GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo's revolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 28/10/04 at 18:42
Regular
Living in the fantasy failure of Nintendo's world it is easy to be misled.

Lack of games has meant both the Gamecube and the X-box has failed to even dent the monster of the Playstation. Pull out fantastic games all you want, there just isn't enough to please all those billions of games players.

Nintendo promise revolution, Microsoft promise variety... Sony promise to damage the profits of both its rivals even further. One of them is almost certainly correct.

There is always a get out clause for Nintendo, being such a massive games developer themselves they CAN always become a simply 2nd or 3rd party developer. Unless Microsoft can increase the amount of games they have on their system, they have no such get out clause.

Both Microsoft and Nintendo are struggling. Yep Nintendo have a lot of money and so do Microsoft. But neither wish to support a massive loss. We've discussed a combined effort of Microsoft and Nintendo which would increase game out put, fan basses and variety of system capabilties.

It won't happen.

Microsoft will continue to pump money into their dead weight and Nintendo will try and invent another "innovative" idea.

When "revolution" was announced we all looked at the Bongo's, at the DS and at the (shudder) Microphone. Nintendo will add some imagintive new way to play games and hope it'll take off. Nintendo said the DS is a clue to the future of Revolution. What two screens? a microphone built in? Touch screen? What exactly Nintendo, unless all are implemented I cannot see this "revolutionising" gaming... just confusing it.

How about GBA 2? Or GameBoy Evolution. A simple gaming device, plenty of buttons, a nice well made screen, 2 analogue sticks for the ultimate gaming on the go. With revolution graphics.

Certainly that will be possible soon. Handheld gaming just looks better and better and you know it. There is no longer any restrictions.

Especially by 2006.

The revolution of gaming could feature a nice new controller, that in fact could also be a GBE. I don't mean a GBE CAN be used. Rather a GBE has the same buttons as a Revolution Controller.

Is it not time Nintendo really revolutionised gaming with a "GOOD" idea.

Connectivity is the damn future of gaming and you know it. What Nintendo "could" do is endless. 2 versions of the game, one for the GBE and one for the Gamecube. Maybe sold together. Play one, save it to the GBE and continue the GBE version on the go.

Or how about play the game on Revolution and download the game from the disc onto the GBE's format. GBE's games are avalible via download through Revolution.

Maybe I'm going too far here. Downloading the game you are playing to play "on the go" seems daft. Why not simply plug a GBE into the tele and play it straight?

Well Revolution will be this DVD/Music/Internet hybrid. The GBE's late 2006 launch will halt the PSP's advance. And Nintendo will be looking at a system to die for.

Imagine, playing a football game on Revolution. Download the save file on the "memory card" which is specific for the game and is used as the source for the GBE. The game is already on the card but the saved data from the Revolution title can be transferred to it. Then take a bus and continue the game you were playing.

This would sell. It is essentially buy one game and play it wherever you want, on two different systems. Multiplayer avalible via one and single player the other. It would work.

But is the technology ready? Can Nintendo really produce a machine that runs revolution graphics, plays revolution sized games that is easily downloadable onto a memory card? And doesn't eat battery life to death? Well if Nintendo can make a handheld that has 2 processors and 2 screens and still have a good battery life then I don't doubt it for a second. There is no need for a laser, I'm not talking CD's... I don't want some MP3 player hybrid...

And IPODS are lasting longer and longer as batteries become better and better.

Christmas 2006 for the Revolution and the Evolution could be the idea time for a real gaming "revolution". Whether it'll take off or not is a different matter entirely.
Fri 29/10/04 at 11:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Dringo wrote:
"Or how about play the game on Revolution and download the game from the disc onto the GBE's format. GBE's games are avalible via download through Revolution."
-----

I take it that, here, you're not just talking about the same kind of temporary "downloading" we've all now seen in Animal Crossing, for example? Unless, of course, you could save these games to the handheld, permanently...

Look at that I-Que thing, only available in China. Nintendo have already looked at the possibillity of 'downloading' games to the console - this could well point to a sign...

Then again, when it comes to Nintendo trying to change things for the better, they're not the first to jump on the `technology“ bandwagon. In a way, it sounds more like a Microsoft thing. Or, better yet, the other console where you download ALL games to play on it....

To be honest with you, I prefer to see Nintendo 'innovating' with things like the Bongo drums, and brining dual-screens into the 21st Century. Nintendo doesn't 'follow suit' with it's competitors - they are just different. That's what I like about them. That's why I love them.

You should know (by now) to never doubt Nintendo in what they do; only have faith. Providing they don't push one failed design too far for too long (GBA-connectivity, anyone?), they'll be fine. :)
Fri 29/10/04 at 08:51
It won't cut out the technical side of development completely; if that were the case anyone could make a game. It simply eases the burden, and encourage reuse of common code.

This of course allows more time for other things, but will probably be used for more bug testing, tidying up or simply getting games finished on time.
Fri 29/10/04 at 04:10
Regular
XNA is this middleware thing, right?

I like it too because it means that devellopers can ignore the technical side (so less bugs and less time debugging so that cuts devellopment time to a fraction!) and just put ALL of their efforts into making the game.

It also means that games will be cheaper to produce.
I don't think that'll necessarily mean games will become cheaper to buy, but with all these companies going bankrupt nowdays, the time has come for some sort of stability.

I think it'll also allow some companies to be a little more adventurous too, if that's what they really want to do! :-)
Fri 29/10/04 at 02:36
Regular
Microsoft may be about to come good.

XNA means easier to produce games. Lots of money and support network means cheaper and more efficient development lifecycles.

PS3 = new architecture, which requires a new way of programming, again.

Revolution = innovation, which requires new ideas, new ways of making games and new ways of getting people to buy the console and games.

Microsoft may be about to make it so easy for developers they just can't refuse, all they need is some of Sony's exclusives, the way the games meant for the N64 appeared on the PS, if games people associate with sony appear on teh Xbox 2, MS could land a win.

It's already happening, MGS, Pro Evo, GTA Playstation games merged with Pc marketted games are coming together for Microsoft, some pre-PS3 exclusives and they might just make it.

Where that leaves Nintendo, I have no idea.
Fri 29/10/04 at 00:24
Regular
The DS has shown that Nintendo ARE capable of good things.

The dual screen and touch screen surprised me, making the DS a bit more than just a handheld games machine, although everything else that was great about it was just the next step forward (more powerful games, wireless connection etc).

Are there such steps forward for home console gaming?

MS and Sony are taking to online possibilties in a big way, and I bet that Nintendo have plans to. Nintendo trying to make an online service as good as Microsoft is like Bill Gates and Co trying to make a Mario or Zelda beater!

Obviously Nintendo would make some rare breed of online game that MS could never imagine, but as much as we love these quirky games they NEVER sell systems.

So Nintendo would have to offer something special above that.
DS connectivity? I'd like to see something along that vein but you can hardly fob that off as a revolution...

I mean what "good idea" is there to be done?
Thu 28/10/04 at 21:59
Regular
I know.

Thu 28/10/04 at 21:54
Regular
I love you really, Edgy.
Thu 28/10/04 at 21:54
Regular
Did I say you were?

It's the, "Oh its been turned around on me. Lets make out that I wasn't affected by that and pretend I wasn't taking things seriously" comment.

It's normally the Noobs who do that :P
Thu 28/10/04 at 21:49
Regular
Yes, I know.

And besides, I wasn't serious, geez.
Thu 28/10/04 at 21:40
Regular
Anyway Azul I was born in Wiltshire. I think you'll find that is England.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.