GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gah! I'm not happy"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/04/05 at 21:01
Regular
OK, so my Pipex connection was live from today. I get home, build my new PC (with same HDD, so everything is as it was) and try to connect to World of Warcraft.

Every time I do so, the connection drops. It's bloody infuriating. It's even doing it at random while I'm simply browsing :(

Any ideas how to remedy the problem? thanks.
Wed 27/04/05 at 11:42
Regular
"Touched!"
Did you go for an XP 3000 or Athlon 64? To be honest I would think that would last at least into next year.
Wed 27/04/05 at 11:00
Regular
Triple post :D

I'm still on for another upgrade at the end of the year though.

The Athlon XP 3000 was just to get me started, I'll probably be matching your CPU, unless prices drop significantly and an FX-53/55 is within reach
Wed 27/04/05 at 10:58
Regular
Also just waiting for my new DVDRW, which is in black to match the case :D

Once that's here, I can complete the Shuttle rebuild too
Wed 27/04/05 at 10:57
Regular
Whoa, give me chance!

The setup was easy as usual, had an embarrasing moment where I inserted and screwed in the HDD backwards, only noticing what I had done when I went to connect it!

I'll try and grab some 3DMark scores tomorrow, although I think I need to clean my HD up first - there's a lot of junk and unnecessary processes I can get rid of. Upon initial tests, the graphics are abso-bloody-lutely amazing :D

Aside from the Broadband problem, everything is peachy.
Wed 27/04/05 at 10:47
Regular
"Touched!"
Hows the comp mate? I've just started ordering some of my bits for my new Spec! OCUK don't have the CPU I want in until monday. Final Specs will be:

AMD Athlon 64 3700 San Diego core 1mb cache socket 939
DFI-Lanboy NF4 Ultra-D Motherboard (on it's way today!) Socket 939/PCI-E
Enermax 485w ATX 2.0 PSU (Also on it's way)
ATI Radeon X850 XT PE PCI-E.

Managed to flog all of my old bits to a mate for £170 which aint bad! That'll be going towards my CPU on monday :)

Looking forward to it. How does that PE perform? I wanna see some 3D Mark 03/05 benches bullet!
Wed 27/04/05 at 09:41
Regular
I'm not at home right now, but the downstream was something like 1xxx and upstream was 288.

From that, I'd assume they have me set up at 1Mb.
Wed 27/04/05 at 09:23
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Pipex are connecting people at 2meg then throttling their speeds back to 1meg which is probably what they are doing for you.

What speed does your router/modem say you are connected at?

If it's 2meg chances are you'll need to contact Pipex and tell them that the connection is unstable at that speed and they'll have to get BT to connect you at 1meg at the exchange instead.
Wed 27/04/05 at 06:30
Regular
Well, that site says I can have up to 2Mb, and even though our Exchange is LLU-based, apparently I can't get 2Mb (I applied for that first off and it was declined).

I'm on a 1Mb service, which should at least drop to 512Kb if it's struggling, not disconnect every 5 minutes. I'm closer to the Exchange than my Parent's house - in fact, the line that goes to my house, also carries on through the neighbourhood up to my Parent's house.

One possible cause is that I'm using a telephone extension cable with adapters and microfilters in place, converting it to be compatible. This is prettydaft but it's my only option at the moment.

I have a wireless bridge at my Parent's house. I'll take that back, plug the modem directly into the socket microfilter and just try my luck with the Bridge, that way I can determine if it's the connection or my super-cowboy extension cable.

And I was really looking forward to WoW too :(
Tue 26/04/05 at 21:39
Regular
"Acid Casual"
What package did you opt for?

If it's a 2meg one it could be that your line is struggling becuase of noise/distance.

Do you know your line stats (should be available on your routerif you have one)?

Whats does [URL]http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php[/URL] say when you enter your number and postcode?

Other things to check is that you have microfilters attached to every phone line.
Tue 26/04/05 at 21:01
Regular
OK, so my Pipex connection was live from today. I get home, build my new PC (with same HDD, so everything is as it was) and try to connect to World of Warcraft.

Every time I do so, the connection drops. It's bloody infuriating. It's even doing it at random while I'm simply browsing :(

Any ideas how to remedy the problem? thanks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.