GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Error 404?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/04/05 at 13:46
Regular
Ok my son is asking me is it possible to have your own Error page? he has a domain hosted with freeola and at present any error pages are Freeola ones, I think he would like to make his own but can it be done?
Tue 05/04/05 at 13:46
Regular
Ok my son is asking me is it possible to have your own Error page? he has a domain hosted with freeola and at present any error pages are Freeola ones, I think he would like to make his own but can it be done?
Tue 05/04/05 at 13:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, look up ".htaccess tricks" in google, there'll be info there.

I think Freeola support .htaccess - most hosts should do.
Tue 05/04/05 at 14:52
Regular
I looked up google and it said how to make the .htaccess file and I did that I tried to upload it to freeola space but it dosent show? does that mean its not supported?
Tue 05/04/05 at 15:25
Regular
"NULL"
Freeola don't allow .htaccess files. If you need to use them, just use another host.
Tue 05/04/05 at 15:45
Regular
cheers for that, I did wonder as even if you upload the text file in ascii as soon as you rename it to .htaccess it vanishes like snow off a wall.
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
*shakes fist at SR Towers*

Yet another limitation. It's hardly a security issue either.
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:44
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Whilst on htaccess, is this where I set directory permissions? I want to prevent directory listing of various folders on my server.
Tue 05/04/05 at 17:45
Regular
"NULL"
Yup, it is.
Tue 05/04/05 at 19:58
"Are you sure?"
Sorry chaps but you don't know what you're talking about!

FREEOLA do allow .htaccess (thank god!) but don't encourage it (as a staffie said in a recent'ish' post) due to all the problems that it causes when people don't know what they are doing and FREEOLA then have to clean the mess up!!!

The reason you don't see the file when you FTP it, is because your FTP client is basic or configured incorrectly.

My free freeola webspace [URL]http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/[/URL] has one. Try looking for a page that doesn't exist!

I thought twice before posting this. Please don't rock the boat! If you don't know what you're doing LEAVE IT ALONE

A FREEOLA FAN...
Tue 05/04/05 at 20:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Sorry chaps but you don't know what you're talking about!
>
> FREEOLA do allow .htaccess (thank god!) but don't encourage it (as a
> staffie said in a recent'ish' post) due to all the problems that it
> causes when people don't know what they are doing and FREEOLA then
> have to clean the mess up!!!
>
> The reason you don't see the file when you FTP it, is because your
> FTP client is basic or configured incorrectly.
>
> My free freeola webspace [URL]http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/[/URL] has
> one. Try looking for a page that doesn't exist!
>
> I thought twice before posting this. Please don't rock the boat!
> If you don't know what you're doing LEAVE IT ALONE

>
> A FREEOLA FAN...

Oh dear...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.