GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hitchhiker's Guide"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/04/05 at 21:22
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Doesn't it look good? The book is great, so I'm definately up for the film, as even the author wanted it done. I'm off to see it on Sunday.
Fri 06/05/05 at 16:06
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Saw. Disliked slightly, as a homage to the book/radio, liked as a film.
Thu 05/05/05 at 15:05
Regular
"Vodka Queen"
Saw the movie while in LA. Okish movie but not a great movie. Not worth seeing
Thu 05/05/05 at 14:32
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Compared to the po-faced ultra serious tone of Star Wars and such, it was positively brimming with humour. I particularly liked the sighing doors.

Ahhhhh.
Thu 05/05/05 at 13:28
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Watched it last night and...really enjoyed it. Okay, so it's not slavishly faithful to the series. But the series was a less good version of a book that was a less good version of a radio show. And Adams himself didn't have the faintest idea where the story was going from episode 4 of the Radio series onwards. So any changes that were made for the sake of the film...well, it's not exactly Dylan going electric, is it?

What it does do is preserve the very best thing about HHGTTG; the witty, silly throwaway stuff. The "Ford...I think I'm a sofa" line had me on the floor, as did the crab-thing "woo-hoo!! wee-hee!!"-ing it's way along the Vogon planet.

If, like me, you found the last HHGTTG book to be one of the most profoundly depressing reads of all time, the silliness of the film provided a welcome tonic.
Tue 03/05/05 at 18:58
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
No, but the TV series is.
Tue 03/05/05 at 11:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It's all based on stuff Adams wanted to add in, so anybody who moans about extra stuff, or most of it, is a bit silly really.

I haven't seen it, but I actually read the book last week.

It's alright, funny etc, but not the best thing evahhh!
Mon 02/05/05 at 13:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
Alot of films based on books or other media often have bits missing but it's normally the best way for film put across a story. Most of the time films would need to be a good 5-6 hours to get most of a story across.

Hitchhikers was a hard one anyway just from all the times it would have to cut to the guide explaining something.

I think it only was a bit of a let down for me because of how recently i read the book and heard the radio drama so picking up on bits was alot easier. I kinda wish i had seen the film then read the book and listerned to the radio version but then i wasn't bothered bout it at all till i heard the radio dramas.
Mon 02/05/05 at 13:12
Regular
I'm avoiding this film like the plague. I loved the book and this film may just ruin it all for me.
Mon 02/05/05 at 13:07
Regular
"thursdayton!"
gamesfreak wrote:
> From what I have heard, they used a script that Douglas wrote before
> he died, so it's kind of what Douglas viewed what the screen-version
> of the book would be like - meaning quite a lot would of been cut
> out.

And there are differences even between the stuff written when he was alive, like between the books and radio version. Never mind the whining critics, I'm going to see it this weekend, looks great.
Mon 02/05/05 at 11:10
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> I've seen mostly 3-star reviews.
> Saying that if you're a die-hard fan, you'll probably hate it, but if
> you loosen up a bit and basically forget everything else, it's quite
> enjoyable.

Yeah...

I think a lot of people were dissapointed because it wasn't 'faithful to the text' or were just going into the film LOOKING for faults.

From what I have heard, they used a script that Douglas wrote before he died, so it's kind of what Douglas viewed what the screen-version of the book would be like - meaning quite a lot would of been cut out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.