GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Student Loans and the election"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/03/05 at 15:29
Regular
"Bow To Me Minions"
Oh look, Mr B.Liar is trying to get the student/ex student vote.

He's put the threshold up on repayments for student loans.

Now you have to earn £15,000 a year to make any repayments. (Instead of £10,000).

Now I pay nothing again. But he'll not get my vote.
Wed 23/03/05 at 11:20
Regular
A student with a 2:1/1st degree from a top 10 uni is going to earn far over that threshold anyway with their first job. Which is what bothers me. May as well accept that we're going to have to pay for spending all this cheap money on beer and chips. I'm over it.
Wed 23/03/05 at 12:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Light wrote:

> Scuse me; I need to nip away from my desk in order to laugh heartily
> at the irony of kevstar making this statement...

Curse you Light and your quickness :-D
Wed 23/03/05 at 12:32
Regular
"..."
I'm quite happy with this, means I get more money each month, although on the flip-side it'll take me longer to pay the thing off. Ah well.
Thu 24/03/05 at 08:46
Regular
"Bow To Me Minions"
kevstar wrote:
> Student loans eahh, well like the pensioners I think you lot are bieng
> so unfair, why. Well first of all you don't have to pay nothing back
> untill your on a wage capable of covering it. It's interest free, and
> it allows you when your not working, to not have to pay anthing back
> untill you get that job.

It is not interest free. currently it stands at above the rate of inflation.

EDIT: My mistake; I forgot; It is interest free until you finish your studies. And it currently stands at 9% per annum.
Thu 24/03/05 at 09:18
Regular
"Bow To Me Minions"
Stryke wrote:
> A student with a 2:1/1st degree from a top 10 uni is going to earn far
> over that threshold anyway with their first job.

I feel in a few years time this won't be the case. There are going to be too many graduates, and because of this, the wages for them will lower.

I only have a three grand loan. I hated uni, as I spent more time working (in Tesco) to support myself after the LEA decided that even though all my parents money was tied up in their morgage they could afford to keep me. They couldn't, my student loan covered my rent and tutition fees and left me with £20 to spend. In the end I left and did a three year apprenticeship with an IT company. Although I still don't earn that much, I'm far more usefull to the company than any graduate. I even had one the other day who could explain the algebra calculations etc that happen in a processor, but couldn't use FDISK.

No practical skills.
Thu 24/03/05 at 12:46
Regular
God wrote:

>> No practical skills.

--

You're generalising a bit there, don't you think? Or is this a case of "students just laze about drinking and spending my money which I earnt good n proper and the government GRRRR THE GOVERNMENT just gives it to them lazy no skilled fools who drink beer all day every day"

I work at my course. My parents can afford to support me. And I spend time wasting. Not really going to apologise for that, and I get really angry at the generalist opinion of non-graduates.
Thu 24/03/05 at 12:58
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Students should stop moaning.
Stop buying £4 Ginsters sandwhiches every day and go work for 20 hours a week. Twunts
Thu 24/03/05 at 13:04
Regular
That's enough from you. I bet you've stolen a lot of money and just live off that. Yeah, sounds about right. Big bank job.
Thu 24/03/05 at 13:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Yep
To be fair I get easier in Scotland, I probably couldn't have gone to Uni if I had to pay a couple of grand every year.
Thu 24/03/05 at 13:07
Regular
Don't Scottish students still get exempted from fees if they go to uni in England?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.