GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fork in the road."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/06/05 at 23:10
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I’ve left School and I only have four exams left. My next step up the Education ladder is shortly about to begin and I have about 3 months of time to kill until I start college. I am a bit bewildered on what to do. I have taken an interest in a Games Development course. Whilst this sounds all fun and everything I feel it’s a bit of an unreal prospect. If I do take is there a realistic chance of actually cracking the industry and getting job, if not it’s just a waste of 4 years (That’s if I continue at Uni). I feel that getting a few mixed A levels sound a lot more realistic. As a lot of you have made similar choices what do you think will be best for me?
Oh and, can you recommend me any decent part time jobs? This shelf stacking isn’t very motivating at all.
Wed 08/06/05 at 22:07
"period drama"
CDouch wrote:
> The title just makes me think of that gag in The Muppets Movie.

Ahaha, genius.
A fork! In the road!
Wed 08/06/05 at 22:06
Regular
"bot"
A level History is great.
Wed 08/06/05 at 22:05
Regular
"You've upset me"
Wooo History. I've been accepted for it next year but really really don't want to do it now. Been trying to change it... Hmm... maybe I could throw the exam tomorrow...
Wed 08/06/05 at 21:32
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Ashman wrote:
> Sheep-fase, what's the History degree like? I'm taking my first
> History GCSE exam tomorrow and I'm doing it for A-level. I really
> enjoy it, but I'm not sure why. What sort of jobs can it be
> beneficial to, if any?

Well, my courses are quite varied, lots of discussions and essays... I enjoy it.

As for the degree, it is a varied one... it doesn't mean I'm going to be a historian like every moron thinks.

I'm looking at a Master of Science/Arts (not sure which yet) at Glasgow which looks alright. I'm looking at doing some post-graduate stuff, work in a charity (paid obviously) and teaching when I hit my 30s.
Wed 08/06/05 at 21:28
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
The title just makes me think of that gag in The Muppets Movie.
Wed 08/06/05 at 20:48
Regular
I am basically doing the same as you Poopots. I have about 9 exams left - no job and I am waiting around to start a software developement course at College.

Just go for the game dev course and don't bother with A Levels.
Wed 08/06/05 at 20:46
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Sheep-fase, what's the History degree like? I'm taking my first History GCSE exam tomorrow and I'm doing it for A-level. I really enjoy it, but I'm not sure why. What sort of jobs can it be beneficial to, if any?
Wed 08/06/05 at 18:56
Regular
poopots wrote:
> This shelf
> stacking isn’t very motivating at all.

Rubbish! It's a good solid career that.

Once you've built up 8 to 10 years of experience you can even look into getting a promotion to Deputy assistant shelf supervisor.

Admittedly it's no Head toilet cleaner, but you've got to start small.
Work hard and one day you'll have your own isle.
Tue 07/06/05 at 23:45
"period drama"
Nah, not directly.
But you get a 3rd-year placement year, so you might get a job there when you actually finish the course, or otherwise you'll have a load of experience to use elsewhere - which is probably what counts more in the end.

So I'll have a good a chance as any, if not more, of getting a job in games when I graduate. That's all that matters, really. I want it ... I'll get it eventually.

If not, I'll probably have finished my book(s) by then - providing me with either a booster back into games, some interesting to do while I squat in other computer-related work looking to get back into games or perhaps, depending on how successful I am, letting me do feck all.

It's all good.
Tue 07/06/05 at 23:33
Regular
"Just ram it in!"
I want some good hard Sex facts on the job success rate. You should know FFF, don’t they tell you these kind a things?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.