GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 1st impressions - Spoiler free"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Tue 16/11/04 at 18:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
After realising it was released today, I hurried down to the nearest game suppliers and purchased my copy.
This was about 11:30am.
Get home, look at the meager leaflet provided as I had my pre-game fag and cuppa.
Install (making sure I was connected to the internet because you have to register the CDkey, but that's ok because I've pre-installed Steam and am ready to go) and log onto Steam.
Problems, servers down and won't offialise my CDkey so I can't play. Sigh and wait for 20 mins, it works.
Yay!
Spend the next 4hrs trying to register, unlock game files, update etc etc - thanks to Steam's servers sucking ass and my dialup being even more of a vacuum suckthing.
Finally, at 17:00, I get to the front screen and choose my configs, adjust audio etc.
And just watch the front-screen as the soldiers walk about, droids zip over and take my photo.
Soaking up the world presented so early.
Have another fag and cupppa, I want to savour this.

Start game.
A similar flavour to the original, start to move around and see what's what.
Arrive at the destination and immediately stop to gape like a countrymouse arriving in London with my little gingham bag on a stick over my shoulder.
Imagine Crocodile Dundee staring at the escalators. That's me that is.
Wish that blasted sentry thing would stop taking my picture.
Excellent, a menace voiced guard. Eh? He's just punched me for going too near, right, I'll show you.
Dammit, I got zapped. Excellent, he's really angry with me.
I'll pick up a phone handle and lob it at him.
He didn't like that, he's chasing me all over the station.
Er...so is his mate, I'll stop and apologise. By letting them electrocute my face several times.
Talk to several people, they complain and moan so I'll just hurl a chair at them.
I'll show these stupid rule nazis who's the king here by "accidentally" walking into them.
Ow, stop shocking me for chrissakes.

I'll wander around the city a bit. That's a big-ass tower, looks menacing and final-level to this confused scientist.
Checkpoints and excellent wavy-glass. More shock-prodding means I'll not hang around there.
Man, these droids are like paparazzi.

***following bit edited so as not to spoil excellent bits***

Right, I'll just barricade that so they can't.
Hahaha, stupid enemies! My physics foil your jackbooted plans.
Curses, my barricade falls under their **edited**
I'll just **edited**. Wow, that's impressive. I'll reload and do that again. Yep, that right there is one of the coolest things I've seen so far and I did it myself.
**edited**
So if I'm quick enough, I can **edit**? Fantastic, that'll learn them.
HEADCRAB!!!! Eh?...**edited**

-------

I'm off out now, but I'm replaying this from the start tomorrow to savour it again.
Absolutely worth the wait and 4hrs online faffing about.
Buy it
Wed 17/11/04 at 09:44
Regular
gaybys wrote:
> You have to be connected to PLAY the game?! WTF?!?!

No, it is a bug. Steam was really unpredictable yesterday and it randomly complained that there is no connection even when you were wanting to play it offline.
Wed 17/11/04 at 00:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> And that is why I've been awaiting this so much. Physics. Almost real
> world Physics. Far Cry, for all it's a great game, had boxes and
> ragdolls. but this

Just wait til you get the grav gun then, if that isn't the single most impressive weapon in a game ever, then quite frankly, nothing is.
Tue 16/11/04 at 22:59
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
TDR wrote:
> Suddenly half-life2 switches itself off and steam starts complaining
> about no internet connection.

You have to be connected to PLAY the game?! WTF?!?!
Tue 16/11/04 at 22:39
Regular
"\\"
I can't really remember. It's not split up into sections so it's hard to remember where one bit becomes the other. But playing basketball with 'dog's ball, then throwing it really far was fun :D
Tue 16/11/04 at 21:58
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
TDR wrote:
> Valve's security measures have gone way too far...

I agree, but after spending an hour in HL2's company, I can see why they are so protective of it. It's a beautiful thing to behold. Favorite "laugh like a kid" part so far?

{edit} No Spoliers.
Tue 16/11/04 at 21:54
Regular
Jesus, I guess I was a lucky one: it only took me an hour and a half to get from opening the box to playing the game. But here's the thing:

I've got a 56k modem with freeola dial up (BT have been sitting around on their backsides so i'm not getting broadband for another week). I started at about midday and by the time i was finally playing the game i thought i'd better switch the internet off.

Suddenly half-life2 switches itself off and steam starts complaining about no internet connection. What?! Why the hell do i need to be connected at all times? I have the retail package (thanks for delivering it today, SR). Now i'm sat here, having played the game, everything downloaded, everything set up, but I can't play the game because steam is retarded.

Valve's security measures have gone way too far...
Tue 16/11/04 at 21:04
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Bwahaha, its so much fan to throw cans at guards faces and run away.

Then i got a blue screen and my computer restarted...
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:56
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Finally working.
Dear Lord.............................
Tue 16/11/04 at 20:00
The idea is great if it worked.
Tue 16/11/04 at 19:37
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
caveat wrote:
> I take it this whole setup is to spoil the piracy party?

the whole party by the looks of it. It's a farce. AND I'm broadband.

[edit] The servers are crippled. Way to go Valve. Whoever thought up steam needs shot. I can't get ANYTHING.

[edit2] Thats nearly an hour trying to login. Balls to it. SW : Battlefront. As I can't play HL2, HL, CS, Deathmatch classic. Or anything requiring steam.
Joke, joke, joke......

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.