GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Freeola Broadband - New central pipe..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/12/06 at 16:47
Regular
Hi,
I've read elsewhere that Entanet are currently commissioning a 3rd central (622mb) pipe.

For a while now I've had to re-boot my router quite frequently to re-establish normal connection speeds. When my connection 'goes slow' my Netgear router reports very high "noise margins". The only way to clear this is to re-boot the router. To start with I started to suspect possible problems with my router, but after lots of poking about it's starting to look as if this situation could be caused by ongoing network problems?

I haven't seen any mention of related issues on the Freeola Network Status page but thought it would be worth asking here in case capacity problems and other "latency" issues are connected to my problems.
If this is related am I right to hope this "3rd pipe" will ease the situation?

Any additional info would be much appreciated to save me spending more time messing with my router firmware etc.!

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps I should add that today there hasn't been any problems and my connection is great (kiss-of-death).
Tue 19/12/06 at 11:54
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
It does appear that this is the case, certainly over the last few days Entanet have been moving across a number of customers onto the new pipe, and today I belive is the first day of true connectivity!

Here's to no more problems!
Tue 19/12/06 at 11:05
Regular
FYI:
EntaNet are reporting they have finished installing their 3rd pipe this morning. Hopefully this will improve things - my ADSL is whizzing along as I write this :)
Sun 17/12/06 at 12:50
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Hi gimpy,

Unfortunately not. In BT's view, you only went live on your activation date, that's when it actually got closed off fully on our systems. Certainly if your having issues still, then it has come to the end of your training period, so we are able to log a fault for investigation.

If you could give our guys a call on 0871 210 9977 when you get a chance, we can take down some details and have this passed on for you.
Fri 15/12/06 at 19:25
Regular
Hi guys,

thank you for everyone who has replied.

i am using a new adsl router, and can have this changed if need be. i am also planning on testing on another router too.

the dsl connection drops at different times and there is no pattern to this.

i understand about the 10 day stabilation period but as BT activated by broadband several days before Freeola's planned activation date - therefore I would have assumed the 10 day stabilation period would have started as soon as the line was activated - is this correct?

its not good as i planned to go voip and now everytime i attempt to make a call (voip) my line drops. btw this happens with anything, online games too....its driving me crazy...and I hoped for so much more.....

gimpy
Fri 15/12/06 at 14:09
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Thanks for the reply GWD.

Basically Gimpy, when you first connect to a MAX product, your connection does require a 10 day training period. In this time, your line will try and work out exactly what speed it can handle whilst remaining stable. You may notice a range of connection speeds in the first few days, but this should begin to stabilise and settle within a couple of days.

The pipe issue as stated previously by GWD and I, may not be helping too much. If after ten days your fault is persisting, do not hesitate to contact our support team on 0871 210 9977, where we can report this for investigation.
Thu 14/12/06 at 17:10
Regular
Hi Gimpy, I thought I had better reply as Freeola may not have seen your post yet.

It could be connected to the current capacity issues - due to be resolved by the 22nd Dec. But it could also be down to your router and/or line.

When I joined Freeola I started with their standard 'Epic' router which often dropped the connection. I upgraded to a Netgear DG834 which has proved to be much more reliable for me.

It's probably best to wait until the new 'central pipe' is in use before you buy any new kit.

How often if the problem happening?
Wed 13/12/06 at 19:04
Regular
hi everyone,

im hoping someone might be able to help. i keep getting a dsl connection timeout (at different times). the router log reads:

13.12.06 20:03:07 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists).

13.12.06 20:02:55 DSL synchronization starting (training).

13.12.06 20:02:47 Internet connection cleared.

13.12.06 20:02:47 DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization).

is this due the same topic you are speaking about or could it be to do with my dsl connection being new (bt activated freeola broadband on 5 december, although freeola had allocated 7 december as my activation date).

Tue 05/12/06 at 16:27
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
Sorry for the delay. We have been consulting with our technical partners and the following will now be placed on our network status page:

We have been informed by our technical partners that certain customers may experience temporary slow or unreliable broadband access, particularly during peak periods. This is as a result of a temporary load balancing issue between BT and our technical partners.

The best way to resolve this problem is to disconnect your broadband connection fully (e.g. power down your modem or router for at least 15 minutes). When you reconnect, our systems will attempt to connect you to the internet using load-balancing techniques to avoid further problems. It may be necessary to repeat this action several times if you experience the same problem again.

We appreciate that this is disruptive for the customers concerned and are advised that a major upgrade to alleviate this problem is already in progress with a full resolution expected by week commencing 18/12/06.

Freeola would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and wish to assure all customers affected that this problem is temporary in nature.

Again sorry for not getting this up sooner, and for any issues this has been causing.
Tue 05/12/06 at 13:13
Regular
I have had this dropping out with my broadband connection recently, but thought it was because BT have been doing major works in our area, I was blaming them. My Old man has a freeola connection and its been really bad with him ( he lives no where near me) and in the end we bought a new router for him but that did not solve the problem, this perhaps does solve it. I agree that there are occasions that I have called support re email issues that when I call they say "Oh we are aware of this" yet nothing has appeared on the network status page, I guess its not a real time thing and needs an operator to change the message? but It would be nice if planned works or upgrades etc were comunicated better, even through the E newsletter that appears in my inbox now and again just a thought. That said going by what my friends say about other services I still think Freeola are tops! head and shoulders above the rest in all departments.

Kev
Sun 03/12/06 at 17:16
Regular
Vexxxed wrote:
> We would usually get this on our Network Status page however, we
> are not entirely sure how many people this is effecting, and or
> if it is a major issue yet. Until we get some further
> information about this it's only been a few people reporting
> issues.
>
> Again I apologise for any problems, and will let you know as
> soon as we hear anything new.

Hi Vexxed.
Possibly others who have been having problems may have been looking at router firmware and other possible causes (especially as it's been going on for a while), which is what I've been doing! Information is always a good thing, so I would always appreciate an update on any outstanding problems, even if it's only affecting some users.

I often recommend Freeola to friends and clients (in November I signed 3 people up for ADSL with you) and I have always told them that the first point of call when they suspect a problem is your status page. In the last few days (it looks like this may just be me being slow to find out) I've found that there is more technical information available from other sources. If I can see that a problem has been identified and is under investigation or being resolved then I'm happy with that - but this information should be easily found.

Perhaps you could look at changing your status page to show on-going known problems to help your ADSL customers find this information?

I've been reading posts from a user calling himself 'Freeola' and signing off as 'Rob' on other forums who seems to be well aware of current issues - all information I thought I would see here.

As I've said many times before, I am a Freeola 'fan' and am only trying to provide some constructive feedback for you.

I started to say where where more information can be found but thought you may like to comment first.

[Please feel free to delete this post if it upsets anyone, as it is not my intention to offend]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.