modern day 50's SF movie on a big budget.
Everything I wanted it to be. The tripods were perfect and beatifully designed in both looks and sounds. Plot was a very close copy of the book, but modernised.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is them trashing cities, but to be honest, if the movie was 2 hours of just that, I'd still want to see more.

Excellent. A bleak, humourless, downbeat summer blockbuster. Did me peachy.

People complaining about the ending? Waddya want? Will and Jeff writing a computer virus and uploading it into a mothership? I'll take this ending thakyouverymuch.

[URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=121256&forumid=301[/URL]
Spoilers in this link regarding alien machines.
Fri 01/07/05 at 19:37
Regular
"That's right!"
Total waste of time. It's like they thought "Well, Indpendence Day showed aliens wrecking stuff; we won't bother"

In fact the scene with the reporter reeked of "Here's some exposition for you, because we can't be bothered to show it properly"

Sure, sure, it's all about the family, but even that was crap. Was Cruise meant to be the caring father, or the useless father who learned to love his kids by the end? He seemed to switch from one role to the other. That, and he was like every other character Cruise plays.

I expected so much... it could've at least been as good as the original.

War of the Worlds? Scrap of the little girls if you ask me.

"Let's spend half the film in a basement, purposefully not showing the huge battle raging on. Oops, the film is over, better show them dying of a cold* in the last five minutes"

I had to explain why the aliens died to my friends (though I couldn't explain why the shields went off) They thought ol' Tom had done something with those grenades that affected them all.

So, yeah, ID4 is a better film and that ain't saying too much. It wasn't terrible, it was certainly watchable, but a bit of a let down considering every review gave it 4 to 5 stars and one said it was one of the best film ever made.

And did anyone else get flashbacks of Close Encounters when he was driving through the fields?

*if that spoiled something for you, then you deserve it for not seeing the original
Fri 01/07/05 at 15:41
Regular
"She's a dog!"
I dunno why Tim Robbins thinks he can solve all his problems by digging...
Fri 01/07/05 at 14:04
Regular
"Twenty quid."
... or chewing gum.
Fri 01/07/05 at 14:04
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:
> So this is Mars Attacks with a gay midget pretending to be a
> blue-collar worker?

Yeah, but without any of the laughs.
Fri 01/07/05 at 12:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So this is Mars Attacks with a gay midget pretending to be a blue-collar worker?
Fri 01/07/05 at 10:30
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
im off too see the fisrt showing in my small town at noon today.
Fri 01/07/05 at 09:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Would it really be that great set in the 19th century though? In this
> version we have aliens blasting the crap of out a freeway, tossing
> hundreds of cars into the air, and an attack on a ferry. What would
> the 19th century version have? Someone falling off their Penny
> Farthing?

Lots of English gents tipping their hats before getting zapped, a horse and cart chase sequence, Jack the Ripper subplot, and the Elephant Man gets taken back to his home planet.

Dramatisation, may not have happened
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:47
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
SLIGHT SPOLIERS FOR THOSE UNFAMILURE WITH THE NOVEL!

Tomm wrote:
> Well Tom Cruise was a Dock Worker so nay to that one.

Yeah, and it's also set in the current day.

Jesus. I didn't mean every element was lifted exact, but superficial similarities (he's travelling to find his wife, he survives the initial heat ray attack, he meets an artillery convoy, he's sort of trapped in a celler with a guy slowly loosing it), there's the tentacle exploration, ending) are everywhere.

The kids exist so he has someone to talk to too, so we avoid a Sin City monologue.

Reefer wrote:
> I was gonna make a topic, but I thought that the one already made was
> sufficient.

Didn't see it. I don't post around here too often now, with having a new job where I have to actually work for a living.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:46
Regular
I was gonna make a topic, but I thought that the one already made was sufficient.

Anyways, yeah, it was pretty damn superb, but I wasn't a big fan of the ending. It seemed kinda rushed. Shame, as up to that, the film was very, very entertaining.
Thu 30/06/05 at 22:43
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Would it really be that great set in the 19th century though? In this version we have aliens blasting the crap of out a freeway, tossing hundreds of cars into the air, and an attack on a ferry. What would the 19th century version have? Someone falling off their Penny Farthing?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.