GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TURN OF THE CRITICS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 23:00
Regular
We've all criticised major games corporations at some stage, and right now more than ever people are taking jabs at the big money companies currently producing the so called "next gen" consoles.

But, what is it you'd do differently if you were head of the company?

Bill Gates's vision of X-Box has been crumbling, or so we're told, recently, and in the views of many he seems to be fighting a losing battle.

So, what would you do to revoloutionise, or at least add to the games industry right now? Within the realms of reality, what would you add to a games company that would bring something new to the world of gaming?

Show your 'real' knowledge of the games industry, show why you really could make the head of the next major games company.
Wed 30/05/01 at 23:00
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
We've all criticised major games corporations at some stage, and right now more than ever people are taking jabs at the big money companies currently producing the so called "next gen" consoles.

But, what is it you'd do differently if you were head of the company?

Bill Gates's vision of X-Box has been crumbling, or so we're told, recently, and in the views of many he seems to be fighting a losing battle.

So, what would you do to revoloutionise, or at least add to the games industry right now? Within the realms of reality, what would you add to a games company that would bring something new to the world of gaming?

Show your 'real' knowledge of the games industry, show why you really could make the head of the next major games company.
Wed 30/05/01 at 23:03
Regular
"You've upset me"
I'd give the public what it wanted. Not a console with numerous add ons and flashy graphics.

A games console. Nothing more, nothing less. A console to play games on. Great games. Games with good gameplay and a decent challenge. Not games with gorgeous looking graphcis but no gameplay.

I wouldn't give in to pressure to market the console to meet the public demand. I'd keep working and then release it WHEN IT WAS READY. Same goes for the games on it.

And THAT is what the games industry is missing.
Wed 30/05/01 at 23:35
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
RBS done a post over 2 lines long?! :O

Anyway, i think you have just described the GAMECUBE there RBS.

They haven't got all the DVD features etc, just a pure games console. Yes, the games have great graphics, but look at the games like Pikmin....now that is what I call serious gameplay, don't you?

If you do not know much about this game basically you have crash landed on a weird planet and you have to collect parts od your spaceship to go back to where ever you came from. There are obsticales in your way, and that's when your army of ants come in handy. You try to take down spiders etc and command your army what to do.

It looks a very good game.

I tend to aggree with RBS though, everything that he has said is important to the gaming world!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:00
Regular
I think if the Xbox fails Mr. Gates may have a smug grin on his face as he opposed the project initially, but his board thought it would be a good idea, and so Mr. Allard had to do all of the work on his own, and considering no one has heard of him, he has done quite well!!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If I were the head of a games company I would...

...just sell up and not bother. The market is contolled by Sony and Nintendo.

Nintendo is catering for the younger and hardcore, but branching out into older games. Serious Ninties will stick with whatever Nintendo bring out, and they are none the worse for it.

Sony is catering for the rest of us, trendy gamers and also hardcore gamers as well. Sony has worked wonders for games, making them cool, "in" and worth more than the film industry. Sony appeals to hardcore gamers like me that not only want great games, but want mature ones and also to be able to say "I've got a PS"whatever" to non-gamers and not be labelled a geek".

All in all, there's no room for another console. The market has reached an equillibrium, and I forsee it will stay that way.
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:21
Regular
It all comes down to taste!!

I'm a grand old 18 and I asked myself one question when I pre-ordered my PS2;

Do I want to play MGS2, or play another Mario/Zelda game, one winner!!

So off I toddled down to Game with my N64 under my arm, only disappointed at letting go of Goldeneye. So its 11:50 on Thursday and I'm at the end of a queue of about 15 people, with more piling on the end. Game let us in on the secret that they have 150 PS2s and we would be the first to get them in the country. So they start selling them, by 12:30, i finally got to the desk, and they go through all of my N64 stuff, transfer packs and all!! Eventuall the decide to give me £130, so instead of getting a PS2, a memory card, a Scart cable, Tekken and RRV, I also bought an extra pad, Timesplitters (more than compensates for Goldeneye!!), Iss and SSX, to keep me going!!
I get out of game at 1:30 and get home and unpack all my delightful stuff, to my relief it worked!!

Now six months down the line I have bought another 5 games, and am now being hassled by the release of a console which is still over a year away, by which time I will more than likely own;

GT3
Red Faction
Devil May Cry
Herdy Gerdy
Timesplitters 2
ISS Evo 3
MGS2
GTA3
Project Eden
Extermination
Silent Hill2
Final Fantasy 10

Now, do I sound like I have wasted my money buying a PS2??
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:23
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Good point!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:26
Regular
Well thank you!!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:27
Timesplitters 2? Tell me more!
Thu 31/05/01 at 00:27
Regular
You haven't seen the screenshots??? Go to www.dailyradar.co.uk at once!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.