GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will I ever have choices?!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/04/05 at 23:13
Regular
I'm 16 now and I was told that I can make my own choices.
But lately my family have made my choices.
Tomorrow I wanted to have a look for something but it seemed I didn't have a choice, I had to stay here.
And today was told that in a few weeks my mum was gonna be away all Saturday and I'm being made to go to my grans (I was first told I can stay home). I'm old enough to look after myself and keep myself occupied for a while, but my families over protective and my mum would worry about me all day (I'm not a mummys boy)

Any ideas of how I could get Saturday to myself and have a chance to make my own choices???
Mon 18/04/05 at 06:56
That was a most touching story.
Mon 18/04/05 at 05:21
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
In a way your mum will always be protective, but if you are the oldest she will be more protective.

My mum has 5 children. 3 girls and 2 boys.

With my older sister she was quite protective, especially when it came to boys and letting her stay at their houses. My sister started going out with her boyfriend (now husband) when she was 16. By the time she was almost 18 my sister was allowed to stay at her boyfriends house. She also went clubbing and came home with her boyfriend so my mum always knew she was safe.

Next is me. I got my first boyfriend when I was 16 and cos he was older my mum started letting me go out at night more and more. When I broke up with him I was 18, so I started going to clubs and stuff, at first she always picked me up, then gradually she didn't mind, so long as I went home with someone (female friend-ho ho ho). But it wasn't until last summer (when I was 19, I'm 20 now) that she actually let me stay at a boyfriends house.

Now i've kinda left home she basically treats me as an adult, rather than her child and lets me make my own choices, especially regarding university and my future plans. So i'm finally making my own choices at 20.

My little sister is 17. She goes to the pub every weekend, even if she is underage. I'm sure my parents would prefer she didn't, but they have both learn from me and my older sister that (a) the pub is ok-since i go there too, kinda weird when my lil sister offers to buy me a drink and (b) that we are all responsible and the outside world isn't so bad. But they still have some hold over her, i'm sure if my sister quit 6th form my mum would have something to say about that.

Anyhoo, the point is, if you are the oldest they WILL be more protective. Don't expect for them to give you complete control all at once, after all you do (I presume) still live under their roof so have to go by their rules. My mum don't let my bf stay over when i'm back at home, but knows he stays over at my house at uni all the time, and we both respect that.

You don't say what choices your mum doesn't give you? I get the feeling that it's just because you want to stay alone, and I expect your mum is worried that something will happen to you. Explain to her that she can't and won't be able to look after you for the rest of your life and you need to learn to look after yourself at some point.

When she leaves you alone once, she'll begin to leave you alone more and more, tho it will be a gradual process.

Anyhoo, thats just my ramblings from my experience. As someone already said, we don't know your mum and how she will react.

Good Luck dude :o)
Mon 18/04/05 at 05:13
Regular
"8==="
Ha ha! Mugged...
Mon 18/04/05 at 04:57
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Ok 16 you have some freedom, you just have to realise they doesn't apply while you're living in someone else's house under their rules. If you want to go out then go out but i'd try not to make an argument of it with your mum and dont tell her you got mugged, it'll make her worse.
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:48
Regular
"cachoo"
Peter .K wrote:
> A good way to tell me, I think the main reason she's over protective
> is because for 8 years I had epilepsy *blush* and I couldn't do much.
> Right now I feel like I'm sl*gging my mum off!

Well now it makes sense! Maybe you could have someone over with you?
You shouldn't really feel like that either, just sounds like you really want some freedom and choice and because you don't have it just yet, just blame the person who worries the most! It's easy :) Y'never know. Have a few words with her about how you really feel and she might understand.

& eBay works fine for me..
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:46
Regular
1 quick thing to mention/ask. Is ebay not registering properly or is it just my i.p address has been blocked??

Carry on after answering please!!

I'll be back tomorrow
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:43
Regular
Time_Warp wrote:
> poopots wrote:
> Also make it out that you have a very
> intimate relationship with a female.
>
>
> It's not believable.
>
>
> Anywho, just take charge mate. I'm 16, and I have the freedom to do
> whatever I want. I'm not sure if I earnt it...or if I just forced it
> upon my mum, but I don't break any laws or cause any hassle for her
> so she let's me get on with it. Just tell your mum to give you some
> freedom, and if you screw it up then she can wrap you up in cotton
> wool, but if not ,then to give you some freedom in the future.

I'm not a law breaker and I'm not sure how I'll earn it, maybe get a job might make her a bit more easy going.
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:40
Regular
poopots wrote:
> Come home late at night after having a skin full, start smoking and
> grown some facial hair. Also make it out that you have a very
> intimate relationship with a female.

Yeah I guess I could get into a relationship, I know a lot of girls but the problem is that I listen to all the real hevy metal stuff and a lot of girls might not like that and just think "he's a goth I'm not going out with him" and I can be a bit shy.
I'll find someone hopefully.
or maybe my mate will come over and i'll go to town with him, ditch him and do what I want.
I'm not gonna grow any facial hair I hate beards, I can't stand the taste of fags and I don't get drunk (or even go out at night)
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:35
Regular
Ms NY wrote:
> Can't you sit your mum down and tell her this? She might
> understand, but I have no idea what kinda woman she is. She could be
> one who screams as soon as you talk. Eek.
> If not, you could lie. Or not tell the whole truth. Exaggerate.
> Like.. say you've been invited to do something in town on that
> Saturday and would like to go. Then when it comes to it, go for a
> walk for a little while and go back home when she's left [assuming
> you have your own house keys..]
>
> But.. overprotective at 16? She needs to let you go. Be naughty for a
> little while. :p
> Maybe you could scare her. Tell her you're gay, or you got
> mugged/attacked last night. Maybe that way she'll realise that
> staying at home is nothing.

A good way to tell me, I think the main reason she's over protective is because for 8 years I had epilepsy *blush* and I couldn't do much. Right now I feel like I'm sl*gging my mum off!
Sun 17/04/05 at 23:21
Regular
"bot"
[URL]http://www.genxvideo.com/film_genres/teena.jpg[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.