GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can you protect your uploaded files?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/05/05 at 19:52
"Was the man of marz"
You know when you upload say audio to your web space. Anyone can download them if they type in yourdomain.com/file.mp3. Is there a way of stopping this? I've only know of one way to web protect a file and that was a feature of a single host.

Any help would be great :)
Wed 01/06/05 at 12:25
"Was the man of marz"
Kind of off subject but still round abouts, is the 500 internal server error the result of when the server goes down? Is is then worth makin an error document for it?
Mon 23/05/05 at 14:44
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Marzman wrote:
> I've found out you can protect files on a web page by using
> javascript. I'm a lot more happy with this (rather than .htaccess)
> but I was just wondering if the users browser does not support
> javascript would the protection e useless?

Well it'll depend upon your javascript of course and what its doing but generally yes, if you're relying on javascript to do something and the user has it turned off then you've no longer got that functionality.

Btw, just had a read of your previous posts, htaccess is still the best way to cope with this (if your host supports it). The general thing you're looking to prevent is called hotlinking. The most common use is to stop people linking to images (from outside of the site) but you could equally use it for what you're doing. If you google for "hotlinking htaccess" you'll find lots of nice solutions, nothing to do with user logins or anything.
Mon 23/05/05 at 13:39
"Was the man of marz"
I've found out you can protect files on a web page by using javascript. I'm a lot more happy with this (rather than .htaccess) but I was just wondering if the users browser does not support javascript would the protection e useless?
Mon 16/05/05 at 11:49
"Was the man of marz"
Does anyone know how .htaccess effects wap? Ie: Does .htaccess just protect files from the URL way (domain.com/file).
Sat 14/05/05 at 20:15
"Was the man of marz"
Using .htaccess sounds good but I don't think it's right for this case. I want to stop people from being able to download my files by domain.com/file but still allow access via wap where a wml file could link to afile and still grant a download.

Am I making sense :I?
I just want people not to be able download the wml file, find out the name of the file it's linked to and then use that name to download the content. That's why I doubt a login feature using .htaccess will be of much use.

Any ideas
Sat 14/05/05 at 09:19
"Are you sure?"
phi11ip wrote:
> ...Also if it's Freeola then .htaccess won't work either,
> it'll just break your webspace.

We've been there before: [URL]http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/display_messages.php?threadid=122398&forumid=206[/URL]
Fri 13/05/05 at 23:38
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Marzman wrote:
> Darn, they don't. Any other way?
>
> Isn't .htaccess universal? I'm sure that would protect them.

If it's Windows then it won't work, security with Windows is horrible. Also if it's Freeola then .htaccess won't work either, it'll just break your webspace.
Fri 13/05/05 at 23:30
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Slightly off topic, but can I protect files I write onto a CD?
Fri 13/05/05 at 22:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Marzman wrote:
> Darn, they don't. Any other way?

Isn't .htaccess universal? I'm sure that would protect them.
Fri 13/05/05 at 22:13
Regular
"NULL"
What server are they running?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.