GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OSX for x86 'leaked' onto the Internet (already)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/06/05 at 16:21
Regular
Hahahaha, I love these pirates.

[URL]http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/06/12/130234.shtml?tid=179&tid=1[/URL]

It's been what, 4 -5 days since the announcement?

I don't think Apple actually intend for OSX to run on anything but their own hardware, but when there's is a will, there's is a way.

To be honest, in my opinion, this is probably the worst decision they have ever made.

I wouldn't be surprised to see full cracked versions to be on the Internet soon after the whole thing takes to light.

Dual boot anyone?
Tue 14/06/05 at 22:56
Regular
Or go for Linux like me!

*Gets coat*
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:55
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Chad Niga wrote:
> Stuff.

Mac = the hardware.

OS X = the operating system.

;^)
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:34
Regular
"bot"
I'd go Mac if: a) they weren't ridiculously expensive and b) if I could play CS and BF2
Tue 14/06/05 at 19:22
"period drama"
Just give in - no looking back, no regrets.
You'll be much happier, much sooner.
Tue 14/06/05 at 18:54
Regular
"Unretired"
On thing that has kept windows running on my machine is the fact that games developers take priority with that OS, which is understandable, being the most popular OS.

But the amount of games being released with mac versions these days are slowly making my grasp on windows weaker...

Sometime in the future, as long as there are no compatability issues, I can easily see myself running OSX by itself as a single boot.

And apart from games, all the software I use (reason, cubase, photoshop) already have far more stable mac versions, so it's just a matter of time.
Tue 14/06/05 at 18:41
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Anyone who disses mac obviously havent used it, as me and timmargh know, once you've converted, you dont even want to touch windows unless you have to.
Windows isnt bad, its just not as good as mac.

To have mac running on all formats would make the whole world of computers run better.
But ofcourse you'll always get the "WINDOWS ROOLS!! MAC SUCKS" who wont even try mac, on any format. Even though its the best way to go.
Tue 14/06/05 at 11:33
Regular
It's all true.

Sort of.

I run a Linux machine, and Unix/Linux does have vunerabilities, but the whole 'root' and 'user' system which Unix has keeps things a lot more secure.
Mon 13/06/05 at 23:36
Regular
"Twenty quid."
1. Windows ships with five of its ports open; Mac OS X by default has those ports closed. Worms like Blaster use known vulnerabilities, including open ports, attack millions of PC's. Microsoft says that it won't have an opportunity to close these ports until the next version of Windows, "Longhorn, currently due some time in 2006.

2. When a program tries to install itself in Mac OS X (Linux does something similar), a dialog interrupts the user and asks for permission for that installation by asking the user to log in with an OS X account ID and password. Windows XP will go merrily ahead and install an application, potentially without the user even knowing, since the user doesn't have to consent.

3. Administrator accounts in Windows (and therefore viruses that exploit Windows) have complete access to the entire operating system. In Mac OS X, even an Administrator user can't touch the files that drive the operating system itself. A Mac OS X virus (if there were such a thing) could theoretically destroy all of the current user's files, but wouldn't be able to access other user' files, and couldn't touch the operating system itself. "Root" access is turned off by default in Mac OS X, and most people never have to create a root account.

4. No Macintosh e-mail program automatically runs scripts that come attached to incoming messages, as Microsoft Outlook does.

What's more, the underlying core of Mac OS X is a descendent of BSD Unix. This is an operating system that's roughly thirty years old, thirty years of life as an open source operating system, with thousands of professional engineers poking and prodding it in an effort to remove vulnerabilities. Microsoft, on the other hand, has millions of lines of proprietary code.

[URL]http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/it/archive/000203.html[/URL]
Mon 13/06/05 at 21:27
"period drama"
Argh. Good points.
I couldn't deal with all the virusey shizzle PC users have to put up with.
Mon 13/06/05 at 19:23
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> And part of OS X's reliability is probably down to restricting the
> hardware you can run it on.

Yeah.

I wouldn't be surprised to see OSX viruses being made soon.

Although I suppose it does have the advantage of Unix

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.