GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Little Science help please?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/05/05 at 21:02
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ok, asking for some help here, thanks to anyone who helps in advance:

Im looking for suggestions of any solid (eg. iron, copper, gold, silver, slightly more remote things like Iridium, or can be something like Sodium Chloride) that has interesting physical properties, for instance, does it sink only in a certain liquid, or just has something quirky or unique about in in general, odd or humourous applications (but not obscene!) applications.

A slight odd ask I know, but serious suggestions would be most welcome from anyone willing to help in the search or knows one from their physics/chemistry.

Cheers
Thu 26/05/05 at 18:06
"period drama"
Yes, the wall of fire was one of my teacher's favourties as well.
The first time he just slogged a load of liquid on the table right next to me, and put a match to it.

Liquid: *whoomph*
Me: *parp*
Thu 26/05/05 at 17:14
Regular
"lets go back"
Could it have been non-newtonian? Thats a term describing liquids.
Thu 26/05/05 at 16:46
Regular
"-_-"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> but cornflower has therather lovely property of acting like either a liquid or a solid
depending on the amount of force applied to it. Hitting it hard makes
> it act like a solid, but push down on it gently and it acts as a
> liquid. There's a special word for it (begins with Z if I remember
> correctly).

Well on brainiac john tickle walked over some starchy custard with corn flowe in, think he said it was non-neutroleum or something like that...
Thu 26/05/05 at 13:55
Ahh, these ideas are wonderful. Keep 'em coming.
Thu 26/05/05 at 13:32
Regular
"lets go back"
So far everyone has listed chemical properties and the topic asks for interesting Physical properties. But hey, its not my thread and Ive enjoyed reading it.

My chemistry teacher did loads of crazy experiments.

He filled the lab with bromine gas, he made gunpowder and other explosives, he had one called the wall of fire, basically throwing a bottle of ether all over the place and then droping a lit match (I call it arson personaly), he set stuff on fire using a home made flame thrower such as the blackboard, posters on the wall, some lad called Ben, my bag.

It was all exciting stuff.
Thu 26/05/05 at 12:04
Regular
"The definitive tag"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> blunderfisch wrote:
> I've always dreamed of taking a massive kilo block of caesium and
> throwing it into a river
>
> My old science teacher did that ... except just with whatever one of
> that group you're actually allowed in schools.
>
> Put a big trough of water in this little courtyard bit, dumped a
> massive hunk of >whateveritis< in and legged it back inside.
>
> It didn't do anything for ages ... everyone was all "wtf!1 this
> sucks, mate!" and then .... BOOM. The glass tray thing broke,
> and everyone shat themselves.

My old teacher did a similarly ridiculous experiment once. She dumped an enormous amount of magnesium powder into a bowl then proceeded to light it with a blowtorch.

It was basically like having an extremly powerful firework going off at ground level and only about seven feet in front of you. Was incredibly bright and probably very dangerous. She put up some plastic guards which were only about two feet high, which fell onto the inferno and melted.

She totally underestimated the outcome, what a day.
Wed 25/05/05 at 23:06
"slightlyshortertagl"
What ye ended up doing?
Wed 25/05/05 at 12:15
Regular
"..."
cookie monster wrote:
> It never gets dull, the video i saw still blows me away. Once i stole
> some calcium from school and the sweat from my fingers triggered the
> reaction and it started to burn my hand.

Heh. I think that must be the 'most stolen' element from Chemistry classes...a bunch of ladfs at our school stole a huge chunk, but then got nervous about being caught and disposed of it in the bogs. One cracked toilet later, they were caught.
Tue 24/05/05 at 23:02
Regular
"i know all da cheat"
yer the good times of your science teacher well change the subject to da cheat master
Tue 24/05/05 at 23:02
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Decoy Octopus wrote:
> If you want fun try doing a History degree

I am

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.