GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are chiped ps1's any use or just unfair?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 27/05/01 at 15:06
Regular
I personally think that a chiped playstation is Xtremly unfair to most of us. I say this because I have had my playstation for over 4 years and I wouldn't want it to blow!
You have probably come across someone with a chiped ps1, as you might not have your own chiped. Well I don't have mine chiped and I still hear of others rhyming on that they have got the likes of a new game on the release date for only a lousy fiver. It would probably take myself a good while if I was to save up for a brand new game which would actually work.
So if you were to get your ps1 chiped, I recomend you all not to, for a start it doesn't take much for the ps1 to be destroyed after chiped, and besides most chiped games don't work. I find this totally unfair that others get so many games for so cheap and you're definately not allowed 1 cause its illegal as well.
So the best thing to do is to always buy proper games from the likes of SR as they are so cheap and that they are very reasonable!

What do all think bout chiped ps1's and games?
Thu 07/06/01 at 13:00
Regular
You are wrong, if you go to gametek in dundee, for the past 4 months they have been able to chip your PS2, to play imports backups (of PS2 and PSOne games), play any dvd region and play in colour through a RGB Scart cable.

The games are available to download off the net in ISO format, only the DVD games are so far unscathed by piracy.
Thu 07/06/01 at 12:56
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
The PS2 is chippable, but as of yet only allows you to play copies for the PS1, for the simple reason that nobody has found a way of copying games for the PS2.
Tue 05/06/01 at 23:33
I personally don't have my playstation chipped but i certainly don't think it's immoral - and i bet those of you who were damning chipping are only too quick to tape a good album from your mates aren't you? (rhetorical question... for inner reflection :o)
Wed 30/05/01 at 21:26
Regular
I'm afraid psx2's are very chippable, a ten pound chip in cinjunction with an action replay disc can get around the copy protection. There are even developments to use the usb ports to apply a chipping solution.
Tue 29/05/01 at 22:36
Does anyone hear have a multitap
Tue 29/05/01 at 22:36
Regular
How come, for £15, Gametek in Dundee can chip my PS2 to be region free, play in colour through an RGB scart cable and play copied games?? They also give you a 6 month warranty on your PS2!!

saesee wrote:
> PS2 is chip-proof.
Tue 29/05/01 at 22:31
who has tekken3 or smackdown2
Tue 29/05/01 at 17:46
PS2 is chip-proof.
Mon 28/05/01 at 10:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I had already had my PS1 for 2-3 years or so when I had it chipped. I have had no problems. I also knew a person who was reliable so even if the game didnt work I could take it back get a different game or my money back. I never thought that I would get it chipped as I was going to get one of those cheat cartridges that fit on the back and let you disc swap. In the end I just got it chipped. I did actually want to get a Jap PS1 as I could have got one for about £50 or something like that. I have had copied games for the DC as you only need a boot disc to run them. Again the person who did them was reliable as a few of the DC games wouldnt run, but I got my money back for them so I didnt lose out. The person doesnt do it anymore so I dont get any copied games. I would get PS1 and copied DC games still but cant. I dont buy PS1 games as they are going out of date. The only one I bought recently was Final Fantasy 9. With the DC I would like Sonic 2 and Crazy Taxi 2, I might even get Daytona USA. I dont want my PS2 chipped as the consoles are getting smarter and smarter. DVDs are going to be hard to copy e.t.c. So with the PS2 I wont get any illegal stuff for it. I dont know why people wouldnt get a PS2 just becuase they have a chipped PS1. I have kept my PS1 as it works perfectly, I never play on it anymore. I bought my PS2 for PS2 games, if I want to play a PS1 game I use my PS1 usually as my memory cards dont seem to work well on my PS2. If I wanted a quick go on a proper PS1 game then I would use the PS2. Hopefully the game industry will get rid of piracy all together in the future.
Sun 27/05/01 at 21:42
The problem with chipping playstations is it voids the warranty, and the chip is soldered on and is a very delicate process, and if this goes wrong, then so does your playstation (I am not sure if it is fixable).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.