GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Notebooks"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/05/05 at 20:07
Regular
"hit the road jack"
My PC's reaching its 4th birthday rather soon and im reaching my 18th so I thought id treat myself to a laptop.

Been searching on the web + in a few shops around my area.
A couple that caught my eye were..

HP Pavilion 3000+

-AMD Sempron 3000+ Mobile processor
-512MB DDR RAM
-ATi Radeon IGP 128MB graphics
-DVD-RW
-40GB hard drive
-Wi-Fi wireless

£599

OR...

Tiny Powerlite CM3400 PRO

Pretty much the same but with..

-Intel Celeron M processor 340
-128MB Ati Mobility Radeon 9700 Pro (M11) Graphics

at £799

My budget is £800.
Are Sempron processors any good? and how much difference are there between the two Radeon graphics cards?
Im no expert but I know the basics so any opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thu 26/05/05 at 01:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
JC941* wrote:
> Supoib. this is the only place that sells it then?
>
> [URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_237922.html[/URL]

Nope, just google for 1682WLMi you'll find its available from many online retailers cheaper.

I'll second Acer laptops too. Always been pleased with mine, not as nice as some of the other laptops I've had but then those laptops were much more expensive.
Acer tech support doesn't have a very good reputation though.
Wed 25/05/05 at 23:12
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Tyla wrote:

>
> Indeed, with a probably drop in price too.

Supoib. this is the only place that sells it then?

[URL]http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/320_237922.html[/URL]
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:58
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
JC941* wrote:
> I see, cheers for that. I guess they will be selling it in mid June
> still.

Indeed, with a probably drop in price too. I've had the pleasure of playing with one of those ACER's for a couple of weeks now, and very impressed. Runs all the games I usually play such as Guild Wars, CS:S and DC_Final, pleanty of connection options, good batery life and an awesome wide screen.
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:41
Regular
"hit the road jack"
I see, cheers for that. I guess they will be selling it in mid June still.
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:34
Regular
"bot"
also, the 3.2 is most likely a desktop CPU thrown into a notebook = crap battery life and lots of speed-throttling.
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:33
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Ok perhaps I should go for it then. lol.

ANY OBJECTIONS?!
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:21
Regular
"bot"
it will be plenty fast, because it's an M.
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:18
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Although that ACER you you pointed out looks rather nice.

1.6 ghz though. how much of a difference will that make compared so say 3.2?
Wed 25/05/05 at 22:12
Regular
"hit the road jack"
Well im very confused.

People saying avoid Dell and other saying Dell are very good.
The Advent one has been recommended now im being told to avoid.

Although I do like opinions, past experiences and I do appreciate them all.. im so stuck.

Someone give me a laptop with 512mb RAM, a nice Pentium processor, the graphics either Radeon or GeForce, im not too worried about hard disk space
Wed 25/05/05 at 21:56
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
JC941* wrote:
> gerrid wrote:
> My advice is to go for a Pentium M (Centrino, not Celeron)
>
>
> Someone linked me to an ADVENT 7074 which seemed to have very good
> specs but its got a Pentium 4.

Again, wouldn't touch Advent. For starters that GFX is aincient, you can get lappy's with similar specs with 9600/9700's in for the same price (see previous post - ACER). Advent are also PC World's (Dixons Group) own brand and made with cheap, substandard parts with little or no support after buying one. (Made the mistake of buying an advent a coupel of years back... never again).

Stick with well known brands for lappy's (not including DELL) and shop around till your happy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.