GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Security Software."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/05/05 at 17:26
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Could I just ask for your recommendations / ratings on anti-virus / firewall, (etc) software packages which you currently use?

At the moment, I've got Norton Internet Security 2003, but am intending to get some newer software as the subscription expires at the end of the month.

I was just going to get the 2005 edition, but wanted to see what the more experienced among this forum use - if you wouldn't mind sparing a minute or two?
Mon 23/05/05 at 18:38
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Nimco wrote:
> Miserableman wrote:
> Sometimes ad-aware will pick up bits of spyware in spybot's
> quarantine folder (or vice-versa, can't remember which program picks
> on which).
>
> Fair enough - I never use quarantine, I just delete the li'l beggars!

I think it's the record it keeps even after it deletes the spyware, or something. I'm not sure of the particulars, I just remember that it can sometimes happen.
Mon 23/05/05 at 17:12
Regular
"NULL"
Miserableman wrote:
> Sometimes ad-aware will pick up bits of spyware in spybot's
> quarantine folder (or vice-versa, can't remember which program picks
> on which).

Fair enough - I never use quarantine, I just delete the li'l beggars!
Mon 23/05/05 at 13:05
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Nimco wrote:
> Anti-spyware programs won't (shouldn't) conflict though.

Sometimes ad-aware will pick up bits of spyware in spybot's quarantine folder (or vice-versa, can't remember which program picks on which).
Mon 23/05/05 at 13:01
Regular
"bing bang bong"
All you really need is a hardware firewall (a router will do) and a knowledge of how to conduct yourself securely on the internet. Anti-virus software is less than worthless, and a software firewall is inadequate protection (although markedly better than nothing). Keeping spyware programs to hand is a good idea, although if you keep getting spyware on your machine then there's something wrong with the way you are browsing the web.

Also, Windows Update is your best friend.
Mon 23/05/05 at 09:17
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Do you keep your Windows Updates up straight? Otherwise malicious
> code could still run if you're unlucky...

Generally, yes, although I am finding myself relying on the auto-update to download them and ask me to install, although I find that when each security package is released (every second Tuesday I believe) that it takes my PC two or three days to start downloading.

Cheers for the info Nimco, I'll have to go through all the options and make sure just one is running in Heuristic scanning.
Sun 22/05/05 at 15:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> > And just out of interest Tyla, what made you switch from NIS?

Got a freebie of Sophos from my friend there, and Black Ice is just so much better
Sun 22/05/05 at 15:24
"Are you sure?"
cjh wrote:
> I've got everything on your list Nimco (minus Windows Firewall
> enabled), as well as NIS 2003, yet still got stung somehow.

Do you keep your Windows Updates up straight ? Otherwise malicious code could still run if you're unlucky...

As MS quote everywhere on their security pages you need 3 things to stay safe:

Firewall - Windows Updates - Anti-Virus

Obviously if you (or someone else using your PC) gets tricked in to clicking YES for anything then you can still get 'stung'.
Sun 22/05/05 at 15:17
Regular
"NULL"
Some AV packages will attack each other if they've got the Heuristic scanning turned on cos they're designed to look for programs scanning files - which obviously each program is doing.

Similarly with firewalls, they each detect a firewall trying to control access.

Anti-spyware programs won't (shouldn't) conflict though.
Sun 22/05/05 at 12:37
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I've got everything on your list Nimco (minus Windows Firewall enabled), as well as NIS 2003, yet still got stung somehow. Is there any truth that multiple apps (NIS 2003 vs. the rest) conflict with one another, meaning protection is compromised (I also managed to get that PrevX software that Tyla recommended working too)?

And just out of interest Tyla, what made you switch from NIS?
Sun 15/05/05 at 21:03
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Allred wrote:
> Tyla wrote:
>
> Sophos
>
> We have a running joke at college in computing that Sophos's update
> client was written it Visual Basic and just displays some random file
> names instead of actually doing anything.

I could ask them for you if you want. Friend of mine is one of their software testers there and their UK office is only just down the road from me!;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.