GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are games too expensive?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/05/01 at 12:48
Regular
Tony will probably lynch me for this but, here goes:

Are games too expensive? I believe they are. The games industry is bigger than film now, and games cost far less to produce than films, but still, we spend £40 on a game we get to keep forever, but you only need to spend £5 on a film you see once. Even if you buy a film, it’s only about £12. I am not blaming the retailers for this situation, as they have to make a profit on what they buy. I blame the publishers and the Government. In my eyes, a CD costs 50p to make. You pay developers £10,000 a month, and there’s a team of 20 for 7 months. That’s $1,400,000. You sell, say, 1 million copies of a game, at say, £30. That’s £30,000,000. WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO???

I think Tony should clear this up for me, or am I right? Are we paying way over the odds for games?

Discuss:
Tue 22/05/01 at 12:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tony will probably lynch me for this but, here goes:

Are games too expensive? I believe they are. The games industry is bigger than film now, and games cost far less to produce than films, but still, we spend £40 on a game we get to keep forever, but you only need to spend £5 on a film you see once. Even if you buy a film, it’s only about £12. I am not blaming the retailers for this situation, as they have to make a profit on what they buy. I blame the publishers and the Government. In my eyes, a CD costs 50p to make. You pay developers £10,000 a month, and there’s a team of 20 for 7 months. That’s $1,400,000. You sell, say, 1 million copies of a game, at say, £30. That’s £30,000,000. WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO???

I think Tony should clear this up for me, or am I right? Are we paying way over the odds for games?

Discuss:
Tue 22/05/01 at 12:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Considering "platinum" or "budget" titles are sold at up to 50% off, they still make a profit otherwise they wouldn't have that price.

So yes, I feel we are ripped off.
But it's not SR and other retailers that set the price, they have a certain amount of leeway, but the bulk purchase price that the developers/distributors set.

If you ran a store and bought the game at £15 trade, you need a decent mark up yourself otherwise your company will sink.

What can you do?
Tue 22/05/01 at 12:52
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Yeah we do pay too much. Trouble is we always have done and always will do. Oh well call me a sucker.
Tue 22/05/01 at 12:55
"High polygon count"
Sucker.
Tue 22/05/01 at 12:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I pity da fool.
Good job my custom GMVC van is helluva fast

Now, back to da day centre.

Sucka
Tue 22/05/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
> Considering "platinum" or "budget" titles are
> sold at up to 50% off, they still make a profit otherwise they
> wouldn't have that price.

Although... Platinum games are games that were previously sold a full price...
Tue 22/05/01 at 13:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, but even at Platinum price, they must still be making a profit, you wouldnt sell anything at a loss.

So if you can sell for £15-£20 and make a tidy sum, why charge £30-£40?
Tue 22/05/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
So if you can sell
> for £15-£20 and make a tidy sum, why charge
> £30-£40?

To cover the development costs, advertising, initial distribution...

Distributors also have to cover their losses on games that dont do so well and games that never materialise or that are cancelled...

Eidos nearly collapsed after the failure of Daikatana... its taking them the profits from a few later releases to cover their losses...

Platinum editions are ways of making extra cash for a products that would otherwise just be dropped...
Tue 22/05/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Fair enough, I wanted an answer and I got one.

Daikatana...phew, what a floater
Tue 22/05/01 at 18:26
Regular
Are games too expensive?

I think that depends on what sort of games you play, and how you play them.

That might sound a bit stupid, but if you buy, say, Final Fantasy 9, it costs you £40, you play it all the way through, and do everything you can do, you are getting good value.

On the other hand, there are plenty of games that you can pay £40 for and get next to nothing!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.