GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recommend a good C++ book?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/06/05 at 11:45
Regular
Have decided that now that uni is almost over its probably a good time to start deciding what to do next.
At the moment I'm thinking along the lines of learning another language - c++ so I come to you asking for some suggestions.

Best books/web pages that are likely to make the learning process that bit easier.

Also anyone on here decent at programming in c++?
Thanks
Fri 03/06/05 at 15:44
AliBoy wrote:
>
> Just wanted to see if I could have a decent go at some C++
> development, mostly aimed towards games programming.

Heh, doesn't everyone? ;)

AliBoy wrote:

>
> Any suggestions on which compiler to use and any decent tutorial
> sites?

Despite my future alliances, I would recommend Microsoft's own compiler - if you have VS then you're already sorted; if not, it comes with the Visual C++ toolkit. Though I'm not going to use it next year, it is what most devcos use, at least initially.

As said before, gcc, or rather MinGW, which is more a set of headers and libs along with the GNU toolset. I hear that the Borland compiler is rather efficient too, but you can't go wrong from the above.

Oh - I recently discovered that DarkBASIC have an offshoot available, which integrates its own command set into VC++ as a library, so you'll be able to use all of its shortcuts in the IDE. I'd imagine it's rather nifty, but don't have the SDK (costs £30 I think), so I wouldn't know.

Most notable site is gamedev.net - it's all you need really.
Thu 02/06/05 at 22:27
Regular
"relocated"
I'd reccommend Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ volumes 1 and 2, both of which are free in electronic form: [URL]http://www.pythoncriticalmass.com/[/URL]. It's a long time since I looked at them (and my C++ is pretty ropey) but I think he's an excellent writer who gets to the heart of the matter and gives you a real understanding of a language. His Java book is great in my opinion - so good that I bought a hard copy too.
Thu 02/06/05 at 21:44
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
There is a version of gcc for Windows. In fact, why not try Bloodshed's Dev-C++ ([URL]http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html[/URL]) - an editor and compiler (uses gcc, incidentally) all in one (i.e. an IDE). Probably the most popular free C/C++ IDE going.

If you're looking to learn C++ to write games, this is the book for you - http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/ 1592002056/026-0594531-0994841?%5Fencoding=UTF8. It'll teach you the fundamentals of C++ (and very well at that), whilst putting a slant on gaming apps - what more could you ask for??
Thu 02/06/05 at 20:10
Regular
I have no idea to be honest, ask someone who uses Windows.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:29
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
and if I use none of the above? :0)
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:16
Regular
If you use MacOS/Linux/Unix I'd reccomend gcc.
Thu 02/06/05 at 19:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
lcarus wrote:
> ShiggyWiggyWoo wrote:
>
> Also anyone on here decent at programming in c++?
> Thanks
>
> If working at Sony tech group next year qualifies as
> "decent", then I guess that's me. But seriously, there are
> so many C++ books all covering the same stuff in different ways; to
> be honest, I'm surprised uni didn't have at least a module on it, but
> if you're looking for a starter I recommend those from Petzold and
> Stroustrup.

Any suggestions on which compiler to use and any decent tutorial sites?
Thu 02/06/05 at 14:57
Regular
"Selected"
I'm looking into C++ books at the minute.

What's all this Primer book malarkey I've been hearing about - are those any good?

Also, I'm sure folks on here were talking of some sort of C++ manual they use...
Thu 02/06/05 at 14:57
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I did quite a bit of C at uni but they never covered C++, just JAVA.

Just wanted to see if I could have a decent go at some C++ development, mostly aimed towards games programming.
Think I'll go have a look around amazon to try find something decent.
Cheers
Thu 02/06/05 at 14:43
ShiggyWiggyWoo wrote:
>
> Also anyone on here decent at programming in c++?
> Thanks

If working at Sony tech group next year qualifies as "decent", then I guess that's me. But seriously, there are so many C++ books all covering the same stuff in different ways; to be honest, I'm surprised uni didn't have at least a module on it, but if you're looking for a starter I recommend those from Petzold and Stroustrup.

gamesfreak wrote:

> I have a book on PHP called "Mastering PHP 4.1" which is by
> a company called "Sybex", I found it very useful

Most helpful, thanks!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.