GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"YOU make the game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 19:30
Regular
Games companies come up with ideas for games, make games and release games and we, the buyers, get excited about the games (sometimes) and buy the games (sometimes) This is the way it has always been, since time (or games) began. But stop and think for a minute. Perhaps we could take a more active part in the first process? Perhaps the concept could come from the people who buy the game, the same people that are waiting for that special game that will match their ideals.

When most people send a games company an idea for a game, however much work they put into it, they often just get a letter back saying something like ‘thanks for the effort, but we’ve got in-house developers, thank you very much!’ which is annoying, to say the least. You could always study programming or art and get a job in the business, but not everyone wants to do that. You might have one or two good ideas that you’re just bursting to get turned into a game and no outlet for your Tony Hart-like artistic moments.

So I say to games developers everywhere, please create a small division for looking at customer’s ideas, even if it’s just one person in a broom cupboard, as long as they take the ideas seriously and consider it for a game. Some of the ideas that have appeared on the new games forum here show how dedicated the games buying people are and some of the ideas are really worth turning into a game.

Wouldn’t it be great to play a Capcom or Rare game based on your ideas, and know that other people are doing the same all over the world? It could save a games firm lots of money and give them the new and original game they need to hit the top of the charts and perhaps prevent a glut of sequels and unoriginal games from clogging up the shelves every few months.

Who knows, you might be able to come up with the next Sonic or Mario character, a Spanish dustman from Dundee called Jose, perhaps, or a Speedy green snail called Slimester, or maybe not. But the fact is that the choice would be yours and the power to create what could be the next big blockbuster game could be in your hands. And who knows, if you're interested in a job with a software house, there's no reason why a successful game idea couldn't get you a job there, or at least a sponsorship for a university course and some work experience.
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:57
Regular
"You've upset me"
I've had his name tattooed on my forehead.

:-D
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:55
I'm a games fan, but what has this fellow ever done for me? Nothing, he makes his little games and he makes his big profits and that's what it's all about. He does it for him and we pay him for it so I owe him nothing... except money.
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:51
any games fan should have his name engraved on their arm...
Thu 31/05/01 at 19:48
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
His name is Shigeru Miyamoto Bonus. Get it right. He is a top man and should have his anme spelt right by those who worship him.
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
turbonutter wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
> It sold 19 copies.

And only one
> person bought it.

SHEEPY???

no 19 people bought it... although 18 of them were Sheepy yes... Meka was the other...

:-D
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:10
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> It sold 19 copies.

And only one person bought it.

SHEEPY???
Thu 31/05/01 at 18:05
Regular
"You've upset me"
M16 wrote:
> I am sure that if you made a vertual sex game it would be a very
> good seller

They have actually done this. It was a Japenese only game for the N64 called "Virtual Girl" Basically you had to chat up this girl using the pre provided lines then get her to take her kit off and hop into bed.

It sold 19 copies.
Thu 31/05/01 at 14:02
Regular
Exactly, and most people fall into thatt exact category, not many good ideas!!
Thu 31/05/01 at 13:56
I've read that many popular games such as pokemon and Mario
were first thought up by the eventual designers in their childhood, long before they had anything to do with making games. Becoming a game designer doesn't automatically mean only you have good ideas
Thu 31/05/01 at 13:50
Regular
How many people can agree how to spend £300 each so that they all benefit?? None, so why throw games production open to the general public. The best games are al master,inded by great individual genius, i.e. Hideo Kojima with MGS and ZOE and Sergio Myamoto with every decent Nintend game ever!! So what makes asking the average Tom, Dick or Harry what they want so important??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.