GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Its all going too fast...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/06/01 at 19:43
Regular
....when I was younger I used to enjoy playing each and every game that I brought for that console, it was great, I could spend months on the game and complete it with no worries, knowing that I could then wait for another game much like it.

Nowadays, I seem to rush to complete the games that I play, I don't feel I enjoy them as much as I could, maybe this is down to the part-time job I have which is to test games, with this I seem to look and try to find bugs and glitches no matter if I am playing for leisure or not, and sometimes I think that I can't enjoy a game as much as I used to when I was a kid playing the games which created what everyone is playing today...

..It is very rare for a game to be released and me buy/play/complete it and enjoy it as much as I used to, infact only a few games in the past few years have made me feel that there is more to come, I am not sure whether I am losing faith in the gaming industry, getting bored of waiting or thinking that no games compare to the ones I used to play ten or more years ago, a point that I must add is these games that have impressed me in the last few years have been all across the platforms, not just one particular one..

What is it then that is making me feel that the majority of games I am playing nowadays are getting to be a bore and only a few have 'any' replay value...

...it is in my opinion the speed at which the market is moving that is the problem, companies are churning out games which forces others to act alike, infact Rare are so well respected because they only release about seven titles a year. Probably for every eighty games that are released we will recieve one excellent game that marks a new era in gaming (Phantasy Star Online).

Every few years we are introduced to different consoles that promise us better games, but as far as I can see these games are only graphically and visually better than the ones I was playing ten years ago, these consoles can hang around for a few years or walk straight into the graveyard where they should be, there is only one console that can safely claim the crown of 'greatness' this has to be the Gameboy, whether it be the original one or any of the others up until the Advance, this handheld never left the market, had the games which make me happy and because it is not powerful the companies are not trying to visually impress the gamer, but instead offer them a piece of gaming worth playing, not just worth looking at, and games from ten years ago are still alike the ones released today.

The market is getting too fast, we have the fast consoles and the broken down consoles but the console (handheld) that is always reliable and never breaks down is the GameBoy.

Thanks for reading
er-no
Fri 01/06/01 at 19:43
Regular
"everyone says it"
....when I was younger I used to enjoy playing each and every game that I brought for that console, it was great, I could spend months on the game and complete it with no worries, knowing that I could then wait for another game much like it.

Nowadays, I seem to rush to complete the games that I play, I don't feel I enjoy them as much as I could, maybe this is down to the part-time job I have which is to test games, with this I seem to look and try to find bugs and glitches no matter if I am playing for leisure or not, and sometimes I think that I can't enjoy a game as much as I used to when I was a kid playing the games which created what everyone is playing today...

..It is very rare for a game to be released and me buy/play/complete it and enjoy it as much as I used to, infact only a few games in the past few years have made me feel that there is more to come, I am not sure whether I am losing faith in the gaming industry, getting bored of waiting or thinking that no games compare to the ones I used to play ten or more years ago, a point that I must add is these games that have impressed me in the last few years have been all across the platforms, not just one particular one..

What is it then that is making me feel that the majority of games I am playing nowadays are getting to be a bore and only a few have 'any' replay value...

...it is in my opinion the speed at which the market is moving that is the problem, companies are churning out games which forces others to act alike, infact Rare are so well respected because they only release about seven titles a year. Probably for every eighty games that are released we will recieve one excellent game that marks a new era in gaming (Phantasy Star Online).

Every few years we are introduced to different consoles that promise us better games, but as far as I can see these games are only graphically and visually better than the ones I was playing ten years ago, these consoles can hang around for a few years or walk straight into the graveyard where they should be, there is only one console that can safely claim the crown of 'greatness' this has to be the Gameboy, whether it be the original one or any of the others up until the Advance, this handheld never left the market, had the games which make me happy and because it is not powerful the companies are not trying to visually impress the gamer, but instead offer them a piece of gaming worth playing, not just worth looking at, and games from ten years ago are still alike the ones released today.

The market is getting too fast, we have the fast consoles and the broken down consoles but the console (handheld) that is always reliable and never breaks down is the GameBoy.

