GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Review of the half life 2 related reviews"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Tue 16/11/04 at 13:27
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"

Cmon. The box one is damn funny but the rest are a waste of time. Including this one. :D
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:08
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Unlocking files after installing and waiting for CD key to register.
This is retarded and way too much hassle for a 56kmodem owning bloke that went out and paid hard-earned £ for this game.
Steam say \"Dance monkey dance!\"
No, I paid full-whack for your product. Just let me play the goddamn thing.
Good job I pre-installed Steam otherwise I\'d be red-faced and trying to bumrape kittens and orphans to vent my fury.

I expect to lay my cash down and leave the shop with my product in hand, ready to play.
Not jump through slow-loading hoops to enjoy his game.
THAT HE PAID HIS MONEY FOR.

Rant over.
----

Unlocked CS:Source and now it's auto-updating.
52 mins remaining.
Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu *dragged off by the Patience-Police*
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:12
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Doesn't the CD include Steam?
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:14
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nope.
Well, not as far as I know.
I installed it last week on Pand's advice.
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:17
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
It has steam on it, it's what is installed first.
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:29
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Goatboy wrote:

> Unlocked CS:Source and now it's auto-updating.
> 52 mins remaining.
> Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu *dragged off by the Patience-Police*

It's shocking. A lot of people in the games industry are p***** about steam, but it's nothing compaired to the annoyance outside of it. Steam is basically corporate spyware, and a route a hell of a lot more companies will go, to get their 30 bucks a sales as opposed to the usual 7 bucks a sale. It's a brilliant anti piract tool as has been demonstrated, but damn, what a kick in the teeth for the customers on a low speed internet connection, or none at all.

I was hoping to unlock HL2 using a mobile as a USB modem. I see now I was silly and naive.
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:35
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Heart attack moment there, it said my cd key was invalid, then i realised i had mistaken a 4 for an A.

Doh.
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:40
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Can i close the subscription pending message window?
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:53
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, close Steam and then restart it.
It came to life.
I'm now on 66% unlocking game files after 1hr.

This is retarded.
I can see they want to prevent piracy, but this is annoying and possibly deterring people who paid legitimately for the game, not expecting to have to log on for 2hrs+ if they're unlucky enough to live without broadband.

And you'd think they'd have the servers running as best as possible, it's not like this is a surprise it's selling so well.

***edit***
You have to unlock the game files for HL2 & CS seperately, and then CS autoupdates before it will run.
Good job I'm not going anywhere just yet. I shall have a nice hot bath and then, when I emerge, it should be ready to play.
I bought this thing at 11:30am this morning and have been arseing around since then trying to get it registered/installed/unlocked.

Stupid Steam.
Tue 16/11/04 at 14:59
Regular
Yeah, the other day before work I started pre-loading and it was done by the time I got in. Hopefully that means I should just be able to go home and select play...

No doubt concessions were made for those filthy scavs who nicked in off the boat.
Tue 16/11/04 at 15:01
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
This is from a store-bought DVD copy.
I haven't downloaded through Steam so I'm not sure if it's the same with pre-loading, but once installed you have to register the CDkey, then unlock the game files.
Then autoupdate once unlocked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.