GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"best beat em ups"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/05/01 at 13:37
Regular
We have seen so many fighting games over the past ten years and are very popular indeed. Is it the crazy moves? Or is it the way you hurt someone? There have been games with a lot of blood in, a lot of wild weapons in and some extreme magical powers to use when used to kill the opponent or knock him/her out. Most of these crazy beat em ups have been most addictive and fun to play with a massive range of different moves to pull off too which make them excellent for multiplayer fun.

Back in the days of the megadrive there were games like street fighter or streets of rage both involved beating the wind out of other guys and it was so appealing and fun to do. The aim of street fighter was just to K.O the other fighter and just pull off cool punching combos and moves. The back round was just plain’ish and there wasn’t anything to use from your surroundings but it was still great fun.

Streets of Rage involved more things to do and use throughout the game to get past all of your enemies that stand in the way. As the aim of the game was to reach the end of each level without dying you had to punch, kick, jump and throw goons to reach your goal and fight the end of level boss. There was more depth to it though as you could pick up weapons and smash poles round other peoples heads which was extreme fun! Also you could call the cops and they would shoot a ring of fire into the enemies on the screen at that time.

Since then there have been a lot of games like this with some ace moves and nice back rounds. On the playstation we saw the whole street fighter alpha series with brilliant 2d graphics and simple colourful back rounds and characters included as well. This offered nothing like we had seen before and players good now use super power ups and magic powers which visual wise was an extreme wonder. With some quick combos and nice graphics these were good at the time. Also we saw games like Tekken, where it was more serious and used some cool moves and unlike the alphas it is 3d and pushes the psx to it’s limits.

The point of this topic is? What makes the best beat em up these days? Well we have moved on to the point where we can interact with the back rounds, which is awesome Just look at dead or alive 2 for the ps2 and DC. You can throw the other character into the wall, off of a building, or even through the window of a church which looks brilliant and it is worth playing just to see someone crash through the banister of a theatre, or kicking someone into a rocket to see it explode!! Now these games are exceptional for playing with friends and you can spend an afternoon beating each other around.

Dead or alive 3 for the Xbox is looking very impressive taking the interactive back round usage so much further. The same options are open to you where you can smash the other muscle bound hunk through the wall but it looks so much more realistic with the wall splitting up and cracking in a funky way. We will also see dents in the floor after a massive slam and some cool water effects as well that all look awesome!

So in the near years to come hopefully we will see some excellent beat em ups where weapons, interactive scenery and more cool combos still keep entertaining us
But in the future we expect to see games in which you could do nearly anything you want for instance picking up a boulder and throwing it in Tekken 8 or suchlike which would prove very funny indeed!

In 8 years time and consoles are playing with 200 bit graphics and the fighting games are so realistic then I will be very happy indeed!

Cheers

T_W
Sat 02/06/01 at 16:03
K.....
Sat 02/06/01 at 16:02
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Hes not the only one going to the cinema Im going around 5-6!
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
See ya
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:31
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
In other words "bye".
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:29
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Fair enough. Anyway I must be leaving now as I am going to see Pearl Harbor. Farewell fellow gamer.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I like all newbies that have good SPAG and post good topics. As everyone does.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:24
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Hold on a second. You like me again. AGAIN???
When did you ever like me before.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Thanks.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Great. I like you again.
Sat 02/06/01 at 13:20
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
You're welcome

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.