GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"American Influence on Politics?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/03/05 at 22:03
Regular
"SOUP!"
Here's the bare-bones of an essay I don't have the time to write now, but I want your opinions on it;

After all the IRA bombings and terrorism within England, notably Manchester and London strikes, no anti-terror bill was passes.

After the 9/11 attack, an incident which had no direct effect on Britain as a nation (economic effects are indirect) then as a direct consequence the anti-terror bill is introduced.

Seems to be like America holds a greater influence over British politics than we'd like to beleive.

Discuss, I find this whole topic rather... debatable.
Thu 17/03/05 at 22:39
Regular
"SOUP!"
It's not an essay for any specific purpose, just something I'd like to write because the subject matter is something that interests me, unlike the 'Was Nazi Germany a Totalitarian State?' stuff I'm suffocating in at the moment with A levels.

I think the 1984 reference is a good example, the war, albeit metaphorical, is still a war. The enemy does keep changing, like in 1984, and the freedoms are being ebbed away (house arrest without trial).
Thu 17/03/05 at 16:00
"Mimmargh!"
How many words Paradox? You could talk about all kinds of stuff in this essay.
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:49
Regular
"8==="
So to simplify:

Has anyone actually played C&C? ;D
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:45
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Heh. Are you as hungover as I am?

Basically, the whole creation of a false war which is fought out of sight and is used as an excuse to keep the populace scared and reliant on the government to protect them from this "threat".

Plus the consumerist society we live in; we're encouraged to use up more and more resources, and the wars that are fought are over access to those resources, which are needed to keep the populace consuming, which leads to more wars for resources and...

Well, you see what I mean.
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:38
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
I think i see where your going with that, but for the bits of my Brain that still arn't sure, can you explain? :)
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:34
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Has anyone actually even read 1984....?
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:33
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
With regards to the origional post, do you not think the very defenition of Terrorism in the mainstream has changed in recent years? Perhaps there is some reason there??? Meh *shrugs shoulders*
Thu 17/03/05 at 15:31
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Paradox: wrote:
> yeah that flu thing is a good one.
>
> Government controls media informs the uneducated
> masses

lol, yes, because Tony Blair loves reading in the papers how big a terd he is???
Thu 17/03/05 at 09:45
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, the two both benefit. Papers get to sell copies telling people what to be afraid of and who to vote for to protect you from this vil threat (be it terrorists, thieving immigrants, hospital superbugs, new EU member states... etc) and the government (or certain political parties, dependant on the paper/article) get some people wanting to vote for them to help make sure these evil threats are eradicated, and at the same time don't have to worry about making real improvements because they just sit back and say they are pouring resources into protecting us in 'these troubled times' or whatever...

Hey, I just realised 'vile' is an anagram of 'evil'. Just call me genius...
Wed 16/03/05 at 22:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
At times the media controls the government - i.e, chasing the Daily Mail vote.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.