GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So, Old Boy..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/04/05 at 10:43
Regular
A lot of you say it's good. Isn't it subtitled though?

Dubbed I can handle, but I can't really get into subtitled films, where half the time is spent reading the words at the bottom of the screen.

I want to see it - and will most probably rent it this weekend. I just need to know if it's definitely subtitled or just dubbed.
Tue 12/04/05 at 17:38
Regular
Dubbed movies are generally unwatchable these days. But dubbing can sometimes bring much needed comedy to the old kung-fu movies, old skool dubbing is hilarious.
Tue 12/04/05 at 16:56
Regular
Dubbed movies are crap, it doesn't seem to give any character to the actors within the story with an unfitting Western accent.
Tue 12/04/05 at 14:49
Regular
I think either your TV is broken or your ears are.
Tue 12/04/05 at 14:31
Regular
I have to shove subtitles on in most DVD's anyway.
i can't hear what they're saying over crappy "background" music.
Tue 12/04/05 at 14:03
Regular
"8==="
Not fussed about subtitles aslong as the movie is excellent.
Tue 12/04/05 at 14:02
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> When I think about the movie, I see the actors speaking english, not
> the screen displaying the English subtitles (hard to explain.)

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
It makes it better in a way because it makes every line seem perfectly delivered...

Sometimes I forget that I saw a film subbed, and just remember the lines being delivered in English.

Also, some dubbed films are just so cheesy.
The lack of synchronisation between the voice and the image just makes it seem... :-S
Tue 12/04/05 at 12:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, ignore the indie-kids with their Tartan Extreme tattoo and enormo-collection of Fulcia movies. It's actually very very good and not what you expect.

On a similar "Well that wasn't what I expected", rent "Dead Man's Shoes" by Shane Meadows.
Tue 12/04/05 at 12:25
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I've heard Oldboy's good but when the regular forum "I watch
> asian film becoz I is propa indie" forum nerd came on spewwing
> his load over it, it kinda put me off.

That's what put me off initially. I was expecting an arthouse, inpeneterable mess of a movie. A mate, who's not one of these movie snobs recommended it to me and I gave it a try. Well worth it.
Tue 12/04/05 at 12:19
Regular
I'd sooner eat my own foot than watch a dubbed film.

I've heard Oldboy's good but when the regular forum "I watch asian film becoz I is propa indie" forum nerd came on spewwing his load over it, it kinda put me off.
Tue 12/04/05 at 11:45
Regular
The first sub-titled film I saw was Battle Royale.

I found it hard at first to keep up but you get used to it.

Since then I've managed to view quite a range of films from over the seas.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.