GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Celebrity Wrestling"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/04/05 at 19:35
Regular
": ("
Anybody watching it? I thinks it's really good.
Wed 27/04/05 at 17:35
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Goatboy wrote:
> But more importantly, it's really really silly.

and therein lies the fun sir :)
Wed 27/04/05 at 11:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think the point is that nobody is denying the athleticism and skill of the wrestlers involved.
The mocking laughter comes from "storylines" that are created.
Anything that runs on a regular basis and has storylines with characters is...anybody?...fictional entertainment.
2 blokes fighting each other naked as god intended is one thing. 2 muscle men in spandex with choreographed routines, a predetermined outcome and acting is quite another.

Nobody is seriously suggesting you like to do mansex because you enjoy watching wrestling.
But people are saying it's nothing more than a soap opera with sweating men laying on each other.
It is homoerotic, it's unavoidable.
But more importantly, it's really really silly.
Wed 27/04/05 at 11:03
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> I'm saying WWf / whatever is all about putting on a show for
> the crowd with ongoing storylines, with mostly scripted, coreographed
> "fights".
>
> A Soap Opera in Spandex.
>
> Even this lad who does it on Sundays admits this simple fact......

and right he is too, that's exactly what it is.

i just feel people don't quite understand how much skill it takes to do properly though.
the old arguement of "boxers don't pretend" is pretty worthless though. no, boxers don't pull punches, but nor do they do half the ludicrously dangerous moves you find in pro wreslting. it could be argued that they don't need to consider the safety of their opponent and their repotoire consists of head shots, body shot, duck. any sport can be made to sound crap if you don't like it.
Wed 27/04/05 at 10:57
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> In fact one of the 'story lines' I saw was when some wrestler pushed
> another big one over, and he fell on his pregnant wife and killed her
> baby. Not only was the acting so terribly funny, but just the thought
> of that, as if they were really trying to do it seriously (which I
> just cannot believe).. it's brilliant.

yeah, that was a shocker alright. anything involving lita is guaranteed to be acted hideously. they've done some absolutely awful stories for sure, but to be fair, there's only so many reasons 2 guys can want to beat each other up. However, crappy stories doesn't make the actual wrestling any less impressive, one look at any Ring of Honour match proves that, but i can see how the theatrics can be off putting for people and make it more difficult to see why people can enjoy it so much.
>
> And yeah, they're very physically fit and some of the moves you see
> are quite incredible,

burchill. the C4. end of story.

the moves obviously take 2 people to make look good, and the blows are pulled to a degree, but again, it depends on the workers. i've worked with some guys that barely graze the air a foot infront of your head and expect you to sell, and some guys that have decided that to make it look real, they're just going to punch you in the face (i prefer this method, it's easier to sell)
people who throw up the "it's all SOOOOOOOOO fake and they're all pansies" should give it a try, but then again, where's the fun in doing something interesting with life when yo can sit round moaning and complaining about stuff you know nothing about eh?

> but it's still a prescripted pantomine of oily
> men playing to the crowd, no matter how strong they are.

not all pre-scripted at all, it depends how they want to work. i worked a totally scripted maych and knocked a guy out through bad memory on both our parts, sometimes it's easier to remember key points (who's putting who over, etc) and just wing the rest of the match. As for playing to the crowd... it'd be fairly dull and bad for sales if they didn't wouldn't it?
it's all business. fans can make or break a match and if they feel they're not onvolved, they'll show it.
Wed 27/04/05 at 10:30
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I didn't watch Celebrity Wrestling because it looked crap, but there's one thing that would make me watch it...if they got the Ultimate Warrior to present it. He ruled.
Wed 27/04/05 at 07:20
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Cong_Man wrote:
> I hate the WWE, but a lotof you are making the mistake of judging
> wrestling solely by what you see in the WWE. That's like saying
> "Football is Rubbish because Chelsi suck".
>
> There are other companies out there offering a much better product
> than the WWE. It's not the be-all and end-all by a long way.

And my original post was, and I quote: -

"So all those moves aren't actually pulled at all in WWF? None of it's coriographed?"

Before you got upset.

Cong_Man wrote:
> I liken it to a public schoolboy raised on 'rugger' and 'cricket'
> saying that football is a 'game for poofs, because there's no
> physical contact'. I don't stick my nose into things which seem
> ridiculous to me by giving my opinion on something I don't know
> enough about. I wouldm ask you to show the same respect.

And that is utter rubbish. I'm not attacking your sexuality at all mate, I'm saying WWf / whatever is all about putting on a show for the crowd with ongoing storylines, with mostly scripted, coreographed "fights".

A Soap Opera in Spandex.

Even this lad who does it on Sundays admits this simple fact......
Wed 27/04/05 at 06:41
Regular
"..."
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Grix Thraves wrote:
>
> another big one over, and he fell on his pregnant wife and killed
> her
> baby
>
> That's a joke....right?
>
> Wrestling really has gone to new levels of hilarity if that's true.

Unfortunately it is true and shows the sad state of rubbish TV that the WWE has grown to feed us.

I hate the WWE, but a lotof you are making the mistake of judging wrestling solely by what you see in the WWE. That's like saying "Football is Rubbish because Chelsi suck".

There are other companies out there offering a much better product than the WWE. It's not the be-all and end-all by a long way.
Tue 26/04/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Sal Paradise"
I too have respect for wrestlers, they obviously work very hard etc, and have a busy lifestyle.

My brother watches it and likes it, getting involved etc. I find if I seriously try and watch it, it's too over the top and handbags for its own good when it comes to the acting parts and makes you cringe. But if you watch it as a laugh it's rather amusing...in moderation anyway.

Celebrity Wrestling is awful, as I'm sure everyone will agree. It almost seems to mock the WWE, but I think it's trying to sort of replicate it and has messed up badly.
Tue 26/04/05 at 23:37
Regular
Cong_Man wrote:

> I'm far from upset, would be nice for someone criticising the 'sport'
> to actually have an understanding of it for once though...

What's there to understand about a bunch of oiled up men in spandex having a play fight?

"But it takes great athletecism and talent"

That's great, still doesn't mean I want to watch a muscle man running around in his pants all day.
Tue 26/04/05 at 23:33
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:

> another big one over, and he fell on his pregnant wife and killed her
> baby

That's a joke....right?

Wrestling really has gone to new levels of hilarity if that's true.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.