GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Crashes*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/06/05 at 13:41
Regular
Basically I now have my new 2MEG Broadband but it still feels very sluggish

Are there any ways to speed it up ? Basically the PC is old and the RAM is low so the processing speed isn't quite up to scratch - is there any way I can improve my RAM, e.g by deleting files ?

It's a fill-in PC for the new Laptop which I'm getting in the next few weeks, which will be much faster and allow it to run at full capacity.

Until then though ... any ideas ?
Thu 09/06/05 at 19:40
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> And Im afraid no amount of deleting will improve your RAM, it will
> free up hard disk space however. RAM has to be physically added to
> your computer.
>
> I used to have a program on my Acorn which would take part of your
> hard
> disk as a partition and use it as RAM.
>
> Acorns are cool.

No you didn't....

RAM is RAM. A hard drive is not RAM.
Thu 09/06/05 at 19:37
Regular
"8==="
tigamilla wrote:
> And Im afraid no amount of deleting will improve your RAM, it will
> free up hard disk space however. RAM has to be physically added to
> your computer.

I used to have a program on my Acorn which would take part of your hard
disk as a partition and use it as RAM.

Acorns are cool.
Thu 09/06/05 at 17:02
"bdp(big_dude_paul)"
write down what is going on in task manager (ctrl alt del) lets see what is running. also in the start menu, go to run and then type in msconfig. go to the right hand tab and stop all the processes which aren't needed at the beginning. it should free up a little. as for programs? they are all the same really. www.download.com if you are desperate to tweak but be warned, don't use advanced system optimiser, i used it and it completely ruined pc. the registry got messed up. hope that helps
Thu 09/06/05 at 13:55
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
And Im afraid no amount of deleting will improve your RAM, it will free up hard disk space however. RAM has to be physically added to your computer.
Thu 09/06/05 at 13:52
Regular
"8==="
Hmmm.

Depends what you're doing with it.

I think the upload stays the same sometimes and they only upgrade the download speed.
Thu 09/06/05 at 13:41
Regular
Basically I now have my new 2MEG Broadband but it still feels very sluggish

Are there any ways to speed it up ? Basically the PC is old and the RAM is low so the processing speed isn't quite up to scratch - is there any way I can improve my RAM, e.g by deleting files ?

It's a fill-in PC for the new Laptop which I'm getting in the next few weeks, which will be much faster and allow it to run at full capacity.

Until then though ... any ideas ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.