Thanks for reading
er-no
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:18
Regular
"everyone says it"
POP
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:46
Well it's generally true that less games means more quality, for example, Black & White is the first game from Lionhead Studios, took to years to make and is superb (and highly replayable, or indeed continuable). The problem is that games companies want as much profit as possible, without sufficient money to back them up they will need to release games as fast as possible and make a lot of sales. This means that they make more games, and more games means less quality, which means less sales, which means less games, which means even less profits, which means games company goes bankrupt. Unfortunate as this is it shows that by making several allright games a company can stay afloat but since they may be unable to concentrate on one fabulous game (especially at the risk that they are unable to cover their costs from just one game) we the gamers feel cheated. It is perhaps this problem that leads to the feeling that games just aren't as good.

Another problem is that people give out the idea that they put a lot of stock into the quantity of games for any one console. People say that the X-Box will fail because it does not have enough games coming out or to be released with it but the games that are to be released with it will be very good games (hopefully) so why should this matter? Of course the console companies then think "Well, if the people will be more likely to buy our console because there are a lot of games availiable quickly then that's what we should get". Of course people don't really think this, what they really want are a reasonable selection of excellent games which will keep them happy long enough (at least) until the next batch of excellent games arrives. The console companies meanwhile are pushing the developers to get as many games onto their console so that people buy the console and will proceed to buy their games.

The main problem with low quality games are that it is all too often gotten away with on consoles and if there is a console with less games but higher quality (the Dreamcast perhaps, or the N64) it is insulted for not having enough choice. This means that people are excusing the companies for making a lot of mediocre games instead of concentrating on excellent games. Sure, there are excellent games to come out on every console but they tend to come from one or two companies and there tends to be a wait inbetween them which is often criticised (thus suggesting again that low quality games are preferred in large numbers).

On the PC you get a lot of games which take a long time to develop (partially because it takes longer to make a game for the more complex PC, especially with the constant upgrades in technology) and are very good. Okay there are a lot that lesser companies make which are poor quality and sometimes games take so long that they are no good by the time they come out (Daikatana and probably Duke Nukem Forever at this rate). However, the important thing is that a lot of effort goes into making exceptional games that are fun to play and re-play repeatedly and while not all succeed the vast majority are fun and even those which perhaps don't come up to high standards can still be worthwhile. So perhaps what the consoles need is to do what most developers do on the PC and concentrate on quality not quantity.

It's possible that another problem console developers may face when concentrating on quality but taking more time is that there are not enough games coming out because there are too few developers. It could be that all this quality comes out in batches but there are far too long waits in between batches and there simply aren't enough games to keep people interested. The way to solve this of course is to get the balance right. Generally a high quality game for a console wont take as long as what is considered high quality for the PC, so if the developers don't spend excessive time on the game (like they did with Daikatana) then they could get the balance right enough to keep people interested and get their game out while people are still quite enjoying their last excellent game (or are just starting to want for something new).

So in the future I hope that developers employ this tactic and don't worry about taking their time to get things just right. It might not always work but most gamers will appreciate it in the long term.
Fri 01/06/01 at 20:46
You're right er-no. every now and again we experience something different but it soon gets old... I am also rushing games too much then just feeling as i accomplished nothing.
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:06
Regular
"everyone says it"
Thanks TW, well I get so disapointed with games nowadays....

..I just need another FZeroX
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:07
yeh but hopefully the GC will restore my hope in games...
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:34
'ere, I wrote all that and did anyone read it? Or is there just nothing else to say on the subject?
Oh and Vote Gronti.
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:36
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I read it all and totally agree with you. But as you say there is nothing that I can add to it.
Fri 01/06/01 at 21:48
"possibly impossible"
memories....all alone in the *ahem*

No, memories can be funny things, you can remember a rosey time when all games were good and played for a long time before finishing. But the usual truth is that as we get older we tend to expect more from our games and remember the past in a different light.

To be honest, there are still games that I deliberately take a lot of time to play, but it's games that you can come back to after you've finished them that really make the grade, such as Tony Hawk's 2 or Crazy Taxi, something you can either improve your score on or just play for fun.

Well, that's my opinion anyway, and sorry it took so long to reply er-no, but I have to work as well you know! ;-)
Fri 01/06/01 at 22:12
I tend to take my time with games nowadays. Sure we all expect more from our games these days but the main thing is that some don't try to cater for that need as I already said. We do tend to want quality rather than quantity these days and it's not always what we get. Well we just have to persevere and try to let games developers know what we want from them by selecting our purchases well and hope they get the message.

Another good idea would be to vote Gronti for Notable.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.