GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half-Life 2 1st impressions - Spoiler free"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Half-Life 2'.
Tue 16/11/04 at 18:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
After realising it was released today, I hurried down to the nearest game suppliers and purchased my copy.
This was about 11:30am.
Get home, look at the meager leaflet provided as I had my pre-game fag and cuppa.
Install (making sure I was connected to the internet because you have to register the CDkey, but that's ok because I've pre-installed Steam and am ready to go) and log onto Steam.
Problems, servers down and won't offialise my CDkey so I can't play. Sigh and wait for 20 mins, it works.
Yay!
Spend the next 4hrs trying to register, unlock game files, update etc etc - thanks to Steam's servers sucking ass and my dialup being even more of a vacuum suckthing.
Finally, at 17:00, I get to the front screen and choose my configs, adjust audio etc.
And just watch the front-screen as the soldiers walk about, droids zip over and take my photo.
Soaking up the world presented so early.
Have another fag and cupppa, I want to savour this.

Start game.
A similar flavour to the original, start to move around and see what's what.
Arrive at the destination and immediately stop to gape like a countrymouse arriving in London with my little gingham bag on a stick over my shoulder.
Imagine Crocodile Dundee staring at the escalators. That's me that is.
Wish that blasted sentry thing would stop taking my picture.
Excellent, a menace voiced guard. Eh? He's just punched me for going too near, right, I'll show you.
Dammit, I got zapped. Excellent, he's really angry with me.
I'll pick up a phone handle and lob it at him.
He didn't like that, he's chasing me all over the station.
Er...so is his mate, I'll stop and apologise. By letting them electrocute my face several times.
Talk to several people, they complain and moan so I'll just hurl a chair at them.
I'll show these stupid rule nazis who's the king here by "accidentally" walking into them.
Ow, stop shocking me for chrissakes.

I'll wander around the city a bit. That's a big-ass tower, looks menacing and final-level to this confused scientist.
Checkpoints and excellent wavy-glass. More shock-prodding means I'll not hang around there.
Man, these droids are like paparazzi.

***following bit edited so as not to spoil excellent bits***

Right, I'll just barricade that so they can't.
Hahaha, stupid enemies! My physics foil your jackbooted plans.
Curses, my barricade falls under their **edited**
I'll just **edited**. Wow, that's impressive. I'll reload and do that again. Yep, that right there is one of the coolest things I've seen so far and I did it myself.
**edited**
So if I'm quick enough, I can **edit**? Fantastic, that'll learn them.
HEADCRAB!!!! Eh?...**edited**

-------

I'm off out now, but I'm replaying this from the start tomorrow to savour it again.
Absolutely worth the wait and 4hrs online faffing about.
Buy it
Thu 18/11/04 at 00:50
Regular
"Touched!"
I was gonna say the constant freezing is damn annoying. On my spec it should be near flawless!
Wed 17/11/04 at 12:26
Regular
They did it so people could appreciate the opening few areas which they are entitled to do seeing how much time was spent on the game on the whole.

It must be crazy to work on something for 6 years only to see it boil down to one day. No doubt there will be bug fixes along the way however few there are. I just hope they sort the frame freeze issue, that would suit me.
Wed 17/11/04 at 11:54
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> The only annoying thing is that he can't sprint until he gets the
> b*stard suit.

Oh come on! If anything, I was hoping that Freeman would walk slower before he gets the suit, so I could savor the experience more!
Wed 17/11/04 at 11:46
Regular
The only annoying thing is that he can't sprint until he gets the b*stard suit.
Wed 17/11/04 at 11:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Right, back from my evening out.
Shower and scrambled eggs, then I'm starting from the beginning again and playing with every single piece of thing I can chuck at stuff.
Wed 17/11/04 at 10:20
Regular
Counter-Strike Source is my favourite online game of this generation, I just haven't grown tired of the formula even though I must have killed around 500 hours on the original Counter-Strike on PC.

Between that an Unreal Tournament 2004 you will be hooked playing online games for months on end.
Wed 17/11/04 at 10:12
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I only bought it yesterday - no pre-load, no nothing. Currently D/L CS: Source files. Funfun.
Wed 17/11/04 at 10:11
Regular
I had it pre-loaded so I only had to unlock the game files. Was up and running within 20 minutes. Sounded a hell of a lot easier for those who did it this way rather than buying the bloody game.
Wed 17/11/04 at 10:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
started dowloading yesterday, got bored and went on Halo 2.

Gonna leave it on today and go out.
Wed 17/11/04 at 09:55
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> No, it is a bug. Steam was really unpredictable yesterday and it
> randomly complained that there is no connection even when you were
> wanting to play it offline.

Yeah, I lost a connection and it took me 1hr twenty of retyping my password to try something else. I eventually deleted steam/clientregistry.blob, as once this is gone steam tries to repeadedly connect to update without having to type a password. Once it connected, updated and kept the connection open, it asked for my password and I was flying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.