GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC buying advice....."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 13/03/05 at 13:48
Regular
Posted this in the gaming forum and then realised this place existed, so ummm here's the same post again.

Looking into getting a PC and to be honest I know jack all about computers these days. So I'd be greatful of any advice you can give me on specs to be looking for. I want a good PC that won't need to be upgraded for a while, doesn't have to be top of the range though.

Oh and also where's a good place to look for one? I'm the sort of idiot who buys the first one he sets eyes on when he walks into PC world so I really could do with some advice.

Oh and please don't tell me I'd be best off making it myself. I know it'd probably work out a lot cheaper but I have neither the time or the L337 skills for something like that.

Cheers for the help...if you helped.
Thu 17/03/05 at 08:12
Regular
An X850XT will last him way more than a year, especially if Tilta nabs a decent processor, some decent RAM with room for further expansion.

I know with my righ everything runs flawlessly with everything on full settings and stupidly high frame rates and I can't see anything over the next 18-24 months that is going to stop it from continuing that way, possibly further.

Excellent choice of card. Is it the official ATI X850 or is it by Sapphire etc?
Thu 17/03/05 at 01:17
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I've decided to go for a 256 Raddeon X850XT instead.
>
> It's damn expensive but it should last me....hopefully.

For a year :P
Really with a PCI-X slot you should be fine for the next year along with that card actually. I'll be waiting till September at least till I get a new computer as I'll probably be able to get something slightly more powerful than now for cheaper then.
Wed 16/03/05 at 21:13
Regular
I've decided to go for a 256 Raddeon X850XT instead.

It's damn expensive but it should last me....hopefully.
Wed 16/03/05 at 16:56
Regular
"Bicycle"
9600XT for six months so far, not run into any troubles in running games on high (not highest obviously, 1280x1024 with 2xAA and 2xAF).

Current spec:

P4 3.2
1.25 GB RAM (3200 - just bought 2x 512 in dual, then stuck in the only other PC3200 stick I had... 256 + 1024... A lot of power :D.)
9600XT

Other stuff.
Wed 16/03/05 at 16:14
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> I would suggest the x800 if you wanted to future proof but it's not
> really that important.
>
> Things change so much anyway, 3 months time all the computer people
> will be saying their previous suggestion is now crap.

And then 6 months on another card will come out...
Wed 16/03/05 at 15:25
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I pressed twice
Wed 16/03/05 at 15:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Also, for WoW that card should be fine.
If you remember Goatboy's screenshots were with the 9800Pro which as Biggles said is GeForce's comparison.

I'm surprised I know stuff
Wed 16/03/05 at 15:23
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I would suggest the x800 if you wanted to future proof but it's not really that important.

Things change so much anyway, 3 months time all the computer people will be saying their previous suggestion is now crap.
Tue 15/03/05 at 23:43
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Coin wrote:
> Also - what's the point in blowing £300 on a graphics card?
> £300 buys you 10 games. And the whole point of upping your PC
> is to play games. So play more, and worry less.

So you can play games in all there glory.

On the graphics card side of things then the 6600 GT is a good card, at work we are demoing a 3.2Ghz P4, 512Mb RAM and the 6600 GT card and its playing Splinter Cell with nice graphics. If you have got a limit and your not a big gamer than that card will be fine. If you are building a machine for games than getting the top spec card is always worth it.

When I got my 9800 Pro it was £330, which is alot of money but it meant I could play games at top whack. If I had thought about spending just half that then a 9600 Pro would have got and by now I would have to upgrade to something like a 9800 Pro for £100 or so, so in fact I would have saved no money in getting a cheaper card and yet have not had the pleasure of running games on top graphical settings.
Tue 15/03/05 at 21:54
Regular
"Bicycle"
Pssh, generally it's fine.

However Realtek pish me off with their whole incopatibility issues with iTunes, which is why a cheap (<£20) card is a good bet for a music / multimedia machine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.