GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just read..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/11/04 at 14:37
Regular
The new Edge and once again they are loving Nintendo. It centres around the DS, the console they are backing to win the handheld war. I read it and managed to get several points from it.

It is a good article and they point out this is the "new Nintendo" and will be totally different from the N64 and the recent failure of the Gamecube. They criticise it too, claiming the DS is not easy to use and that Nintendo may have "underestimated the popularity of the touch screen with developers" and that although there are many games most are more misses than hits.

But they are also keen to point out the system was announced in January, shown in May then released by November. A year. Pratically unheard of. And that Mario Kart the year before was a similar occurance. It could be signs of a quicker more agile Nintendo.

They are loving the DS' price, even at £150 the PSP is still £50 more than a DS. Which is a lotta money no matter how you look at it. They also like the way it looks and the ideas behind it. They think it is bravery from Nintendo, something they haven't shown for a long time.

They are keen to point out the fact it is supposed to give hints to the "revolution" which indicates that Nintendo are almost totally changing the way it normally designs and makes machines.

They also congratulate it in its ability to counter-act the PSP. Although it is a simultaneous launch in Japan in the US it is released in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas... with the PSP due at Easter that is 2 holidays and a 5 month head start for the console. They also say that Nintendo may turn a blind eye to European importers. The only reason it hasn't hit Europe is the screen shortage and so therefore Nintendo are more than happy to allow Europeans to start building a small European fan base.

The way the article ends is pretty good too. The DS delivers first and promises second. Sony are promising everything with the PSP, yet haven't delivered anything yet.

Brings hope in what has been a dark time for Ninty news.
Wed 03/11/04 at 18:29
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Marcini wrote:
> either that or millions of people are idiots.

Hit the nail on the head. Just look at America..

Oh and please try to capitalise the start of sentences.. it gets annoying >_<
Wed 03/11/04 at 09:02
Regular
Som people Marcini feel that Halo is the only game on this planet and they must make shrines to worship it.

*shakes head*

Halo 2 will be good, but come on, it's basically an updated Halo and Halo wasn't all that special. It was just a simple, well-worked FPS.

As for the DS, I can see it suceeding, but I'm like you Marcini. I never take my GBA on holidays with me and I'll only play it if I've got a new game, like I've just bought Leaf Green. I'll play my GBA for about 1-2 weeks to see how far I can get with the game. But I'll never go back to it, because my Xbox/Cube are screaming to be played on.
Tue 02/11/04 at 23:45
Regular
"Bow to me!"
what does anyone see in halo anyway? i played it for a bit and it wasnt that special. im sure its pretty good if you get into it... either that or millions of people are idiots.
i never really see much in portable consoles like DS. i end up getting them all as soon as they come out and somehow get loads of games but they last about a week for me. if im going on hols i dont wanna waste my time playing a game thats not that good anyway. i would rather play a propper console in time thats actually free. if your playing when your out somewhere then you might aswell not be out at all... in fact go home! also makes you look an idiot and allows people to snatch your stuff and run away with it (never happened to me but someone in an old school - he called the police and noting happened... at all)
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:04
Regular
I R HOOPSTA wrote:
> *agrees with gerrid*
>
> *disagrees with Apple Crumble*
>
> :S

Are you trying to develop a personal vednetta against me Hoopsta, just because you're a Halo 2 fanboy?

*shakes head*
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:04
Regular
Oh, I know GBA owners a-plenty.

And I'm almost 15.

There are even PS2 owners I know who have a GBA. When we went to France about a year ago on a school trip the GBA was the highlight of the trip.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:03
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
*agrees with gerrid*

*disagrees with Apple Crumble*

:S
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:03
Regular
"the burning sky"
gerrid wrote:
because you'll probably be forced to use Sony's
> restrictive SonicStage music compression to get music onto the PSP
> anyway.

Sonicstage doesnt 'force' you to compress music, you can store MP3's if you want. Its just thats a little useless when it comes to MD's and such. The compression software isnt all that bad...
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:02
Regular
Handheld market is massive right now. Currently the millions of handheld gamers are almost all Nintendo gamers. To coax them away from their beloved handheld company will take a lot.

Nintendo have succeeded in handhelds where they've failed at home consoles is due to how different the markets are. Handhelds appeal to children, young teens and those that are just after a quick single player laugh.

Playing a handheld console is never cool. So the whole "cool" thing is removed, so it doesn't matter if it is GTA or Mario. GTA on a handheld is still not cool.

Few adults buy handheld games. Look at the failure of the N-gage.

I don't know many GBA owners... mainly because my friends are all 19 +
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:01
Regular
*agrees with gerrid*
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
In all honesty I can't see the PSPs ability to play UMD movies actually being all that useful.
Portable DVD players are only any good when you go on holiday and are bored, because a) you have enough time on your hands to actually watch a film and b) yo udont have a tv and dvd player with you when you go camping/spain/hiking/skiing/bear hunting.

handhelds have always been about pick up and play bursts of gaming while waiting for the dentist or on the bus - why do you think Tetris was so popular. Even The original Marios were designed to be played one level at a time - that's why they were so repetetive. Nowadays obviously we have all these SNES ports so there are a lot of longer games like LttP and all the RPGs, but those are still games which you can pick up and play for 20 minutes, even if you do get engrossed and end up playing for a whole day. With films, you can't just pick it up and watch it for 20 minutes then come back to it later - it just doesn't work.
Music I understand, but anyone interested enough in music to want to listen to it on the go who can afford a PSP already has an iPod or similar, and, let's face it, no one's going to choose their PSP over their iPod, because you'll probably be forced to use Sony's restrictive SonicStage music compression to get music onto the PSP anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.