GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why oh why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/05/01 at 19:11
Regular
...do we love games so much?
I know this has most probably been done before, but I don’t remember it, so I am posting it again :-)

The reason I love games so much is because I am entering a new world. Take any RPG for example. You are taken away from boring old Earth and into a different planet altogether, where you can meet all sorts of human beings and animals. Also, you get a chance to do things that you wouldn’t be able to do in real life. Like… fight monsters, fly, kill people and so on. If I am having troubles at home, when I play games I seem to forget them, and I have a magical feeling when I am on a fantasy-like island.

There are other reasons why I play games, but that is my best reason.

There are the obvious reasons why people play games… fun, stress reliever, to be happy, to get scared and just to pass by time.

So, I ask you, what is your best reason as to which you just love games?

(-)_(-)
Mon 28/05/01 at 20:15
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I love games because they are a challenge. Besides the entertainment they bring of course. I tend to play them to death because most games I buy have a good story to them and as you progress, more of the story is revealed to you which gives you a lot of incentive to carry on playing.

Even on the oldest consoles, I would play them for hours so I could finally see the ending. I'm still the same now, I play games for hours spured on more and more by the progress I'm making which is why I end up completing games so fast ;-))

I used to play Streetfighter 2 everyday for ages too cause I wanted to be better than everyone else on it and I was never beaten. Now it'd probably be different but back then I played it to the point where I knew exactly how much time I had to attack someone when they missed me with a move or made a mistake. I knew that game inside out !

Gone off streetfighter a lot now though, its so old and done to death. I'm not saying games become poo as they age, but when you get sequel after sequel and the changes are very small each time, it really ended up putting me off.

I started to feel a little conned forking out £40 for a game I already had with the exception of one of the new characters having a new fireball ;-))

Besides endings, games also reward players often with extras and new characters that can be earned through playing the game. This of course gives players even more incentive to play more. Games like Tekken are great, but the fact you can double the amount of available characters by playing makes it even greater.
Mon 28/05/01 at 19:40
Regular
"everyone says it"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> "I heard it from a friend."

Or, an observer. :0)

**arrgghh, secret is out... runs to revise**

Be back on later guys!
Mon 28/05/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Super Gohan wrote:

Yep, after a hard days work, there is nothing better than sitting in front of the TV playing my PS2 for a couple of hours.

I think Meka means playing games....:D Not fiddling with fancy radiators with crappy DVD facilities!

(Just Kidding - Console Banter - Think Nothing Of It)

Game
Mon 28/05/01 at 19:21
"possibly impossible"
Playing games is escapism, pure and simple. But it also tests your reflexes and is fun when you can organise a good competition against your mates.

There have been real-life type situations creeping into games, however, like in Shenmue, but these always have some form of exciting storyline that none of us would ever live through in the real world. A simulation of our own lives would be boring, as we were living them already.
Mon 28/05/01 at 18:52
Regular
"Excommunicated"
i pla games coz they r realy coool they r realy coool for playin when u shod b doin englash gramer home work!
Mon 28/05/01 at 18:42
Meka_Dragon wrote:
> Why do I play games?

Escapism, and relaxation.

After a long
> day at work, or if the children have been playing up a little, half
> an hour on the N64 puts me in a much better frame of mind.

Also,
> look at the TV listings.

A bunch of crap.

Playing games beats
> that hands down, and is actually better for you.

Yep, after a hard days work, there is nothing better than sitting in front of the TV playing my PS2 for a couple of hours.
Mon 28/05/01 at 18:39
Tell us more oh Holy dragon... (:)
Mon 28/05/01 at 18:37
Regular
"not dead"
Why do I play games?

Escapism, and relaxation.

After a long day at work, or if the children have been playing up a little, half an hour on the N64 puts me in a much better frame of mind.

Also, look at the TV listings.

A bunch of crap.

Playing games beats that hands down, and is actually better for you.
Sun 27/05/01 at 20:45
Regular
"I heard it from a friend."

Or, an observer. :0)
Sun 27/05/01 at 20:42
Regular
"everyone says it"
M16 wrote:
> I will have to try that some day, er-no! :D

Believe me when I say that you look like a pratt...not... that ...umm.. I heard it from a friend. Yeah thats right!

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.