GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"YOU make the game..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/05/01 at 19:30
Regular
Games companies come up with ideas for games, make games and release games and we, the buyers, get excited about the games (sometimes) and buy the games (sometimes) This is the way it has always been, since time (or games) began. But stop and think for a minute. Perhaps we could take a more active part in the first process? Perhaps the concept could come from the people who buy the game, the same people that are waiting for that special game that will match their ideals.

When most people send a games company an idea for a game, however much work they put into it, they often just get a letter back saying something like ‘thanks for the effort, but we’ve got in-house developers, thank you very much!’ which is annoying, to say the least. You could always study programming or art and get a job in the business, but not everyone wants to do that. You might have one or two good ideas that you’re just bursting to get turned into a game and no outlet for your Tony Hart-like artistic moments.

So I say to games developers everywhere, please create a small division for looking at customer’s ideas, even if it’s just one person in a broom cupboard, as long as they take the ideas seriously and consider it for a game. Some of the ideas that have appeared on the new games forum here show how dedicated the games buying people are and some of the ideas are really worth turning into a game.

Wouldn’t it be great to play a Capcom or Rare game based on your ideas, and know that other people are doing the same all over the world? It could save a games firm lots of money and give them the new and original game they need to hit the top of the charts and perhaps prevent a glut of sequels and unoriginal games from clogging up the shelves every few months.

Who knows, you might be able to come up with the next Sonic or Mario character, a Spanish dustman from Dundee called Jose, perhaps, or a Speedy green snail called Slimester, or maybe not. But the fact is that the choice would be yours and the power to create what could be the next big blockbuster game could be in your hands. And who knows, if you're interested in a job with a software house, there's no reason why a successful game idea couldn't get you a job there, or at least a sponsorship for a university course and some work experience.
Wed 30/05/01 at 19:30
"possibly impossible"
Games companies come up with ideas for games, make games and release games and we, the buyers, get excited about the games (sometimes) and buy the games (sometimes) This is the way it has always been, since time (or games) began. But stop and think for a minute. Perhaps we could take a more active part in the first process? Perhaps the concept could come from the people who buy the game, the same people that are waiting for that special game that will match their ideals.

When most people send a games company an idea for a game, however much work they put into it, they often just get a letter back saying something like ‘thanks for the effort, but we’ve got in-house developers, thank you very much!’ which is annoying, to say the least. You could always study programming or art and get a job in the business, but not everyone wants to do that. You might have one or two good ideas that you’re just bursting to get turned into a game and no outlet for your Tony Hart-like artistic moments.

So I say to games developers everywhere, please create a small division for looking at customer’s ideas, even if it’s just one person in a broom cupboard, as long as they take the ideas seriously and consider it for a game. Some of the ideas that have appeared on the new games forum here show how dedicated the games buying people are and some of the ideas are really worth turning into a game.

Wouldn’t it be great to play a Capcom or Rare game based on your ideas, and know that other people are doing the same all over the world? It could save a games firm lots of money and give them the new and original game they need to hit the top of the charts and perhaps prevent a glut of sequels and unoriginal games from clogging up the shelves every few months.

Who knows, you might be able to come up with the next Sonic or Mario character, a Spanish dustman from Dundee called Jose, perhaps, or a Speedy green snail called Slimester, or maybe not. But the fact is that the choice would be yours and the power to create what could be the next big blockbuster game could be in your hands. And who knows, if you're interested in a job with a software house, there's no reason why a successful game idea couldn't get you a job there, or at least a sponsorship for a university course and some work experience.
Wed 30/05/01 at 19:35
Regular
"everyone says it"
YOU make the game...

....No I don't, I just test them... :P

Nice topic, Nintendo are looking for workers in there new hq in Surrey.....
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:17
"possibly impossible"
I just had this mental image of Nintendo employing little elves. Don't know why, but had a picture of a big factory with lots of singing elves making Nintendo games.

'Elves wanted: apply within'
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:19
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
pb wrote:
> I just had this mental image of Nintendo employing little elves.
> Don't know why, but had a picture of a big factory with lots of
> singing elves making Nintendo games.

'Elves wanted: apply
> within'

LOL!
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:20
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
That is a great idea I have always wanted my own personal game!
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:22
That would be great...
Wed 30/05/01 at 20:58
"possibly impossible"
Elvis walks into Nintendo UK...

"Hi, I'm looking for a job"

"huh?" says the Nintendo personnel rep.

"Well, I saw your advert saying 'Elvis wanted: apply within' and thought I'd apply."

"ah, perhaps you'd better get a new pair of glasses...."
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:02
Regular
"You've upset me"
The problem is thay wouldn't have mass market appeal would they?

I mean, if you designed a game that YOU personally would be great then sure, fine. But one mans heaven is another mans hell, there's bound to be someone who hates that game. If a games got a player range of one... Well, it's not too good is it?!

Companies can't afford to waste money. Sure, if they perhaps did a survey and then added all the features that were most poular then that would be great.

It's a great idea and one that I'd love to take part in, but I just can't see companies having the balls to do something like that.
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:06
"possibly impossible"
That's the problem with companies, having guts enough to start the idea rolling.

But as for your first point, I think that games companies are pretty good at judging what will sell (well, some are anyway) and they'd just sort through the ideas and pull out the best ones, but it's better than not listening to customer's ideas at all.
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
pb wrote:
(well, some are
> anyway)

Hehehe :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.