GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mikami ditches the Resident Evil project"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Resident Evil 4'.
Wed 10/11/04 at 22:43
Regular
The Capcom guru has left the Resident Evil project in protest for the recent PS2 announcement.

Mikami claims he'll have "nothing to do" with the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4. And it looks likely this maybe the finale in the series.

Since new management has taken hold at Capcom the developers have lost their voice. The developers are keen to support the Gamecube exclusively but new management has pressured the developers to porting the popular Gamecube titles such as Viewtiful Joe and the upcoming Killer 7 to the PS2.

Resident Evil 4 looks to be the final straw meanwhile as many of the Production Studio 4 design team are set to leave.

That, my friends, is dedication to a cause.
Thu 11/11/04 at 14:23
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Well if your not the head of a company, then you do as your told! Your opinions etc can be taken on board, but if it's not your company, and someone your working for then you do what the boss tells ya to do!

Take for example you have a company, a division creates some exciting product that would sell millions all over the world (Pokemon cards or something), but the main guy in the devision that came up with the idea goes, I only want to release them in Outer-Mongolia. Are you going to go, "Alright then chap, sounds like a great idea" Or are you going to say, "MUPPET! No, sell it globally and we'll make 1,000,000,000$$ more!"

??

:)
Thu 11/11/04 at 13:18
Regular
Cooky wrote:

>
> So I think this guy should stop complaining, make his great Cube
> version, and then let someone else be incharge of having it ported to
> the PS2 if he doesn't want to!

This is the guy that was stopped by Capcom when he originally wanted to make REsident Evil. The same guy who was stopped making Dino Crisis and Devil May Cry for months on end. The same guy that is constantly being reshuffled and messed about.

The guy that doesn't want to waste resources developing his games on shoddy machines.

He does develop games for the PS2, Under the Skin and Devil May Cry being prime examples. And Capcom are doing alright now especially with help from the Zelda games, Megaman and Street Fighter (resident Evil never made THAT much money in comparison to Megaman and Street Fighter).

Mikami wants to develop his game for the console he wants. How would you like it if you made something for someone only for someone to copy it and give it to someone else.

Mikami promised all Nintendo fans the game would not go elsewhere and it did. He said he'd cut his own head off if the game went to the PS2.

So instead he is leaving Capcom. Much like David Doak left RARE.
Thu 11/11/04 at 12:47
Dringo wrote:

>
> That, my friends, is dedication to a cause.

No, it's called getting what you want.
Thu 11/11/04 at 12:45
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Wasn't Capcom in financial troubles not too long ago?

Seems like this Mikami bloke needs a slap!

It's all well and good saying "I only want to develop for GameCube!". But when cr@p sales follow, and the developer needs the cash, doesn't it make sence to release the same (or mildy worse) game on a more profitable format?

Your all going, "Yer, quit, start your own company, blah blah". Viewtiful Joe, PN04... any new Capcom games (specially on Cube), don't exactly bring in the MEGA bucks. It's mainly the Resi Evil series that is keeping Capcom afloat.

So if you want to see more original titles like Viewtiful Joe, then a company needs the finances to fund new 'risky' projects. And the best way of them getting these funds is by releasing their best franchise on as many formats as possible. Even if it exclusive to one format for a period of time first, and then released on subsequent formats.

So I think this guy should stop complaining, make his great Cube version, and then let someone else be incharge of having it ported to the PS2 if he doesn't want to!

:)

Thu 11/11/04 at 11:46
Regular
I get the feeling you have no idea what you are talking about.
Thu 11/11/04 at 11:05
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
>
> That, my friends, is dedication to a lost cause.

A lost cause? Do you even know what I meant?

Capcom directors hate the X-box, they really do. Both them and the developers.

The developers like the Gamecube.

The management like the PS2 because of the money.

The cause I am referring to is developers actually getting to do what they want.

Mikami is constantly hounded at Capcom, it is about time he started his own studio for unique games (Production Studio 4 won't part from Capcom)...

At least that way we'd get what HE wants, his visions...

The old management were better, they rarely influenced his decisions.
Thu 11/11/04 at 00:01
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Lost cause?
More like the anti-PS2 cause.
Wed 10/11/04 at 23:56
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> That, my friends, is dedication to a lost cause.
Wed 10/11/04 at 23:44
Regular
"8==="
"Guru"

Heh.
Wed 10/11/04 at 23:41
Regular
"Bow to me!"
Would be nice if Mikami and other dedicated programers would setup their own unit, or become part of Nintendo. That wouldnt give them Resident Evil though, as Capcom would still own the rights to it, but it would be nice to see them doing something that they wanted to do. However, I think that Capcom will get Mikami back and they will settle half way and come to some agreement. I wouldnt want to see Resident Evil gone forever, or be reduced to a lower standard, in which case they might aswell not bother at all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.