GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, Old Boy..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/04/05 at 10:43
Regular
A lot of you say it's good. Isn't it subtitled though?

Dubbed I can handle, but I can't really get into subtitled films, where half the time is spent reading the words at the bottom of the screen.

I want to see it - and will most probably rent it this weekend. I just need to know if it's definitely subtitled or just dubbed.
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:43
Regular
"Captain to you."
Bejam wrote:
> Not seen the new Appleseed yet

Appleseed 2004 = beautiful

This film pretty much got me working on 3d for a few weeks (thats alot for me), due to it's fantabulusness.

Yeah my Ghost in the Shell 2 has those subs on but they are not too bad, part from one part where a paragraph appears on teh screen for about 3 seconds and there is no way of reading fast enough to catch every word.
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:38
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Chippxero wrote:
> Bejam wrote:
> I guess I still don't really care for subtitles in anime.
>
> Does this mean you haven't experiences Appleseed 2004 or Ghost in the
> shell 2?

Not seen the new Appleseed yet, waiting for the dvd. GitS2 I had forgotten about, though the initial dvds that came out had the really lame hard of hearing subtitles on them which ruined the experience a bit (subtitles saying "sound of helicopter approaching" or "crowd noise" get rather annoying), so I sent my copy back and am awaiting the replacement copy with the better subs on them.
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:35
Regular
"Captain to you."
Bejam wrote:
> I guess I still don't really care for subtitles in anime.

Does this mean you haven't experiences Appleseed 2004 or Ghost in the shell 2?

Old boy is a great film and the subs don't bother me but then i have alot more asian films than i do western ones, and nearly all my films are subbed.

I don't notice subtitles that much anymore, one of my house mates refuses to watch subtitled films, but it just means he is missing out on some great films.
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:06
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I think the first ever subbed film I watched was Akira when it was shown for the first time on BBC2 many years ago. I didn't like the subtitles then as it didn't allow me to really enjoy the amazing animation, and I guess I still don't really care for subtitles in anime (the US dubbing for anime is also now very well done nowadys so that helps), but for live-action films I don't find it a problem now, mainly because I've bought and seen quite a lot of subbed only films so am used to reading the subtitles.
It's just one of those things you have to get used to, but when you do, there's a plentiful supply of really good films to see, and if you buy the foreign versions, you get to see them months and months before they arrive here (like OldBoy and Hero for example).
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:01
Regular
Another movie that Geekteam Knowles have been hollering about for ages.

Not saying it's bad, though.
Tue 12/04/05 at 10:55
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Bejam wrote:
> The real problem is when you buy foreign dvds and all the menus
> feature no English :D
> Thankfully though Korean dvds usually do have English text on the
> menus too.

I got that problem with Hero. It took about half an hour before I remembered that it's read right to left, and if I simply pressed "play" on startup, the movie would start.......
Tue 12/04/05 at 10:54
Regular
Gah, subbed only?

Oh well, I know I'm still going to have to watch it to see why it's so good!

I'll rent it this Friday then :D
Tue 12/04/05 at 10:52
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
The real problem is when you buy foreign dvds and all the menus feature no English :D
Thankfully though Korean dvds usually do have English text on the menus too.
Tue 12/04/05 at 10:50
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
My Korean R3 version is subtitled. But then it would be.

Personally, I despise dubbing and if given the choice of watching a dubbed version or not watching it at all, I'd pick not watching. On similar lines, I had a chance of watching Collateral on a flight to Dominican republic. On the words "this movie has been changed in both content and ratio from the original version" I removed the headphones and read instead.

OldBoy is a very good film BTW, and not what I was expecting at all. If you're not used to them, subtitles can be a little frustrating, but you get used to them quickly and hardly notice.

When I think about the movie, I see the actors speaking english, not the screen displaying the English subtitles (hard to explain.)
Tue 12/04/05 at 10:48
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
It's subbed only, but don't let that put you off. It's the best film I've seen in a very long time, superb stuff.

I guess if you don't watch many subtitled films it can be a bit of a pain getting used to them, but after a while watching them is easy.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.