GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC buying advice....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/03/05 at 13:48
Regular
Posted this in the gaming forum and then realised this place existed, so ummm here's the same post again.

Looking into getting a PC and to be honest I know jack all about computers these days. So I'd be greatful of any advice you can give me on specs to be looking for. I want a good PC that won't need to be upgraded for a while, doesn't have to be top of the range though.

Oh and also where's a good place to look for one? I'm the sort of idiot who buys the first one he sets eyes on when he walks into PC world so I really could do with some advice.

Oh and please don't tell me I'd be best off making it myself. I know it'd probably work out a lot cheaper but I have neither the time or the L337 skills for something like that.

Cheers for the help...if you helped.
Sun 13/03/05 at 13:48
Regular
Posted this in the gaming forum and then realised this place existed, so ummm here's the same post again.

Looking into getting a PC and to be honest I know jack all about computers these days. So I'd be greatful of any advice you can give me on specs to be looking for. I want a good PC that won't need to be upgraded for a while, doesn't have to be top of the range though.

Oh and also where's a good place to look for one? I'm the sort of idiot who buys the first one he sets eyes on when he walks into PC world so I really could do with some advice.

Oh and please don't tell me I'd be best off making it myself. I know it'd probably work out a lot cheaper but I have neither the time or the L337 skills for something like that.

Cheers for the help...if you helped.
Sun 13/03/05 at 13:51
Regular
"Unretired"
How much are you willing to spend on a PC?
Sun 13/03/05 at 13:58
Regular
Probably about £1000 I reckon.

I could push to more but I'd rather not to be honest.
Sun 13/03/05 at 14:01
Regular
"Bicycle"
www.scan.co.uk

:D :D

Oh and for that much, make sure you get a decent GFX card, such as a 6800GT or X850 or X800XT PE.

Also, 1GB of RAM or over, obviously.
Sun 13/03/05 at 14:22
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Oh and please don't tell me I'd be best off making it myself. I know
> it'd probably work out a lot cheaper but I have neither the time or
> the L337 skills for something like that.

It is as easy as lego with screws.

But, there again, not everyone has the time etc.

So I guess you want a 'ready built' machine? Word of advice, don't go to PC World, whatever the television adverts tell you.

DELL are good for first time buyers and they make pretty good machines too, you could give them a try.

I can imagine this post getting deleted, so to keep the staff happy, er, MAXX PC's are a possibility.
Sun 13/03/05 at 14:32
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamesfreak wrote:
> It is as easy as lego with screws.

true, tis massively easy.
>
> But, there again, not everyone has the time etc.

again true.
>
> So I guess you want a 'ready built' machine? Word of advice, don't go
> to PC World, whatever the television adverts tell you.

absolutely, PC World is awful. the staff know nothing, they're no help and their after-sales "care" is beyond funny.
>
> DELL are good for first time buyers and they make pretty good
> machines too, you could give them a try.

yeah, they just bought a load of these at uni and they're pretty nippy.
>
> I can imagine this post getting deleted, so to keep the staff happy,
> er, MAXX PC's are a possibility.

they're ok. certainly a lot better than they used to be... which isn't hard.
Sun 13/03/05 at 14:34
Regular
"8==="
Dell.

Good mix and matching setup.
Sun 13/03/05 at 16:06
Regular
"Bicycle"
Grrr.

Dell is crap.

End of discussion.

They also are absolute sh*te for upgrading...
Sun 13/03/05 at 16:43
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Don't go near a Dell
Sun 13/03/05 at 17:16
Regular
"8==="
Weird.

Mine works fine and runs everything in a sturdy reliable way. Also the upgrades have been easy sorted (chucked in a new DVD and HD a few months back, a friend put a new modem and ethernet card in a few years back to).

I did get it in '99 so perhaps they've gotten worse since then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.