GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Installing Linux for first time - dual boot problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/04/05 at 23:53
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yo people,

Currently trying to get Fedora Core 3 up-and-running on my machine. I've got a 400gb SATA running XP Pro and have today installed an 80gb SATA and successfully installed Fedora on it.

However, I'm having trouble configuring the machine for dual boot. I've set up the XP boot program (sorry, forgotten the name, begins with n, you know what I'm on about) so you can chose between XP and linux, but when I select linux the machine simply reboots. I'm guessing I've done something wrong when installing/setting up GRUB, but I'm not sure as I'm rather new to all this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thu 14/04/05 at 09:44
Regular
"bing bang bong"
That's a slightly confused request for help. GRUB and LILO are the functional equivalent of NTLDR, only one can be active at once. I would personally recommend using either GRUB or LILO - hopefully putting in your Fedora CD/DVD will enable you boot into your linux install from which you can get one of them up and running. Failing that, you could always look at something like this [URL]http://www.linuxsolved.com/forums/ftopic125.html[/URL] for help with getting NTLDR configured correctly. I would guess you're not pointing it at the right partition, or your not pointing it at your kernel within that partition.
Thu 14/04/05 at 06:29
Grub and LILO are the most commonly used ones, dunno about this n one you mention.

Just run the FC3 installer (the first part) again, and when you get to the bootloader section select the HD with the Linux and Xp boot partitions as the options.
Wed 13/04/05 at 23:53
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yo people,

Currently trying to get Fedora Core 3 up-and-running on my machine. I've got a 400gb SATA running XP Pro and have today installed an 80gb SATA and successfully installed Fedora on it.

However, I'm having trouble configuring the machine for dual boot. I've set up the XP boot program (sorry, forgotten the name, begins with n, you know what I'm on about) so you can chose between XP and linux, but when I select linux the machine simply reboots. I'm guessing I've done something wrong when installing/setting up GRUB, but I'm not sure as I'm rather new to all this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.