GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How many PC games should grace upon the Xbox?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/11/04 at 21:36
Regular
How many PC ports do you think should appear on the Xbox?

More?

Much more?

Less?

Only the good ones?
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:36
Regular
How many PC ports do you think should appear on the Xbox?

More?

Much more?

Less?

Only the good ones?
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:37
Regular
If you're that bothered then buy a PC.

EDIT: I know you're on one. I mean one capable of playing games obviously.
Tue 02/11/04 at 21:39
Regular
Everyone has a PC. It's the law.

But should games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2 etc.. be tarted up for a 'Live' Xbox version, or should they just rack in the sales from the PC versions and not bother?
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:11
"I love yo... lamp."
I'd like to see some more. The main PC games that I miss on Xbox are strategy games such as Command & Conquer. It would be great on Live.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:13
Regular
In short, no.

2 examples from my point of view...

Deus Ex: Invisible War - completely f**ked up to make "a more user friendly interface" according to Warren Spector, confined environments, technically poor, a classic example of how PC games turn out average when ported to consoles. Seeing as development was done in-step with the PC version it wasn't hard to see where it went all wrong.

Thief: Deadly Shadows - granted, I thoroughly enjoyed it, decent game but it could've been so MUCH more. Again, this suffered (albeit no where near as badly) the same painful transition onto the Xbox with joint development. If you take a look at both versions, the PC version on a high end PC is clearly far better across the board. If this had been a solely a PC project you would be looking at a modern day master-piece but instead it is just a decent game.

I see no problem with porting games like Rainbow Six when the PC version was developed on its own and was nearly a completely different style of game in its own right. This was the pure bread tactical version where as the Xbox version was aimed more towards the arcade market. Both excellent versions for different reasons. The PC version has a stellar single player that is one of the most time consuming yet enjoyable games over the past few years, buggy as hell online. The Xbox version had a top notch online section which wasn't without its bugs but was generally better suited.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:17
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> I'd like to see some more. The main PC games that I miss on Xbox are
> strategy games such as Command & Conquer. It would be great on
> Live.

All console strategy games suck muchos. The extremely low resolution doesn't help.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:24
Regular
True.

C&C Generals wouldn't even get off the ground on Xbox. Bump up the settings on that and you are looking at one hell of a technically impressive game.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:27
"I love yo... lamp."
Command & Conquer was fantastic on the Saturn. Consoles are exponentially more powerful now than they ever used to be. Command & Conquer Generals would just about run on Xbox. It would if it was coded for it instead of being a PC game.

Now whilst I realise that would only be at lowest graphics quality, all things considered, lowest graphics quality in Generals would still be pretty decent, for a strategy game on a console anyway. Certainly the next generation of consoles would easily be able to run them.

Doom 3 should be good because it is being coded for Xbox, not being ported. Some things in computers port just fine. Some bits of code just don't change. But some things do, and that should be properly taken into account, if necessary redesigned, not just squashed to fit like many ports.
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:37
Regular
"Touched!"
I think the main problem when porting a PC game/ series to a console such as the Xbox is that they treat it in the wrong way, they think that everyone who plays an Xbox is dumb so they make it linear. Take Rainbow Six for example, they have totally removed any sort of decent planning system and instead made the levels linear thus lacking replay value. Damn it we want proper PC ports not half assed jobs!
Tue 02/11/04 at 22:43
Regular
But the Xbox version jus**t wouldn't cope without major cut backs. The planning sys**tem in Rainbow Six: Raven Shield is absolutely facking huge, the amount of time I have spent doing flawless plans, using tes**t mission and then the automatic video play-back is jus**t ridiculous. The maps are a hell of a lot bigger, a sh*t load more weapons all with more options and the ability to attach/detach scope and put a silencer on all guns etc etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.