GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Resurrection of Evil"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/04/05 at 04:31
Regular
"Captain to you."
I know a lot of people here haven't really got too much they liked about Doom 3 but I personally really enjoyed this game, and would pick it over Half life 2 every time.

This add-on follows along the same style as Doom 3 did corridors, darkness, creepy sounds and jumpy bits. But it was only while playing it tonight that I got that feeling that Doom 3 first gave me, that feeling that I didn't want o go in to area because I knew something bad was in there and that it was going to scare the begeezus out of me.

There are certain things needed to experience this game I feel properly.

1. completely dark room

This is not just so that you have a dark room like the one in the game, it also helps when trying to see in dark areas because you have zero glare on your screen.

Please note viewing a monitor for long periods of time in darkness can cause headaches

2. 5.1 surround sound system

This is probably the most important of all the things that you should have on your PC. Doom 3/resurrection of Evil is pretty but it's true beauty is the audio. Dark rooms and shadows aren’t scary but when random sounds are added to the room, suddenly anything could be lurking just out of sight. The makers took the Film style of using sound to build up the emotion they wanted and they do it fantastically.

3. You have to be alone.

Having someone else in the room leads to one of two things.

a. your friend talks about bits he likes as you play commenting all the way through ruining the feeling of the game, often complaining that your spending too much time reading all the notes in the PDA.

b. Your friend sits quietly waiting for a long time before deciding to creep up behind you and place a hand on your shoulder while yelling BOO, making you jump and your heart to stop for almost a whole minute. Your friend is laughing and you are in need of a defibulator(sp?).

As a lot of people know there are some new weapons thrown in to the mix for Resurrection of Evil.

The Grabber: This is the gravity gun style weapon, a lot of people have talked about how it's just a rip off from HL2 but it is easy to tell that it's not really trying to do the same job as the one in HL2.

Half Life 2's gravity gun was all about showing off the physics engine, having loads of stuff that you can move around if you want to but often it was only used to move objects blocking your path, apart from the last level which I think ruined what was an ok game.

Resurrection of Evil's Grabber is all about killing, much like the rest of Doom 3. Smaller creatures like the spiders can be picked up and thrown against a wall to kill them, projectiles like plasma balls can be caught and thrown back at imps. The best feature of the gun is that it's limited heavily, not a lot of range and you can only hold an object for around 4 second before the gun auto-launches it. The gun can be used to move boxes and creates but I found I only did this when I saw some items I wanted and I built myself a tower to climb.

The Artefact: This weapon you get in the first level but cannot use straight away, it feeds off the souls of the humans that have died in the accident. When used you can slow time, for either combat giving you a big advantage or for getting through a series of Prince of Persia style traps that are in a few of the levels.

Double Barrel Shotgun This was a weapon a lot of fans wanted to see in the game again, works the same as before 2 rounds at once with a meaty BOOM just before a zombie flies backwards and disintegrates. A great weapon that is quite early in the add-on but only if you read the PDA data for the code to the locker.

The feature that I really like about Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil is the PDA and all the data and other PDAs that are picked up on your mission through the darkness. These tell a story of what happened in detail, how the structure became how it is, what the people where meant to be like. Some of the e-mails are just the sort of random stuff you get everyday but it all adds to the story. The best feature are the audio logs that can be collected, hearing the scientist talk about experiments going wrong and how people are starting to change makes you feel more involved somehow.

I love this game and I hope that they produce another along the same sort of style.

I know this is a longish post and most people probably won't read it but I ran out of space in my review so I wanted to post other elements somewhere on here.
Sat 09/04/05 at 20:17
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Chippxero wrote:
> All of the intensity is lost because it gets way too
> repetitive.
>
> Nearly every game is repetitive or has large sections of it.
>
> Thats like saying i don't play RTS games cause all you do is: get
> resources, build things, get army and attack. or RPGs: get quest,
> kill stuff, collect item get xp, level up.

Obviously gameplay gets repetitive in any game. I found Doom 3 to be so repetitive because of the level design. There was never any variation in it. Just one dark corridor followed by another with a room every now and again.

The spawning positions of the enemies always seemed to be the same. There were always designated parts of the levels where you knew enemies would come from such as the small slits in the bottom of the walls where spiders would always emerge from.

Knowing where your enemies are going to attack from really takes the scare factor out of it. It simply becomes too predictable.

Chippxero wrote:
> Half Life 2 was far better in every repsect. The close quarters
> combat doesn't really suit the first person genre.
>
> Of course it does other wise what genre does close quarters combat
> suit?, it just doesn't do it for you.

I've always found close quarters combat works very well with third person games e.g. Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid.
Sat 09/04/05 at 02:01
Regular
"Captain to you."
Chr1s wrote:
> Not really. I neither hate or love it. It's an average game at best.
> I could only imagine it having a big impact on people who scare
> easily.

I don't scare easily but it is very different for a game to have atmosphere like Doom 3 does. Painkiller tries it in places but because painkiller is mindless killing it doesn't keep it for long.

> All of the intensity is lost because it gets way too
> repetitive.

