GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Foo Fighters 'In Your Honor'"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/06/05 at 11:29
Regular
Well, that's how they spell it, so that's how I will

Got it this morning (yes, I could have downloaded it weeks ago, but I don't suck). After listening to the first disc, I can safely say it's a lot better than One by One. Still no Colour and the Shape/Self-Titled, but a pretty damn good effort.

Standout tracks would be Free Me, huge, massive, heavy sound, quite easily the best song from the first disc in my opinion, No Way Back, an earlier sounding song, could easily be taken from the first disc if they got the guitar sound the same, and The Deepest Blues are Black, kinda quite but then breaks out into a wonderful track. Other tracks worthy of note would be In Your Honor, Best of You and Resolve. All good, just nothing too special.

My only real complaint so far is the fact they actually bothered to include 'The Last Song'. If anything, it seems as if they did from a lyrical point of view. Initially FFL (a Best of You B-side) had it's place, but was then cut. It would have been a perfect short, heavy track to bridge the album, but instead they include possibly the weakest track from the entire album.

I'm very glad it's not like One by One, and those who lost faith in Foos after their last album may want to take a look because there are some killer tracks tucked away in here.

Now, onto the acoustic disc. Which I already know has one of the best tracks the Foos have written, because it's been available for, ohhh, 14 years?

Right, the acoustic disc. This is 12 years in the making, and it really, really shows. After one listen I don't know if I should really judge it so early, but so far it's the best thing they've ever recorded.

They can do all the rock stuff by-the-numbers, but the acoustic disc really is up there with The Colour and the Shape. Still is fantastic, subtle music with some excellent lyrics, Miracle is also another fantastic one and Friend of a Friend easily one of the most eery songs they've ever done (although I do prefer the original recording). Hate to bring up the age-old comparison, because they are nothing alike, but that track really harks back to his days in Nirvana, when it was written.

There just isn't a weak track to speak of. Virginia Moon (with Norah Jones singing) is the only slightly weird track, but it's a nice jazzy little number and fits in the rest of the album. Cold Day in the Sun is really upbeat, as in What If I Do? and Another Round.

It really restores a whole lot of faith in the Foos after One by One. At the moment I'm torn whether or not this is up with TCATS, but after a few more listens I should know.

Even if you don't like the Foos rockier stuff (althogh you should really, even if there are a few stinkers), the acoustic disc is a completely new dimension to the band, you can hardly tell it's the same band at all. Razor, for instance, is like nothing they've ever done.

I am a very, very happy Foo fan.
Tue 14/06/05 at 20:54
"possibly impossible"
I need to get this....

I will get this....

Just as soon as I have the money...
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:53
Regular
Also, I must say, the gap in the middle of In Your Honor is genius. I sheet myself the first time I heard it.
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:45
Regular
Must say I was kinda disappointed with DOA and No Way Back after first hearing them, what with all the speak of uber-heavy stuff, and the fact that the names sound heavy.

Now I'm really glad there are poppier tracks on the album, gives it a wonderful balance. Starting to really love the rock disc, but the acoustic is still better. Although I must say, I've really taken a dislike to The Last Song. Worst song on the album by far in my opinion, like Breakout with better lyrics, but really crappy.
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:21
Regular
I'm tempted to get it but I have a few CD's to listen to at the moment and I was never a big Foo's fan.
Tue 14/06/05 at 17:43
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Favourite tracks of Disc 1 so far:

Free Me
.End Over End (mmm :))
The Last Song
The Deepest Blues Are Black
No Way Back

Disc 2 I need to listen some more before voicing opinions, so you'll have to wait a bit. :D
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:19
Regular
There's really no point in lying on a chat forum, as I pointed out when I told everyone my story of how I was secretly the first man on the moon.
Tue 14/06/05 at 14:11
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Red Hat wrote:
> Why would I lie? You cannot stoop lower than lying on a chat forum

AhahahahhAHAHAhHAhAHAhahHAHhaAhahHAhahhahaHAahhahHAhahaha.

I'm 12! No wait, I'm 13! No wait, wait, I'm 14!

And I play for Celtic Youth Team!

Ahhhh, wonderful.
Tue 14/06/05 at 13:40
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Rickoss wrote:
> Surely being that much older and still being that much of a spacker
> is something to be ashamed of? At least he has an excuse.

I am not a spacker, I am just voicing my opinions.

> Or you're lying.

Why would I lie? You cannot stoop lower than lying on a chat forum
Mon 13/06/05 at 19:36
Regular
"Touched!"
Off food shopping soon so I will grab zhe album!
Mon 13/06/05 at 18:45
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
That's alright then. I didn't think there would be but it was too risky today.

Really want to hear it so I might as well be getting paid while I do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.