GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"*Crashes*"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/06/05 at 13:41
Regular
Basically I now have my new 2MEG Broadband but it still feels very sluggish

Are there any ways to speed it up ? Basically the PC is old and the RAM is low so the processing speed isn't quite up to scratch - is there any way I can improve my RAM, e.g by deleting files ?

It's a fill-in PC for the new Laptop which I'm getting in the next few weeks, which will be much faster and allow it to run at full capacity.

Until then though ... any ideas ?
Fri 10/06/05 at 18:30
Regular
"Team Laser Explosio"
You can free up some of the RAM using "Memory Maximising" programs.
AnalogX's "MaxMem" is pretty good. It displays a little graph in the corner by the clock to show you how full your RAM is.
Fri 10/06/05 at 16:59
Regular
What Provider do you use aswell?
As for the RAM thing I do know that having a swap file is important as most Programs need it unless you have at LEAST 2gb of RAM even then I still think that's an excessive amount.
Fri 10/06/05 at 15:07
Regular
Is your modem connected via USB by any chance?

USB connected modems are a bit of a pain, they're transfer speeds can hamper performace.

If you are using a USB one, try getting ethernet.
Fri 10/06/05 at 15:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I think the term would be "owned"

But yer I imagine you've probably got spyware or some sort of bandwidth leeching programme running in the background. If you're using IE it doesn't really use much RAM so it probably won't be that.
Fri 10/06/05 at 14:55
Regular
"8==="
Swap file?

Nope, did you not see the Acorn reference?
Thu 09/06/05 at 23:57
Regular
"bing bang bong"
paul_the_invincible wrote:
> yes it's called swap file. it makes your computer real slow if it does
> it, so you can only hope that you have enough ram.

I was going to make this point, only with more sarcasm and a condescending holier-than-thou attitude.
Thu 09/06/05 at 20:18
"bdp(big_dude_paul)"
yes it's called swap file. it makes your computer real slow if it does it, so you can only hope that you have enough ram.
Thu 09/06/05 at 19:49
Regular
"bot"
RAM is RAM.
Windows uses virtual memory on the Hard Disk when it runs out of RAM. The problem with this is that RAM is thousands of times faster than the transfer rate from a HDD.
Thu 09/06/05 at 19:49
Regular
All it does is create an image of a process in the RAM and stores it on the hard drive when it is not being used, to free up available RAM. It doesn't add more RAM and therefore if the RAM is full and every process in the RAM is being used, the hard drive will not increase the amount of RAM.

All PC's do this.
Thu 09/06/05 at 19:41
Regular
"8==="
Well I would show it to you...

It was some trickery to do with memory usage.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.