Nearly every game is repetitive or has large sections of it.

Thats like saying i don't play RTS games cause all you do is: get resources, build things, get army and attack. or RPGs: get quest, kill stuff, collect item get xp, level up.

> Half Life 2 was far better in every repsect. The close quarters
> combat doesn't really suit the first person genre.

Of course it does other wise what genre does close quarters combat suit?, it just doesn't do it for you.
Fri 08/04/05 at 22:31
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Chippxero wrote:
> Doom 3 is a very different style of game play to Half Life 2 it's
> close quaters combat in very dark areas, it's one of those games you
> either love or hate.

Not really. I neither hate or love it. It's an average game at best. I could only imagine it having a big impact on people who scare easily. All of the intensity is lost because it gets way too repetitive.

May have been the reason why it took me a while to complete. Once the intensity was gone, I wasn't even slightly hesitant about running into the darkest areas and just shooting everything. This often caused me to get a beating because I hadn't stopped to see where anything was.

Half Life 2 was far better in every repsect. The close quarters combat doesn't really suit the first person genre, so Half Life 2's more open gameplay has it beaten there.

I was giving some thought to getting the Doom 3 expansion, but unless it's considerably less repetitive and tame, I think I'll leave it.
Thu 07/04/05 at 07:37
Regular
I loved Doom 3, so I'll naturally be getting this expansion. The Hazmat zombies look very nice indeed.
Wed 06/04/05 at 21:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I didn't hate Doom3 by any means.
And I think it's one of the most atmospheric, dread inducing games of recent late. Until an hour or into the game once the change has happened.
The intro and exploring the base is awesome, atmospheric and creepy.
And the 1st couple hours after it all goes wrong was fantastic and made me nervous as hell.
Until I realised I simply walked into a room, stepped over a trigger point to spawn several monsters and left the room. Repeat.
It was, for me, simply one darkened corridor after another with endlessly spawning monsters you shot.
That was it, nothing else except room clearance/save/room clearance/save.

Whereas Half-Life 2 constantly impressed with throwing something new at me every single level.
It wasn't just the physics, it wasn't just the imaginatively created levels, it wasn't just the awesome graphics, it wasn't just the excellently threadbare story.
It was everything put together seamlessly.
Having Barney reveal himself as a Combine Guard, the introduction of Alyx, the reappearence of the monsters as friends this time, headcrabs, grav gun, firing paintcans at zombies, ingenious traps, characters you care about.

But it's each to their own.
I found Doom3 a strictly linear run and gun with shiny visuals and little gameplay thought, you thought the same of Half-Life2.
If we all liked the same games, it'd be boring.

But I wont be buying the Doom expansion because it's just more of the same.
Wed 06/04/05 at 16:52
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I liked Half Life 2, it was series of massive, brilliantly staged set pieces with one of the most impressive physics engines (can't get enough of those damn physics) around.

Doom 3, it was doom with better graphics. You spend most of the time walking through very narrow and very linear corridors fighting off hundreds of monsters that spawn front, side and behind you. Oh yeah that was fun, having to fight off huge hulking great big missile launching monsters only to get killed when one decides to appear behind you.

"but, but, it's scary" well it's spooky certainly, but scary, no. Trouble with Doom 3 it is too repetitive to create a decent amount of scares. You know what's going to come round the next corner, and because there's no variety in the game-play, there are really no surprises.

Oh, and I cheated on the last boss. I don't work my way through these games just to get stuck at the end because the developer thought it’s be great to add a more "challenging" boss creature at the end of it all. What they hell kind of reward is that?
Wed 06/04/05 at 14:35
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Doom 3 -> Doom3 : Resurrection of Evil
=
Doom -> Doom2.
=
A few more monsters, a couple of new weapons (and one of them is the weapon added in Doom2 ), slightly better graphics.

Hurrah!....................

I'll play it if I can get it cheap, but have a sneaking suspicion I'll be bored in a matter of two levels due to the gameplay being mostly the same as Doom3. D3 - jawdropping gfx but boring, boring, boring.

Nah. Not excited at all.

Half Life 2 still is my benchmark. It reminded me in a way of Super Mario World. Before all you smartasses get cocky, I mean in the same way something new was added to the mix every level.
Wed 06/04/05 at 14:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Chippxero wrote:
> it was only used to move objects blocking your path, apart
> from the last level which I think ruined what was an ok game.

Yep, picking up guards and throwing them across the room and down an abyss was so boring...
Wed 06/04/05 at 11:19
Regular
"gsybe you!"
It sounds like Doom II.

With better graphics

Hooray and all that, but no.
Wed 06/04/05 at 11:16
Regular
"Captain to you."
Cycloon wrote:
> I didn't enjoy HL2 much either, but Doom III sounds a bit cack all the
> same.

Is that just from what people have told you? i'd suggest playing the demo or something, i hardly ever go by other people opinions of games because at some point they are bound to differ from mine the only way to know is to play it and see.

Doom 3 is a very different style of game play to Half Life 2 it's close quaters combat in very dark areas, it's one of those games you either love or hate.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.