GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ebay Scam attempt AGAIN...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/06/05 at 18:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Flipping heck these guys don't give do do they?? I have relisted my phone with a clear statement saying that I will NOT accept and DHL/UPS deals or Bidpay or any other oddities, I want cold hard paypal cash or cheque only:

So heres what I get today:

"Dear tigamilla,

Our company have Intrest in this your listed item,we need 2 pieces of this items as we need it for our workers that we pay up there salary in the end of 2 weeks and we need the items urgently ,So the items will be added to the salary of our workers as a gift as we always do when paying there salaries. So our company is going to make the payment right away through one of the fast secure way of payment delivery which is (BidPay Money Order) . So we will need your contact name and address where you want the payment to be deliver to you to and we make the payment right away . The payment will be make and you will receive an approved confirmation letter from (BidPay Money Order ) that the payment have been paid & approved . So we make an offer of $300.00 for each item . So the items is needed urgently now to be added to the workers salarie so this items most be deliver within 4 days after payment approved so we will like the items to be ship out thru Fedex EXP*"

Crickey.

Sat 04/06/05 at 18:02
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Flipping heck these guys don't give do do they?? I have relisted my phone with a clear statement saying that I will NOT accept and DHL/UPS deals or Bidpay or any other oddities, I want cold hard paypal cash or cheque only:

So heres what I get today:

"Dear tigamilla,

Our company have Intrest in this your listed item,we need 2 pieces of this items as we need it for our workers that we pay up there salary in the end of 2 weeks and we need the items urgently ,So the items will be added to the salary of our workers as a gift as we always do when paying there salaries. So our company is going to make the payment right away through one of the fast secure way of payment delivery which is (BidPay Money Order) . So we will need your contact name and address where you want the payment to be deliver to you to and we make the payment right away . The payment will be make and you will receive an approved confirmation letter from (BidPay Money Order ) that the payment have been paid & approved . So we make an offer of $300.00 for each item . So the items is needed urgently now to be added to the workers salarie so this items most be deliver within 4 days after payment approved so we will like the items to be ship out thru Fedex EXP*"

Crickey.

Sat 04/06/05 at 18:06
Regular
"Mozzy"
Same thing happened to me quite recently. I've had to relist my phone 4 times and still I get people who are from Nigeria winning my auction and asking for me to send it to their 'sister' in America.

The funniest e-mail they sent me was probably the one where the guy said "I am white and from the American land". Haha.

You can use this filter Ebay have where only people with Paypal accounts can bid on your auctions, most of the scammers dont usually have paypal accounts so they wont beable to bid on your auctions. Theres lots of other filters you can use to stop scammers bidding on your items...
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:28
Regular
I know this is going to make me sound stupid, but whatever...

How exactly do the e-bay scams work? I'm a little confused.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:34
Regular
They use some made up company to "send" the money. They then send a confirmation letter to the seller saying that the money has gone through etc, even though it hasn't.

Gullable seller believes he has the money therefore sends the item off to them.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:35
Regular
To be honest, you've gotta be pretty stupid to fall for that.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:40
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Del Rogeo wrote:
> To be honest, you've gotta be pretty stupid to fall for that.

Well from reading other forums, apparently in some cases they have an elaborate network of fake websites - complete with fake accounts etc, to further lure people in.

I doubt this guy has the intelligence required to go that far though.
Sat 04/06/05 at 18:40
Regular
"In Soviet Russia..."
Note it's always a gift... Are they trying to get sympathy?

Because it's not working.
Sat 04/06/05 at 19:11
Regular
"All about the Beats"
Some dude at my college sold an Xbox Box for £100 on Ebay.

Yep, just the box!

Got away with it too, as he did list it as just the box.
Sat 04/06/05 at 19:25
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
DreamWarBird wrote:
> Some dude at my college sold an Xbox Box for £100 on Ebay.
>
> Yep, just the box!
>
> Got away with it too, as he did list it as just the box.

*worships teh King Cobra*
Wed 06/07/05 at 17:44
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Selling phones on Ebay is a farse. Having specified PAYPAL ONLY many times etc...

Yet again, some scammer goes for the "Buy it now" option with a Malaysian address (which I found very wierd because living in Malaysia surely one would be able to get hold of much more sophisticated phones at much cheaper prices than the UK)- which when I checked it didn't even exist.

So I invoice him in the unlikely even of him beinga agenuine buyer and then he sends this:

"Hello, I would like to pay for this item via postal order,AS you know ,I reside in malaysia,but i'm currently in Nigeria for business, and i want to give it to my business partners as a Gift item for the companies anniversary, so i will like to know if you can ship it to Nigeria, i dont mind paying any amount for the shipping cost, pls if you can do this for me i'll be very grateful. if you accept kindly send your full name and address which am going to send the check to. Here's the shipping address FOR the shipping calculation.
Mr JOSEPH OGBEVIRE.
34,Oni street, Via Randle Avenue,
Surulere 101014
Lagos
Nigeria pls reply ASAP.
kind regards in anticipation of your full co operation"

Oh and his name is apparently "James Wang" with 0 feedback. Moron.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.