GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is it worth getting a GBA SP with DS on the horizon?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/11/04 at 16:35
Regular
There's some pretty damn good deals on the GBA at the moment, and even though I had one and then sold it a month later, I really want another :)

I haven't really been following the games scene, but I'm aware the DS is coming out pretty soon, so I'm asking you learned people if Nintendo will still be producing GBA games, if there will be a further price cuts, and if anyone wants to sell a GBA to me if they're planning on selling it.

And before you ask, the reason I don't want a DS is because I want a handheld primarily to play on the train, and I don't want to spend over a ton on a DS and have it half-inched on the District line a week later.
Thu 18/11/04 at 13:59
"Majestic"
ßulle†† wrote:
> The DS is released in the US on Monday, buy from Importmadness.com and
> you'll get it on Wednesday for £107.97 - cheaper than
> Videogamesplus.ca.

Really?

It says on the site that it’s Sold Out - and any orders placed now will be filled 3 weeks after the release.

I was going to order one today, but the big, ugly, red SOLD OUT text on importmadness.com put me off...
Thu 18/11/04 at 12:15
Regular
"Bow to me!"
The future for GBA releases seems to be limited now. I image after 2005 it will be an obsolete design. The DS will be a far more effective killing machine.
Thu 18/11/04 at 10:12
Regular
GBA SP does many things a DS cannot.

. It plays GB and GBC games.

. It connects to the Gamecube for connectivity.

. It allows you to play multiplayer with the GBA games.

You see the GBA slot is likely to be used as an expansion slot for things like a camera and so forth and Nintendo saw it worthwhile to allow GBA games to work. But you can't link them up with anything, not with another GBA cart or with the Gamecube. So no connectivity or multiplayer.

The next Gameboy will allow connectivity in multiplayer and play GBC/GB games...

Also the DS doesn't play ALL GBA games.

But if all you want is a single player GBA games, wait for the DS.
Thu 18/11/04 at 07:01
Regular
The DS is released in the US on Monday, buy from Importmadness.com and you'll get it on Wednesday for £107.97 - cheaper than Videogamesplus.ca.
Wed 17/11/04 at 20:24
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
I think I should sell it before more people start hearing about the DS...
Wed 17/11/04 at 20:23
Regular
"Stridman in disguis"
Same here, my SP is new.
Wed 17/11/04 at 20:22
"period drama"
I wouldn't bother.
Even I feel a little cheated and I got my SP about 4 months ago - didn't expect the DS to be out so soon.
Wed 17/11/04 at 19:01
Regular
I would just import a DS sir.
Wed 17/11/04 at 17:15
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Well I'd say no. I mean, if you get the DS from the States you could get it very soon. Within a fortnight maybe. The DS displays GBA games in much higher clarity say IGN.com with it's TFT backlit screens compared to the front-lit LCD one in the SP.
Some people don't like importing but the fact is buying it from America - even with shipping - you're looking at probably a cheaper price than buying it in the UK. And you don't have to wait until March.

Nintendo are producing more GBA games, but after this final wave.. I don't know how much more there are going to be. Emerald is the last Pokémon on GBA, Minish Cap was the last Zelda. There's still stuff like Wario Ware 2 to look forward to, in fact the GBA in Europe next year will have a very strong lineup indeed - although this is because all the games will have been made to be in Japan before the DS came out. However much Nintendo claim it's a 3rd Pillar, too many people are seeing it as a replacement for the GBA - especially with it's backwards compatability.

A word of warning though. If you want to link up to the Cube or other GBAs, the DS can't do it. Although I doubt you'll be bothered about that.
Wed 17/11/04 at 16:35
Regular
There's some pretty damn good deals on the GBA at the moment, and even though I had one and then sold it a month later, I really want another :)

I haven't really been following the games scene, but I'm aware the DS is coming out pretty soon, so I'm asking you learned people if Nintendo will still be producing GBA games, if there will be a further price cuts, and if anyone wants to sell a GBA to me if they're planning on selling it.

And before you ask, the reason I don't want a DS is because I want a handheld primarily to play on the train, and I don't want to spend over a ton on a DS and have it half-inched on the District line a week later.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.