GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Saying What You Want To (Men Buying Cards)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/04/05 at 17:58
Regular
This topic contains censored swear words, please don't edit it staffies.

I don't buy cards. The exceptions I make are only for stupidity, such as buying "Sorry your nan died" as a birthday card. I fought a moral battle over that, humour won, I bought the card and gave it. I gave another girl a "I hear it's a boy, congratulations!" for christmas. I get strange looks, a rumour even started spreading, but it's still great fun.

But I'm finally getting around to doing research about this, and something occured to me.

Do men not buy cards because they're just painful, pointlessly over the top and unfunny, or is it because they don't want to express themselves, even if it IS for humour?

Want some serious answers here, genuinely trying to figure it out. Would you be more inclined to buy a "You f**king ass" birthday-hate-card?

The way I figure it is, people wouldn't just buy "I hate you" cards for the hell of it, maybe as a kinda friendly bored quick laugh thing, but I think the direction for it would be to look at excuses for doing so: I.E. taking birthdays, instead of sending a "happy birthday hope you're well" sending a "I'm going to feed you your spleen" card - encouraging it as part of society, instead of the cheap quick laugh route.

Even if was a valentines card just saying "Yeah, you're ok I guess" instead of this smushy crap. If you love someone that much, you don't want to get down on one knee, sing a ballad and bring them roses - you want to f**k them. Club them on the head and bring them back to your cave. Isn't that what love is all about? Hell, if you don't have to club them, even better.

Now I'm sure men don't sit around never wanting to say -anything-, well I don't. It just seems like a massive problem of communication. We're offered easy routes to say things, but all these things never ever say what we -really- want to say. Even the best efforts are filtered down, watery and uncomfortable.

So actually, as a question, I'd like to ask what you'd like to tell people. What do you really want to say to the girl you've got a crush on? And seriously, not "um.. wanna go out..?", I want to know what you want to do to her.

What would you like to say to your parents, your wife, your workmates?

I've had a bit of an vision about all this, I've been surrounded by too many people who never say what they want to, talk behind people's backs. If you haven't got the entire set of balls to say something to someone's face, I think it'd be great to have another option, even if it's just a start. If it encourages people at all to start saying what the hell they want to, bring out confidence in people, then I'm all for it.

(I'd like to tell Grix to shut up lol)
Sun 24/04/05 at 17:58
Regular
This topic contains censored swear words, please don't edit it staffies.

I don't buy cards. The exceptions I make are only for stupidity, such as buying "Sorry your nan died" as a birthday card. I fought a moral battle over that, humour won, I bought the card and gave it. I gave another girl a "I hear it's a boy, congratulations!" for christmas. I get strange looks, a rumour even started spreading, but it's still great fun.

But I'm finally getting around to doing research about this, and something occured to me.

Do men not buy cards because they're just painful, pointlessly over the top and unfunny, or is it because they don't want to express themselves, even if it IS for humour?

Want some serious answers here, genuinely trying to figure it out. Would you be more inclined to buy a "You f**king ass" birthday-hate-card?

The way I figure it is, people wouldn't just buy "I hate you" cards for the hell of it, maybe as a kinda friendly bored quick laugh thing, but I think the direction for it would be to look at excuses for doing so: I.E. taking birthdays, instead of sending a "happy birthday hope you're well" sending a "I'm going to feed you your spleen" card - encouraging it as part of society, instead of the cheap quick laugh route.

Even if was a valentines card just saying "Yeah, you're ok I guess" instead of this smushy crap. If you love someone that much, you don't want to get down on one knee, sing a ballad and bring them roses - you want to f**k them. Club them on the head and bring them back to your cave. Isn't that what love is all about? Hell, if you don't have to club them, even better.

Now I'm sure men don't sit around never wanting to say -anything-, well I don't. It just seems like a massive problem of communication. We're offered easy routes to say things, but all these things never ever say what we -really- want to say. Even the best efforts are filtered down, watery and uncomfortable.

So actually, as a question, I'd like to ask what you'd like to tell people. What do you really want to say to the girl you've got a crush on? And seriously, not "um.. wanna go out..?", I want to know what you want to do to her.

What would you like to say to your parents, your wife, your workmates?

I've had a bit of an vision about all this, I've been surrounded by too many people who never say what they want to, talk behind people's backs. If you haven't got the entire set of balls to say something to someone's face, I think it'd be great to have another option, even if it's just a start. If it encourages people at all to start saying what the hell they want to, bring out confidence in people, then I'm all for it.

(I'd like to tell Grix to shut up lol)
Sun 24/04/05 at 18:22
Regular
"8==="
A rejection one for women to send:

"You're so stupid you couldn't even find Mike Hunt if you tried. Go away."
Sun 24/04/05 at 18:45
Regular
A return of the Fantastic Tortoise? :-)

Personally, I think that this is a fantastic idea, simply because I've not seen any cards like it. Although perhaps it's because you'd only find them in joke shops because mainstream stores don't accept them.

Either way, normal cards stop meaning things because they're so cliché... just what people say regardless of whether they mean it or not. I think that's the definition of bull****.

I would love to use one of those "You're okay,I guess..." for a Valentines. :-)
Mon 25/04/05 at 00:31
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I don't have enough friends to b i t c h about anyone.
Mon 25/04/05 at 00:41
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Strange, I always thought Grix wrote the poems inside cards...
Mon 25/04/05 at 00:51
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ok i'm not one for having a problem expressing myself but i think cards are almost without any merit. Don't buy them, and any i get mean next to nothing to me so it's not an issue about expression. I just object to people wasting money on them and especially making me feel guilty for not doing the same.
I'm sure there was something else you asked, i've forgotten, i'm going to post this read and edit the rest in.
Mon 25/04/05 at 08:05
Regular
Hmm, I don't bother with cards unless I have to. Just because they seem like a pretty hollow gesture.
I guess if they came a little closer to your real feelings, and didn't feel so generic and feeble, I might.

I'd love to send an 'I think you're alright' valentines card.

Saying what you want to people.. I don't know, I think there has to be a difference between saying what you're feeling and saying what you'd 'like' to say to someone. Honesty isn't always the best policy if you need to keep a civilised relationship or have a tendency to over-react.
Mon 25/04/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Laughingstock"
"Last night I shagged a horse, but I needed to visualize you in order to climax"

a missing you card

- ?
Mon 25/04/05 at 21:40
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
I'd buy it.
Mon 25/04/05 at 23:04
Regular
"A Paladin with a PH"
Anniversary: Well, you're not getting any younger, dearest.
Birthday: Why should I give a? Now, turn on the DVD and pass the bombay mix.
Valentine: I look at your ass. Often.
Bereavement (sp?): I'm very sorry that I have to be sorry.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.