GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Little Science help please?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ok, asking for some help here, thanks to anyone who helps in advance:

Im looking for suggestions of any solid (eg. iron, copper, gold, silver, slightly more remote things like Iridium, or can be something like Sodium Chloride) that has interesting physical properties, for instance, does it sink only in a certain liquid, or just has something quirky or unique about in in general, odd or humourous applications (but not obscene!) applications.

A slight odd ask I know, but serious suggestions would be most welcome from anyone willing to help in the search or knows one from their physics/chemistry.

Cheers
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ok, asking for some help here, thanks to anyone who helps in advance:

Im looking for suggestions of any solid (eg. iron, copper, gold, silver, slightly more remote things like Iridium, or can be something like Sodium Chloride) that has interesting physical properties, for instance, does it sink only in a certain liquid, or just has something quirky or unique about in in general, odd or humourous applications (but not obscene!) applications.

A slight odd ask I know, but serious suggestions would be most welcome from anyone willing to help in the search or knows one from their physics/chemistry.

Cheers
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:07
Regular
"You've upset me"
Not strictly a solid (or even a chemical) but cornflower has the rather lovely property of acting like either a liquid or a solid depending on the amount of force applied to it. Hitting it hard makes it act like a solid, but push down on it gently and it acts as a liquid. There's a special word for it (begins with Z if I remember correctly).

Probably of no use to you, but meh :)
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:10
Regular
Vanadium is the best element, fact.

Four oxidation states!!
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:12
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I float, unless I breathe out, then I sink.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Vanadium is the best element, fact.
>
> Four oxidation states!!

Which reaction is that used as a catalyst for? I should know, but can't remember. Last stage of manufacturing sulphuric acid?
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:14
Regular
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Whitestripes DX wrote:
> Vanadium is the best element, fact.
>
> Four oxidation states!!
>
> Which reaction is that used as a catalyst for? I should know, but
> can't remember. Last stage of manufacturing sulphuric acid?

Yes.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:15
Regular
"You've upset me"
Go me.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:16
Regular
If you want something interesting try adding LiAlH4 to water.

If you want something more dangerous add PCl5 powder to an alcohol and take a deep breath in.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:16
Regular
Obviously those numbers should be at the bottom.
Tue 24/05/05 at 21:26
Regular
Selenium is the coolest element thanks to Evolution.

Either that or one of the elements they can't be bothered to name.

Ununumium or something.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.