GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Abolish Coursework?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/06/05 at 19:25
Regular
"You've upset me"
What are people's views on this? I can't quite decide whether it's a good idea or not.

Coursework provides people who tend to panic in exams the chance of getting a decent grade, but is that necessarily a good thing? With all of education being finally assesed by exams is giving people a way out a good idea?

Sooooo... anyone?
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:25
Regular
"You've upset me"
What are people's views on this? I can't quite decide whether it's a good idea or not.

Coursework provides people who tend to panic in exams the chance of getting a decent grade, but is that necessarily a good thing? With all of education being finally assesed by exams is giving people a way out a good idea?

Sooooo... anyone?
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:28
Regular
I think it should be the other way round - abolish exams. I don't think it's fair to determine someone's future by the result of a bunch of 1-2hour long tests.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:29
Regular
"Not a Jew"
..that are essentially a memory test.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:34
Regular
"You've upset me"
English and, to a lesser extent, History aren't memory tests.

I'm not quite sure which way to argue on this. Abolishing exams is also an idea that I'm not quite convinced of. The modular A-level system seems a fairly good way of doing it to me.

I just find some subjects coursework ridiculous, per examplé: I can not turn up to my Drama exam and will get a very strong B. I need around 14/80 for an A, and around 42/80 for an A*. It's just ridiculous. Same goes for Geography, I've already passed the subject just with my coursework. Silly. And History...
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:37
Regular
"Not a Jew"
English isn't, history is - memorise the textbook like I did for GCSE (I just read over it and made notes and the important things stuck) regurgitate it and get an A*. It was essentially plagarism..
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:39
Regular
"You've upset me"
RoJ wrote:
> English isn't, history is - memorise the textbook like I did for GCSE
> (I just read over it and made notes and the important things stuck)
> regurgitate it and get an A*. It was essentially plagarism..

Yeah but you can't do that with interpretation and whatnot of Sources.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:41
Regular
"Not a Jew"
True. That's why I hate sources. Actually I think my hatred is justified, in a lot of cases they expect you to write realms of information on a source when you just can't because of its limited content. A few acute sentences could answer some of those 8 mark source questions.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:43
Regular
"You've upset me"
RoJ wrote:
> True. That's why I hate sources. Actually I think my hatred is
> justified, in a lot of cases they expect you to write realms of
> information on a source when you just can't because of its limited
> content. A few acute sentences could answer some of those 8 mark
> source questions.

Yup. The criteria for answering Source questions is just daft sometimes.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:43
Regular
"You've upset me"
And fecking 15 mark essays. Not hard but bloody time consuming.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:48
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Have you done A-Level history?
The marks there are something like 8 marks, 22 and 25 for 3 essays.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.